- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 401487, 10 pages
Migraine and Despair: Factors Associated with Depression and Suicidal Ideation among Canadian Migraineurs in a Population-Based Study
1Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A1
2Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 3M7
Received 29 July 2013; Revised 30 August 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Frans G. Zitman
Copyright © 2013 Esme Fuller-Thomson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Migraine Foundation, “36 million Migraine Campaign,” 2013, https://www.americanmigrainefoundation.org/assets/1/7/36millionmigrainecampaign_v4.pdf.
- F. G. Freitag, “The cycle of migraine: patients' quality of life during and between migraine attacks,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 939–949, 2007.
- R. B. Lipton, W. F. Stewart, S. Diamond, M. L. Diamond, and M. Reed, “Prevalence and burden of migraine in the United States: data from the American Migraine Study II,” Headache, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 646–657, 2001.
- D. C. Buse and R. B. Lipton, “Global perspectives on the burden of episodic and chronic migraine,” Cephalalgia, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 885–890, 2013.
- H. Gilmour and K. Wilkins, “Migraine,” Health Report, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 23–40, 2001.
- S. W. Hamelsky and R. B. Lipton, “Psychiatric comorbidity of migraine,” Headache, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1327–1333, 2006.
- W. F. Stewart, J. A. Ricci, E. Chee, D. Morganstein, and R. Lipton, “Lost productive time and cost due to common pain conditions in the US workforce,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 18, pp. 2443–2454, 2003.
- N. Breslau, L. R. Schultz, W. F. Stewart, R. B. Lipton, V. C. Lucia, and K. M. A. Welch, “Headache and major depression: is the association specific to migraine?” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 308–313, 2000.
- N. Jette, S. Patten, J. Williams, W. Becker, and S. Wiebe, “Comorbidity of migraine and psychiatric disorders—a national population-based study,” Headache, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 501–516, 2008.
- R. B. Lipton, S. W. Hamelsky, K. B. Kolodner, T. J. Steiner, and W. F. Stewart, “Migraine, quality of life, and depression: a population-based case-control study,” Neurology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 629–635, 2000.
- J.-A. Zwart, G. Dyb, K. Hagen et al., “Depression and anxiety disorders associated with headache frequency. The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2003.
- L. A. McWilliams, R. D. Goodwin, and B. J. Cox, “Depression and anxiety associated with three pain conditions: results from a nationally representative sample,” Pain, vol. 111, no. 1-2, pp. 77–83, 2004.
- G. E. Ratcliffe, M. W. Enns, F. Jacobi, S.-L. Belik, and J. Sareen, “The relationship between migraine and mental disorders in a population-based sample,” General Hospital Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2009.
- T. W. Victor, X. Hu, J. Campbell, R. E. White, D. C. Buse, and R. B. Lipton, “Association between migraine, anxiety and depression,” Cephalalgia, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 567–575, 2010.
- N. Breslau, R. B. Lipton, W. F. Stewart, L. R. Schultz, and K. M. A. Welch, “Comorbidity of migraine and depression: investigating potential etiology and prognosis,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 1308–1312, 2003.
- E. A. Schur, C. Noonan, D. Buchwald, J. Goldberg, and N. Afari, “A twin study of depression and migraine: evidence for a shared genetic vulnerability,” Headache, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 1493–1502, 2009.
- A. H. Stam, B. De Vries, A. C. J. W. Janssens et al., “Shared genetic factors in migraine and depression: evidence from a genetic isolate,” Neurology, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 288–294, 2010.
- N. Breslau, G. C. Davis, and P. Andreski, “Migraine, psychiatric disorders, and suicide attempts: an epidemiologic study of young adults,” Psychiatry Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 11–23, 1991.
- G. E. Ratcliffe, M. W. Enns, S.-L. Belik, and J. Sareen, “Chronic pain conditions and suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: an epidemiologic perspective,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 204–210, 2008.
- N. Breslau, L. Schultz, R. Lipton, E. Peterson, and K. M. A. Welch, “Migraine Headaches and Suicide Attempt,” Headache, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 723–731, 2012.
- Statistics Canada, “Canadian Community Health Survey (CCHS),” Ottawa, Canada, 2005, http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SurvId=3226&SurvVer=0&InstaId=15282&InstaVer=3&SDDS=3226&lang=en&db=imdb&adm=8&dis=2.
- R. C. Kessler, G. Andrews, D. Mroczek, B. Ustun, and H. U. Wittchen, “The World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short-Form (CIDI-SF),” International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 171–185, 1998.
- R. B. Lipton, A. I. Scher, K. Kolodner, J. Liberman, T. J. Steiner, and W. F. Stewart, “Migraine in the United States: epidemiology and patterns of health care use,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 885–894, 2002.
- R. R. Taylor, L. A. Jason, and S. C. Jahn, “Chronic fatigue and sociodemographic characteristics as predictors of psychiatric disorders in a community-based sample,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 896–901, 2003.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, “Screening for suicide risk: a systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force,” RTI International Evidence-Based Practice Center, North Carolina, 2004, http://www.ahrq.gov/downloads/pub/prevent/pdfser/suicidser.pdf.
- A. W. Helvig and P. Minick, “Adolescents and headaches: maintaining control,” Pediatric Nursing, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2013.
- I. Kawachi and L. F. Berkman, “Social ties and mental health,” Journal of Urban Health, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 458–467, 2001.
- S. Cho, I. D. Zunin, P. J. Chao, E. M. Heiby, and J. McKoy, “Effects of pain controllability and discrepancy in social support on depressed mood among patients with chronic pain,” International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 270–279, 2012.
- E. Fuller-Thomson and J. Sulman, “Depression and inflammatory bowel disease: findings from two nationally representative Canadian surveys,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 697–707, 2006.
- A. M. Blumenfeld, S. F. Varon, T. K. Wilcox et al., “Disability, HRQoL and resource use among chronic and episodic migraineurs: results from the International Burden of Migraine Study (IBMS),” Cephalalgia, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 301–315, 2011.
- J. Bromberg, M. E. Wood, R. A. Black, D. A. Surette, K. L. Zacharoff, and E. J. Chiauzzi, “A randomized trial of a web-based intervention to improve migraine self-management and coping,” Headache, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 244–261, 2012.
- Y. Okura, L. H. Urban, D. W. Mahoney, S. J. Jacobsen, and R. J. Rodeheffer, “Agreement between self-report questionnaires and medical record data was substantial for diabetes, hypertension, myocardial infarction and stroke but not for heart failure,” Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 1096–1103, 2004.
- T. Oksanen, M. Kivimäki, J. Pentti, M. Virtanen, T. Klaukka, and J. Vahtera, “Self-report as an indicator of incident disease,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 547–554, 2010.