- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 135379, 10 pages
Analgesic and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Methanol Extract of Cissus repens in Mice
1Department of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chinese Medicine Resources, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, 91 Hsueh-Shih Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan
2Department of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan
3Department of Biotechnology, TransWorld University, 1221 Zhennan Rd., Douliu City, Yunlin County 640, Taiwan
Received 1 June 2012; Revised 25 July 2012; Accepted 5 August 2012
Academic Editor: Jairo Kenupp Bastos
Copyright © 2012 Ching-Wen Chang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. R. Janero, “Malondialdehyde and thiobarbituric acid-reactivity as diagnostic indices of lipid peroxidation and peroxidative tissue injury,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 515–540, 1990.
- Y. H. Wand, Z. K. Zhang, H. P. HE et al., “Lignans and Triterpenoids from Cissus repens,” Acta Botanica Yunnanica, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 433–437, 2006.
- Y. H. Wang, Z. K. Zhang, H. P. He et al., “Stilbene C-glucosides from Cissus repens,” Journal of Asian Natural Products Research, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 631–636, 2007.
- S. J. Tsai and M. C. Yin, “Antioxidative and anti-inflammatory protection of oleanolic acid and ursolic acid in PC12 cells,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 174–178, 2008.
- J. Lu, Y. L. Zheng, D. M. Wu, L. Luo, D. X. Sun, and Q. Shan, “Ursolic acid ameliorates cognition deficits and attenuates oxidative damage in the brain of senescent mice induced by d-galactose,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 1078–1090, 2007.
- R. Checker, S. K. Sandur, D. Sharma et al., “Potent anti-inflammatory activity of ursolic acid, a triterpenoid antioxidant, is mediated through suppression of NF-κB, AP-1 and NF-AT,” PLoS One, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID Article numbere31318, 2012.
- V. Saratha and S. P. Subramanian, “Lupeol, a triterpenoid isolated from Calotropis gigantea latex ameliorates the primary and secondary complications of FCA induced adjuvant disease in experimental rats,” Inflammopharmacol, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 27–37, 2012.
- H. R. Siddique and M. Saleem, “Beneficial health effects of lupeol triterpene: a review of preclinical studies,” Life sciences, vol. 88, no. 7-8, pp. 285–293, 2011.
- M. Zimmermann, “Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals,” Pain, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1983.
- J. W. Liao, Y. C. Chung, J. Y. Yeh et al., “Safety evaluation of water extracts of Toona sinensis Roemor leaf,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1393–1399, 2007.
- R. Koster, M. Anderson, and E. J. Beer, “Acetic acid for analgesic screening,” Federation Proceeds, vol. 18, pp. 412–416, 1959.
- A. Tjølsen, O. G. Berge, S. Hunskaar, J. H. Rosland, and K. Hole, “The formalin test: an evaluation of the method,” Pain, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 5–17, 1992.
- R. Vinegar, W. Schreiber, and R. Hugo, “Biphasic development of carrageenin edema in rats,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 96–103, 1969.
- V. L. Tatum, C. Changchit, and C. K. Chow, “Measurement of malondialdehyde by high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection,” Lipids, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 226–229, 1990.
- H. Moshage, B. Kok, J. R. Huizenga, and P. L. M. Jansen, “Nitrite and nitrate determinations in plasma: a critical evaluation,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 892–896, 1995.
- T. Ataoǧlu, M. Üngör, B. Serpek, S. Haliloǧlu, H. Ataoǧlu, and H. Ari, “Interleukin-1β and tumour necrosis factor-α levels in periapical exudates,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 181–185, 2002.
- N. Petrovic and M. Murray, “Using N,N,N',N'-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine (TMPD) to assay cyclooxygenase activity in vitro,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 594, pp. 129–140, 2010.
- M. Vani, G. P. Reddy, G. R. Reddy, K. Thyagaraju, and P. Reddanna, “Glutathione-S-transferase, superoxide dismutase, xanthine oxidase, catalase, glutathione peroxidase and lipid peroxidation in the liver of exercised rats,” Biochemistry International, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 1990.
- I. Ceballos-Picot, J. M. Trivier, A. Nicole, P. M. Sinet, and M. Thevenin, “Age-correlated modifications of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and glutathione-related enzyme activities in human erythrocytes,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 66–70, 1992.
- F. B. Ahmad and D. K. Holdsworth, “Medicinal plants of Sabah, Malaysia, Part II. The Muruts,” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 378–383, 1994.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- L. C. L. Araújo, E. C. Marin, and P. Morigushi, “Estudos preliminares das atividades farmacológicas e toxicológicas do extrato hidroalcoólico de Cissus succicaulis Bak er,” in Proceedings of the 14th Simpósio de Plantas Medicinais do Brasil, Florianópolis, Brazil, 1996.
- M. N. Manjavachi, N. L. M. Quintão, M. M. Campos et al., “The effects of the selective and non-peptide CXCR2 receptor antagonist SB225002 on acute and long-lasting models of nociception in mice,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2010.
- A. J. Reeve and A. H. Dickenson, “The roles of spinal adenosine receptors in the control of acute and more persistent nociceptive responses of dorsal horn neurones in the anaesthetized rat,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 2221–2228, 1995.
- K. Seibert, Y. Zhang, K. Leahy et al., “Pharmacological and biochemical demonstration of the role of cyclooxygenase 2 in inflammation and pain,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 25, pp. 12013–12017, 1994.
- D. Salvemini, Z. Q. Wang, P. S. Wyatt et al., “Nitric oxide: a key mediator in the early and late phase of carrageenan-induced rat paw inflammation,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 829–838, 1996.
- L. C. Loram, A. Fuller, L. G. Fick, T. Cartmell, S. Poole, and D. Mitchell, “Cytokine profiles during carrageenan-induced inflammatory hyperalgesia in rat muscle and hind paw,” Journal of Pain, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 127–136, 2007.
- J. Chao, T. C. Lu, J. W. Liao et al., “Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of ethanol root extract of Mahonia oiwakensis in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 2009.
- Y. Vodovotz, P. K. M. Kim, E. Z. Bagci et al., “Inflammatory modulation of hepatocyte apoptosis by nitric oxide: in vivo, in vitro, and in silico studies,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 753–762, 2004.
- H. Holthusen and J. O. Arndt, “Nitric oxide evokes pain in humans on intracutaneous injection,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 165, no. 1-2, pp. 71–74, 1994.
- C. Bogdan, “Nitric oxide and the immune response,” Nature Immunology, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 907–916, 2001.
- M. Di Rosa, J. P. Giroud, and D. A. Willoughby, “Studies on the mediators of the acute inflammatory response induced in rats in different sites by carrageenan and turpentine,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 15–29, 1971.
- A. G. Semb, J. Vaage, and O. D. Mjos, “Oxygen free radical producing leukocytes cause functional depression of isolated rat hearts: role of leukotrienes,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 555–563, 1990.
- A. Kumaran and R. J. Karunakaran, “Activity-guided isolation and identification of free radical-scavenging components from an aqueous extract of Coleus aromaticus,” Food Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 356–361, 2007.
- S. Cuzzocrea, G. Costantino, B. Zingarelli, E. Mazzon, A. Micali, and A. P. Caputi, “The protective role of endogenous glutathione in carrageenan-induced pleurisy in the rat,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 372, no. 2, pp. 187–197, 1999.
- E. L. Nguemfo, T. Dimo, A. B. Dongmo et al., “Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory activities of some isolated constituents from the stem bark of Allanblackia monticola Staner L.C (Guttiferae),” Inflammopharmacology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 2009.
- M. Saleem, “Lupeol, a novel anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer dietary triterpene,” Cancer Letters, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. 109–115, 2009.