- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 298320, 9 pages
Mitochondria Superoxide Anion Production Contributes to Geranylgeraniol-Induced Death in Leishmania amazonensis
1Programa de Pós-graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Laboratório de Inovação Tecnológica no Desenvolvimento de Fármacos e Cosméticos, Bloco B-08, Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Avenida Colombo 5790, 87020-900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
2Programa de Pós-graduação em Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Avenida Colombo 5790, 87020-900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
Received 5 September 2012; Revised 31 October 2012; Accepted 6 November 2012
Academic Editor: Veronique Seidel
Copyright © 2012 Milene Valéria Lopes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Report on the scientific working group on leishmaniasis,” February 2004, http://www.who.int/tdr/.
- D. C. Soares, C. G. Pereira, M. Meireles, and E. M. Saraiva, “Leishmanicidal activity of a supercritical fluid fraction obtained from Tabernaemontana catharinensis,” Parasitology International, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2007.
- H. Goto and J. A. L. Lindoso, “Current diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous and mucocutaneous leishmaniasis,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 419–433, 2010.
- L. E. da Silva, A. C. Joussef, L. K. Pacheco, D. G. da Silva, M. Steindel, and R. A. Rebelo, “Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of leishmanicidal and trypanocidal activities of N-quinolin-8-yl-arylsulfonamides,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 24, pp. 7553–7560, 2007.
- T. S. Tiuman, T. Ueda-Nakamura, D. A. Cortez et al., “Antileishmanial activity of parthenolide, a sesquiterpene lactone isolated from Tanacetum parthenium,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 176–182, 2005.
- T. Ueda-Nakamura, R. R. Mendonça-Filho, J. A. Morgado-Díaz et al., “Antileishmanial activity of Eugenol-rich essential oil from Ocimum gratissimum,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2006.
- E. Izumi, L. G. Morello, T. Ueda-Nakamura et al., “Trypanosoma cruzi: antiprotozoal activity of parthenolide obtained from Tanacetum parthenium (L.) Schultz Bip. (Asteraceae, Compositae) against epimastigote and amastigote forms,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 324–330, 2008.
- A. O. Santos, T. Ueda-Nakamura, B. P. D. Filho, V. F. Veiga Junior, and C. V. Nakamura, “Copaiba oil: an alternative to development of new drugs against Leishmaniasis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, 7 pages, 2012.
- A. Cáceres, H. Menéndez, E. Méndez et al., “Antigonorrhoeal activity of plants used in Guatemala for the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 85–88, 1995.
- R. Villar, J. M. Calleja, C. Morales, and A. Cáceres, “Screening of 17 Guatemalan medicinal plants for platelet antiaggregant activity,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 441–445, 1997.
- J. A. Shilpi, M. Taufiq-Ur-Rahman, S. J. Uddin, M. S. Alam, S. K. Sadhu, and V. Seidel, “Preliminary pharmacological screening of Bixa orellana L. leaves,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 264–271, 2006.
- F. G. Braga, M. L. M. Bouzada, R. L. Fabri et al., “Antileishmanial and antifungal activity of plants used in traditional medicine in Brazil,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 396–402, 2007.
- I. J. O. Jondiko and G. Pattenden, “Terpenoids and an apocarotenoid from seeds of Bixa orellana,” Phytochemistry, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 3159–3162, 1989.
- A. O. dos Santos, E. A. Britta, E. M. Bianco et al., “4-Acetoxydolastane diterpene from the Brazilian brown alga Canistrocarpus cervicornis as antileishmanial agent,” Marine Drugs, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 2369–2383, 2011.
- M. C. Vendrametto, A. O. D. Santos, C. V. Nakamura, B. P. D. Filho, D. A. G. Cortez, and T. Ueda-Nakamura, “Evaluation of antileishmanial activity of eupomatenoid-5, a compound isolated from leaves of Piper regnellii var. pallescens,” Parasitology International, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 154–158, 2010.
- P. Skehan, R. Storeng, D. Scudiero et al., “New colorimetric cytotoxicity assay for anticancer-drug screening,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 82, no. 13, pp. 1107–1112, 1990.
- K. Conceição, K. Konno, M. Richardson et al., “Isolation and biochemical characterization of peptides presenting antimicrobial activity from the skin of Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis,” Peptides, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3092–3099, 2006.
- K. J. Pelizzaro-Rocha, P. Veiga-Santos, D. Lazarin-Bidóia et al., “Trypanocidal action of eupomatenoid-5 is related to mitochondrion dysfunction and oxidative damage in Trypanosoma cruzi,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 13, no. 12-13, pp. 1018–1024, 2011.
- R. F. S. Menna-Barreto, A. Henriques-Pons, A. V. Pinto, J. A. Morgado-Diaz, M. J. Soares, and S. L. De Castro, “Effect of a β-lapachone-derived naphthoimidazole on Trypanosoma cruzi: identification of target organelles,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1034–1041, 2005.
- L. Piacenza, F. Irigoín, M. N. Alvarez et al., “Mitochondrial superoxide radicals mediate programmed cell death in Trypanosoma cruzi: cytoprotective action of mitochondrial iron superoxide dismutase overexpression,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 403, no. 2, pp. 323–334, 2007.
- R. M. Coates, D. A. Ley, and P. L. Cavender, “Synthesis and carbon-13 nuclear magnetic resonance spectra of all-trans-geranylgeraniol and its nor analogues,” Journal of Organic Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 26, pp. 4915–4922, 1978.
- L. G. Rocha, J. R. G. S. Almeida, R. O. Macêdo, and J. M. Barbosa-Filho, “A review of natural products with antileishmanial activity,” Phytomedicine, vol. 12, no. 6-7, pp. 514–535, 2005.
- G. Singh, K. G. Jayanarayan, and C. S. Dey, “Novobiocin induces apoptosis-like cell death in topoisomerase II over-expressing arsenite resistant Leishmania donovani,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 57–69, 2005.
- R. F. S. Menna-Barreto, G. A. T. Laranja, M. C. C. Silva et al., “Anti-Trypanosoma cruzi activity of Pterodon pubescens seed oil: geranylgeraniol as the major bioactive component,” Parasitology Research, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 2008.
- R. F. S. Menna-Barreto, R. L. S. Goncalves, E. M. Costa et al., “The effects on Trypanosoma cruzi of novel synthetic naphthoquinones are mediated by mitochondrial dysfunction,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 644–653, 2009.
- A. O. dos Santos, M. A. Costa, T. Ueda-Nakamura et al., “Leishmania amazonensis: effects of oral treatment with copaiba oil in mice,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 129, pp. 145–151, 2011.
- E. A. Britta, A. P. B. Silva, T. Ueda-Nakamura et al., “Benzaldehyde thiosemicarbazone derived from limonene complexed with copper induced mitochondrial dysfunction in Leishmania amazonenses,” Public Library of Science One, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- R. Das, A. Roy, N. Dutta, and H. K. Majumder, “Reactive oxygen species and imbalance of calcium homeostasis contributes to curcumin induced programmed cell death in Leishmania donovani,” Apoptosis, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 867–882, 2008.
- A. K. Shukla, S. Patra, and V. K. Dubey, “Iridoid glucosides from Nyctanthes arbortristis result in increased reactive oxygen species and cellular redox homeostasis imbalance in Leishmania parasite,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 54, pp. 49–58, 2012.
- Y. Masuda, M. Nakaya, S. Nakajo, and K. Nakaya, “Geranylgeraniol potently induces caspase-3-like activity during apoptosis in human leukemia U937 cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 234, no. 3, pp. 641–645, 1997.
- N. Sen, B. B. Das, A. Ganguly et al., “Camptothecin induced mitochondrial dysfunction leading to programmed cell death in unicellular hemoflagellate Leishmania donovani,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 924–936, 2004.
- C. Paris, P. M. Loiseau, C. Bories, and J. Bréard, “Miltefosine induces apoptosis-like death in Leishmania donovani promastigotes,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 852–859, 2004.
- P. Mukherjee, S. B. Majee, S. Ghosh, and B. Hazra, “Apoptosis-like death in Leishmania donovani promastigotes induced by diospyrin and its ethanolamine derivative,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 596–601, 2009.
- A. Debrabant, N. Lee, S. Bertholet, R. Duncan, and H. L. Nakhasi, “Programmed cell death in trypanosomatids and other unicellular organisms,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 257–267, 2003.
- Y. Masuda, S. Maeda, A. Watanabe et al., “A novel 21-kDa cytochrome c-releasing factor is generated upon treatment of human leukemia U937 cells with geranylgeraniol,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 346, no. 2, pp. 454–460, 2006.
- K. Miquel, A. Pradines, and G. Favre, “Farnesol and geranylgeraniol induce actin cytoskeleton disorganization and apoptosis in A549 lung adenocarcinoma cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 225, no. 3, pp. 869–876, 1996.