Canadian Respiratory Journal

Canadian Respiratory Journal / 2004 / Article

Original Article | Open Access

Volume 11 |Article ID 780482 | https://doi.org/10.1155/2004/780482

Benjamin Sohmer, Gregory L Bryson, Steven Bencze, Maria Mouroukas Scharf, "EMLA Cream is an Effective Topical Anesthetic for Bronchoscopy", Canadian Respiratory Journal, vol. 11, Article ID 780482, 2 pages, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1155/2004/780482

EMLA Cream is an Effective Topical Anesthetic for Bronchoscopy

Abstract

BACKGROUND: EMLA cream (AstraZeneca Inc, Canada) (1:1 eutectic mixture of lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5%) has traditionally been used for topical anesthesia of the skin. Recent reports of EMLA's use for anesthesia of the oral mucosa suggest an application in topical anesthesia for bronchoscopy.OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the amount of local anesthetic administered during bronchoscopy; to assess the time required to obtain topical anesthesia; to assess the quality of the topical anesthesia as described by bronchoscopists; and to document any complications.METHODS: Fifty-seven unpremedicated patients had 4 mL of EMLA cream applied to the posterior third of their tongues on arrival in the bronchoscopy suite. Liquid lidocaine was applied through the bronchoscope for laryngeal anesthesia.RESULTS: The mean time from the application of EMLA cream to insertion of the bronchoscope was 5.10±0.48 min. Fifty-six patients (98.2%) required no supplemental anesthesia. Bronchoscopy conditions were described as 'excellent' in 55 cases (96.5%) and 'good' in the remaining two cases (3.5%).CONCLUSIONS: EMLA is an effective alternative for oropharyngeal topical anesthesia that is well-tolerated by patients.

Copyright © 2004 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.


More related articles

 PDF Download Citation Citation
 Order printed copiesOrder
Views136
Downloads433
Citations

Related articles

We are committed to sharing findings related to COVID-19 as quickly as possible. We will be providing unlimited waivers of publication charges for accepted research articles as well as case reports and case series related to COVID-19. Review articles are excluded from this waiver policy. Sign up here as a reviewer to help fast-track new submissions.