- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 241416, 11 pages
Comparative Effects of Er-Xian Decoction, Epimedium Herbs, and Icariin with Estrogen on Bone and Reproductive Tissue in Ovariectomized Rats
1School of Pharmacy, Second Military Medical University, No. 325 Guohe Road, Shanghai 200433, China
2Department of Pharmaceutics, No. 455 Hospital of CPLA, Shanghai 200052, China
3Department of Pharmacy, Fujian University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fuzhou 350108, China
Received 12 July 2012; Revised 27 August 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Ahmad Nazrun Shuid
Copyright © 2012 Liming Xue et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. D. Rachner, S. Khosla, and L. C. Hofbauer, “Osteoporosis: now and the future,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9773, pp. 1276–1287, 2011.
- N. L. Keating, P. D. Cleary, A. S. Rossi, A. M. Zaslavsky, and J. Z. Ayanian, “Use of hormone replacement therapy by postmenopausal women in the United States,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 545–553, 1999.
- L. Speroff, J. Rowan, J. Symons, H. Genant, and W. Wilborn, “The comparative effect on bone density, endometrium, and lipids of continuous hormones as replacement therapy (Chart study): a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 276, no. 17, pp. 1397–1403, 1996.
- J. E. Rossouw, G. L. Anderson, R. L. Prentice et al., “Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: principal results from the women's health initiative randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 3, pp. 321–333, 2002.
- B. Ettinger, “Overview of estrogen replacement therapy: a historical perspective,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 217, no. 1, pp. 2–5, 1998.
- M. G. Glazier and M. A. Bowman, “A review of the evidence for the use of phytoestrogens as a replacement for traditional estrogen replacement therapy,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 161, no. 9, pp. 1161–1172, 2001.
- C. H. Wang, Z. H. Zhang, and J. Ma, “Treatment of 50 cases of osteoporosis with Er-Xian decoction,” Shan Xi Zhong Yi, vol. 19, pp. 205–206, 1998.
- H. Y. Chen, W. C. S. Cho, S. C. W. Sze, and Y. Tong, “Treatment of menopausal symptoms with er-xian decoction: a systematic review,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 233–244, 2008.
- M. S. Lee and B. C. Shin, “Letter to the Editor: further consideration of combining clinical trials of er-xian decoction for menopausal symptoms,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1017–1018, 2008.
- H. Nian, L. P. Qin, Q. Y. Zhang, H. C. Zheng, Y. Yu, and B. K. Huang, “Antiosteoporotic activity of Er-Xian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula, in ovariectomized rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2006.
- L. Qin, T. Han, Q. Zhang et al., “Antiosteoporotic chemical constituents from Er-Xian Decoction, a traditional Chinese herbal formula,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 2008.
- G. Zhang, L. Qin, W. Y. Hung et al., “Flavonoids derived from herbal Epimedium brevicornum maxim prevent OVX-induced osteoporosis in rats independent of its enhancement in intestinal calcium absorption,” Bone, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 818–825, 2006.
- K. Taku, M. K. Melby, J. Takebayashi et al., “Effect of soy isoflavone extract supplements on bone mineral density in menopausal women: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 33–42, 2010.
- A. De Naeyer, V. Pocock, S. Milligan, and D. De Keukeleire, “Estrogenic activity of a polyphenolic extract of the leaves of Epimedium brevicornum,” Fitoterapia, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2005.
- A. Stark and Z. Madar, “Phytoestrogens: a review of recent findings,” Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 561–572, 2002.
- V. S. Lagari and S. Levis, “Phytoestrogens and bone health,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 546–553, 2010.
- C. D. N. Humfrey, “Phytoestrogens and human health effects: weighing up the current evidence,” Natural Toxins, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 51–59, 1998.
- J. C. Gallagher, B. L. Riggs, and J. Eisman, “Intestinal calcium absorption and serum vitamin D metabolites in normal subjects and osteoporotic patients. Effect of age and dietary calcium,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 729–736, 1979.
- C. Martel, S. Picard, V. Richard, A. Bélanger, C. Labrie, and F. Labrie, “Prevention of bone loss by EM-800 and raloxifene in the ovariectomized rat,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 45–56, 2000.
- H. Adlercreutz and F. Martin, “Biliary excretion and intestinal metabolism of progesterone and estrogens in man,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 231–244, 1980.
- J. D. Graham and C. L. Clarke, “Physiological action of progesterone in target tissues,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 502–519, 1997.
- N. Shabani, C. Kuhn, S. Kunze et al., “Prognostic significance of oestrogen receptor alpha (ERα) and beta (ERβ), progesterone receptor A (PR-A) and B (PR-B) in endometrial carcinomas,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 43, no. 16, pp. 2434–2444, 2007.
- E. Powell, E. Shanle, A. Brinkman, et al., “Identification of estrogen receptor dimer selective ligands reveals growth-inhibitory effects on cells that co-express ERα and ERβ,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID e30993, 2012.
- J. Hartman, K. Lindberg, A. Morani, J. Inzunza, A. Ström, and J. Å. Gustafsson, “Estrogen receptor β inhibits angiogenesis and growth of T47D breast cancer xenografts,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 23, pp. 11207–11213, 2006.
- V. De Giorgi, A. Gori, B. Alfaioli et al., “Influence of sex hormones on melanoma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. e94–e95, 2011.
- A. Morani, M. Warner, and J. Å. Gustafsson, “Biological functions and clinical implications of oestrogen receptors alfa and beta in epithelial tissues,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 264, no. 2, pp. 128–142, 2008.
- J. W. Park, H. N. Ahn, and Y. J. Lee, “Activation of estrogen receptor by bavachin from Psoralea corylifolia,” Biomolecules & Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 183–188, 2012.
- H. K. Kang, Y. H. Choi, H. Kwon, et al., “Estrogenic/antiestrogenic activities of Epimedium koreanum extract and its major components: in vitro and in vivo studies,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 2751–2759, 2012.
- H. Nian, M. H. Ma, S. S. Nian, and L. L. Xu, “Antiosteoporotic activity of icariin in ovariectomized rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 320–326, 2009.
- M. N. Makarova, O. N. Pozharitskaya, A. N. Shikov, S. V. Tesakova, V. G. Makarov, and V. P. Tikhonov, “Effect of lipid-based suspension of Epimedium koreanum Nakai extract on sexual behavior in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 412–416, 2007.
- Z. Q. Wang and Y. J. Lou, “Proliferation-stimulating effects of icaritin and desmethylicaritin in MCF-7 cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 504, no. 3, pp. 147–153, 2004.
- K. Vijayanarayana, R. S. Rodrigues, K. S. Chandrashekhar, and E. V. S. Subrahmanyam, “Evaluation of estrogenic activity of alcoholic extract of rhizomes of Curculigo orchioides,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 2007.
- A. Cvoro, S. Paruthiyil, J. O. Jones et al., “Selective activation of estrogen receptor-β transcriptional pathways by an herbal extract,” Endocrinology, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 538–547, 2007.
- H. Nian, L. P. Qin, W. S. Chen, Q. Y. Zhang, H. C. Zheng, and Y. Wang, “Protective effect of steroidal saponins from rhizome of Anemarrhena asphodeloides on ovariectomy-induced bone loss in rats,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 728–734, 2006.
- J. P. Hu, K. Nishishita, E. Sakai et al., “Berberine inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast formation and survival through suppressing the NF-κB and Akt pathways,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 580, no. 1-2, pp. 70–79, 2008.
- L. L. Bao, L. P. Qin, L. Liu, et al., “Anthraquinone compounds from Morinda officinalis inhibit osteoclastic bone resorption in vitro,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 194, pp. 97–105, 2011.
- C. Circosta, R. De Pasquale, D. R. Palumbo, S. Samperi, and F. Occhiuto, “Estrogenic activity of standardized extract of Angelica sinensis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 665–669, 2006.