- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Depression Research and Treatment
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 640861, 8 pages
A Low-Cost Point-of-Care Testing System for Psychomotor Symptoms of Depression Affecting Standing Balance: A Preliminary Study in India
1The Gnan Systems LLP, Kolkata 700156, India
2The Dharma Foundation of India, New Delhi 110003, India
3The Neuro Rehab Services LLP, New Delhi 110048, India
4The Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, 10117 Berlin, Germany
5Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique (INRIA), 34090 Montpellier, France
Received 4 July 2013; Accepted 17 August 2013
Academic Editor: Charles B. Nemeroff
Copyright © 2013 Arindam Dutta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. G. Pollock and C. F. Reynolds III, “Depression late in life,” The Harvard Mental Health Letter, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 3–5, 2000.
- B. D. Lebowitz, J. L. Pearson, L. S. Schneider et al., “Diagnosis and treatment of depression in late life: consensus statement update,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 278, no. 14, pp. 1186–1190, 1997.
- Union health ministry's working group on non-communicable disease burden in India, 2013, http://planningcommission.nic.in/aboutus/committee/wrkgrp12/health/WG_3_2non_communicable.pdf.
- G. A. R. Zijlstra, J. C. M. van Haastregt, J. T. M. van Eijk, E. van Rossum, P. A. Stalenhoef, and G. I. J. M. Kempen, “Prevalence and correlates of fear of falling, and associated avoidance of activity in the general population of community-living older people,” Age and Ageing, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 304–309, 2007.
- C. Sobin and H. A. Sackeim, “Psychomotor symptoms of depression,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 4–17, 1997.
- R. Kumar, R. Aikat, and A. Banerjee, “Relationship between balance and depression in elderly,” in Proceedings of the the 2nd IASTED International Conference on Assistive Technologies, 2012.
- K. Berg, “Measuring balance in the elderly: preliminary development of an instrument,” Physiotherapy Canada, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 304–311, 1989.
- J. A. Yesavage, T. L. Brink, and T. L. Rose, “Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: a preliminary report,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–49, 1982.
- A. Dutta, A. Banerjee, and A. Dutta, “Low-cost visual postural feedback with Wii balance board and Microsoft Kinect—a feasibility study,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Point-of-Care Healthcare Technologies (PHT '13), pp. 291–294, 2013.
- M. Ganguli and S. Dube, “Depressive symptoms, cognitive impairment and functional impairment in a rural elderly population in India,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 807–820, 1999.
- M. Ganguli, G. Ratcliff, V. Chandra et al., “A Hindi version of the MMSE: the development of a cognitive screening instrument for a largely illiterate rural elderly population in India,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 367–377, 1995.
- The Emotiv EEG Neuroheadset specifications, 2013, http://emotiv.wikia.com/wiki/Emotiv_EPOC.
- F. Koslucher, M. G. Wade, B. Nelson, K. Lim, F. C. Chen, and T. A. Stoffregen, “Nintendo Wii Balance Board is sensitive to effects of visual tasks on standing sway in healthy elderly adults,” Gait Posture, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 605–608, 2012.
- The WiiBrew website, 2013, http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Balance_Board.
- A. Delorme and S. Makeig, “EEGLAB: an open source toolbox for analysis of single-trial EEG dynamics including independent component analysis,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2004.
- V. A. Grin-Yatsenko, I. Baas, V. A. Ponomarev, and J. D. Kropotov, “EEG power spectra at early stages of depressive disorders,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 401–406, 2009.
- P. W. Duncan, S. Studenski, J. Chandler, and B. Prescott, “Functional reach: predictive validity in a sample of elderly male veterans,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. M93–M98, 1992.
- T. C. Hankins and G. F. Wilson, “A comparison of heart rate, eye activity, EEC and subjective measures of pilot mental workload during flight,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 360–367, 1998.
- N. Kose, S. Cuvalci, G. Ekici, A. S. Otman, and M. G. Karakaya, “The risk factors of fall and their correlation with balance, depression, cognitive impairment and mobility skills in elderly nursing home residents,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 978–981, 2005.
- L. Rochester, V. Hetherington, D. Jones et al., “Attending to the task: interference effects of functional tasks on walking in Parkinson's disease and the roles of cognition, depression, fatigue, and balance,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1578–1585, 2004.
- H. Suárez, A. Suárez, and L. Lavinsky, “Postural adaptation in elderly patients with instability and risk of falling after balance training using a virtual-reality system,” International Tinnitus Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 41–44, 2006.
- R. A. Newton, “Balance screening of an inner city older adult population,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 587–591, 1997.
- A. J. Sai, J. C. Gallagher, L. M. Smith, and S. Logsdon, “Fall predictors in the community dwelling elderly: a cross sectional and prospective cohort study,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Neuronal Interactions, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 142–150, 2010.
- The FallAlert Android App, 2013, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnansys.fallalert.
- M. A. S. Boksem, T. F. Meijman, and M. M. Lorist, “Effects of mental fatigue on attention: an ERP study,” Cognitive Brain Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 107–116, 2005.
- C. Stampi, P. Stone, and A. Michimori, “A new quantitative method for assessing sleepiness: the alpha attenuation test,” Work and Stress, vol. 9, no. 2-3, pp. 368–376, 1995.
- C. Sobin, L. Mayer, and J. Endicott, “The motor agitation and retardation scale: a scale for the assessment of motor abnormalities in depressed patients,” Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 85–92, 1998.