- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 256561, 15 pages
Evaluation of the Chinese Medicinal Herb, Graptopetalum paraguayense, as a Therapeutic Treatment for Liver Damage in Rat Models
1Institute of Systems Biology and Bioinformatics, National Central University, Jhongli City 32001, Taiwan
2Graduate Institute of Microbiology and Public Health, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 40227, Taiwan
3Division of Molecular and Genomic Medicine, National Health Research Institutes, Miaoli County, Zhunan 35053, Taiwan
4Biomarker Technology Development Division, Biomedical Technology and Device Research Labs, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Hsinchu 31040, Taiwan
5Center for Translational Research in Biomedical Sciences, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung 83301, Taiwan
6Department of Education and Research, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung 40705, Taiwan
7Institute of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
8National Yang-Ming University-VGH Genome Research Center, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Received 1 February 2012; Accepted 9 April 2012
Academic Editor: William C. S. Cho
Copyright © 2012 Li-Jen Su et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. L. Friedman, “Molecular regulation of hepatic fibrosis, an integrated cellular response to tissue injury,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 4, pp. 2247–2250, 2000.
- C. C. Prosser, R. D. Yen, and J. Wu, “Molecular therapy for hepatic injury and fibrosis: where are we?” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 509–515, 2006.
- J. P. Iredale, “Cirrhosis: new research provides a basis for rational and targeted treatments,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7407, pp. 143–147, 2003.
- R. Saller, R. Meier, and R. Brignoli, “The use of silymarin in the treatment of liver diseases,” Drugs, vol. 61, no. 14, pp. 2035–2063, 2001.
- O. F. James, “D-penicillamine for primary biliary cirrhosis,” Gut, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 109–113, 1985.
- J. D. Jia, M. Bauer, J. J. Cho et al., “Antifibrotic effect of silymarin in rat secondary biliary fibrosis is mediated by downregulation of procollagen α1(I) and TIMP-1,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 392–398, 2001.
- Y. C. Rui, “Advances in pharmacological studies of silymarin,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 86, supplement 2, pp. 79–85, 1991.
- M. W. Stavinoha and R. D. Soloway, “Current therapy of chronic liver disease,” Drugs, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 814–840, 1990.
- P. Mavier and A. Mallat, “Perspectives in the treatment of liver fibrosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 111–115, 1995.
- S. L. Friedman, “Seminars in medicine of the Beth Israel Hospital, Boston: the cellular basis of hepatic fibrosis—mechanisms and treatment strategies,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 328, no. 25, pp. 1828–1835, 1993.
- T. W. Lissoos, D. W. Beno, and B. H. Davis, “Hepatic fibrogenesis and its modulation by growth factors,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 225–231, 1992.
- B. Du and S. You, “Present situation in preventing and treating liver fibrosis with TCM drugs,” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2001.
- C. H. Huang, L. Y. Horng, C. F. Chen, and R. T. Wu, “Chinese herb radix polygoni multiflori as a therapeutic drug for liver cirrhosis in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 199–206, 2007.
- I. Shimizu, Y. R. Ma, Y. Mizobuchi et al., “Effects of Sho-saiko-to, a Japanese herbal medicine, on hepatic fibrosis in rats,” Hepatology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 149–160, 1999.
- M. Kusunose, B. Qiu, T. Cui et al., “Effect of Sho-saiko-to extract on hepatic inflammation and fibrosis in dimethylnitrosamine induced liver injury rats,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1417–1421, 2002.
- Y. Imanishi, N. Maeda, K. Otogawa et al., “Herb medicine Inchin-ko-to (TJ-135) regulates PDGF-BB-dependent signaling pathways of hepatic stellate cells in primary culture and attenuates development of liver fibrosis induced by thioacetamide administration in rats,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 242–250, 2004.
- M. Inao, S. Mochida, A. Matsui et al., “Japanese herbal medicine Inchin-ko-to as a therapeutic drug for liver fibrosis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 584–591, 2004.
- A. M. Jézéquel, R. Mancini, M. L. Rinaldesi, G. Macarri, C. Venturini, and F. Orlandi, “A morphological study of the early stages of hepatic fibrosis induced by low doses of dimethylnitrosamine in the rat,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 174–181, 1987.
- L. J. Su, S. L. Hsu, J. S. Yang, H. H. Tseng, S. F. Huang, and C. Y. F. Huang, “Global gene expression profiling of dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver fibrosis: from pathological and biochemical data to microarray analysis,” Gene Expression, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 107–132, 2006.
- R. G. Knodell, K. G. Ishak, W. C. Black, et al., “Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 431–435, 1981.
- K. Ishak, A. Baptista, L. Bianchi et al., “Histological grading and staging of chronic hepatitis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 696–699, 1995.
- S. L. Friedman, “Liver fibrosis—from bench to bedside,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 38, supplement 1, pp. S38–S53, 2003.
- A. Hayasaka and H. Saisho, “Serum markers as tools to monitor liver fibrosis,” Digestion, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 381–384, 1998.
- D. Schuppan, A. Krebs, M. Bauer, and E. G. Hahn, “Hepatitis C and liver fibrosis,” Cell Death & Differentiation, vol. 10, supplement 1, pp. S59–S67, 2003.
- A. M. Gressner, R. Weiskirchen, K. Breitkopf, and S. Dooley, “Roles of TGF-beta in hepatic fibrosis,” Frontiers in Bioscience, vol. 7, pp. d793–d807, 2002.
- M. Bauer and D. Schuppan, “TGFβ1 in liver fibrosis: time to change paradigms?” FEBS Letters, vol. 502, no. 1-2, pp. 1–3, 2001.
- S. Dooley, B. Delvoux, M. Streckert et al., “Transforming growth factor β signal transduction in hepatic stellate cells via Smad2/3 phosphorylation, a pathway that is abrogated during in vitro progression to myofibroblasts: TGFβ signal transduction during transdifferentiation of hepatic stellate cells,” FEBS Letters, vol. 502, no. 1-2, pp. 4–10, 2001.
- S. J. Zuberi, N. A. Jafarey, and T. Z. Lodi, “Liver disease in hepatitis B antigen (HBAg) positive blood donors,” Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. S43–S45, 2004.
- S. Fiorucci, G. Rizzo, E. Antonelli et al., “Cross-talk between farnesoid-x-receptor (FXR) and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ contributes to the antifibrotic activity of FXR ligands in rodent models of liver cirrhosis,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 58–68, 2005.
- F. Al-Shahrour, R. Díaz-Uriarte, and J. Dopazo, “FatiGO: a web tool for finding significant associations of gene ontology terms with groups of genes,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 578–580, 2004.
- L. Ala-Kokko, T. Pihlajaniemi, J. C. Myers, K. I. Kivirikko, and E. R. Savolainen, “Gene expression of type I, III and IV collagens in hepatic fibrosis induced by dimethylnitrosamine in the rat,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 244, no. 1, pp. 75–79, 1987.
- Q. Pan, Z. B. Zhang, X. Zhang et al., “Gene expression profile analysis of the spontaneous reversal of rat hepatic fibrosis by cDNA microarray,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2591–2600, 2007.
- H. Q. Yin, M. Kim, J. H. Kim et al., “Differential gene expression and lipid metabolism in fatty liver induced by acute ethanol treatment in mice,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 223, no. 3, pp. 225–233, 2007.
- A. Mazzocca, V. Carloni, S. Sciammetta et al., “Expression of transmembrane 4 superfamily (TM4SF) proteins and their role in hepatic stellate cell motility and wound healing migration,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 322–330, 2002.
- D. Seth, M. A. Leo, P. H. McGuinness et al., “Gene expression profiling of alcoholic liver disease in the baboon (papio hamadryas) and human liver,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 2303–2317, 2003.
- M. T. Pritchard and L. E. Nagy, “Ethanol-induced liver injury: potential roles for egr-1,” Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, vol. 29, no. 11, supplement 2, pp. 146S–150S, 2005.
- W. Jimenez, J. Claria, V. Arroyo, and J. Rodes, “Carbon tetrachloride induced cirrhosis in rats: a useful tool for investigating the pathogenesis of ascites in chronic liver disease,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 90–97, 1992.
- P. Georgiev, W. Jochum, S. Heinrich et al., “Characterization of time-related changes after experimental bile duct ligation,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 646–656, 2008.