- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 429412, 23 pages
Neural Acupuncture Unit: A New Concept for Interpreting Effects and Mechanisms of Acupuncture
1School of Chinese Medicine, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 10 Sassoon Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
2National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
3Department of Forensic and Neurodevelopmental Science, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London, London, UK
Received 24 September 2011; Revised 30 November 2011; Accepted 1 December 2011
Academic Editor: Toku Takahashi
Copyright © 2012 Zhang-Jin Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [40 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Thomas Lundeberg, Iréne Lund, and Jan Näslund, “The needling sensation: A factor contributing to the specific effects of acupuncture?,” Acupuncture and Related Therapies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 2–4, 2012.
- Kwokming James Cheng, “Neurobiological Mechanisms of Acupuncture for Some Common Illnesses: A Clinician's Perspective,” Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, 2013.
- Y. Huang, J.-Q. Chen, X.-S. Lai, C.-Z. Tang, J.-J. Yang, H. Chen, J.-X. Wu, H.-L. Xiao, S.-S. Qu, Y.-D. Zhang, and Z.-J. Zhang, “Lateralisation of cerebral response to active acupuncture in patients with unilateral ischaemic stroke: an fMRI study,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 290–296, 2013.
- Shan-Shan Qu, Yong Huang, Zhang-Jin Zhang, Jun-Qi Chen, Ren-Yong Lin, Chong-Qi Wang, Gan-Long Li, Hei Kiu Wong, Cang-Huan Zhao, Ji-Yang Pan, Shen-Chang Guo, and Yan-Chi Zhang, “A 6-week randomized controlled trial with 4-week follow-up of acupuncture combined with paroxetine in patients with major depressive disorder,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 726–732, 2013.
- T. Lundeberg, “To be or not to be: the needling sensation (de qi) in acupuncture,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 129–131, 2013.
- Thomas Lundeberg, “Acupuncture mechanisms in tissue healing: contribution of NO and CGRP,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 7–8, 2013.
- Kenichi Kimura, Hayato Takeuchi, Kuniko Yuri, and Ikuro Wakayama, “Effects of nitric oxide synthase inhibition on cutaneous vasodilation in response to acupuncture stimulation in humans,” Acupuncture In Medicine, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 74–80, 2013.
- T. Zhou, J. Wang, C.-X. Han, I. Torao, and Y. Guo, “Analysis of interspike interval of dorsal horn neurons evoked by different needle manipulations at ST36,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2013.
- Bertrand Y. K. Loyeung, and Deirdre M. Cobbin, “Investigating the Effects of Three Needling Parameters (Manipulation, Retention Time, and Insertion Site) on Needling Sensation and Pain Profiles: A Study of Eight Deep Needling Interventions,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–12, 2013.
- Xiaoling Wang, Jiliang Fang, Qing Zhao, Yangyang Fan, Jun Liu, Yang Hong, Honghong Wang, Yunyao Ma, Chunhua Xu, Shan Shi, Jian Kong, and Peijing Rong, “Deqi Sensations of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation on Auricular Points,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–5, 2013.
- Guangjun Wang, Yuying Tian, Shuyong Jia, Wenting Zhou, and Weibo Zhang, “Pilot Study of Acupuncture Point Laterality: Evidence from Heart Rate Variability,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2013.
- Xiaoling Wang, Suk-Tak Chan, Jiliang Fang, Erika E. Nixon, Jing Liu, Kenneth K. Kwong, Bruce R. Rosen, and Kathleen K. S. Hui, “Neural Encoding of Acupuncture Needling Sensations: Evidence from a fMRI Study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–15, 2013.
- Giovanna Franconi, Luigi Manni, Sven Schröder, Paolo Marchetti, and Nicola Robinson, “A Systematic Review of Experimental and Clinical Acupuncture in Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- Jingjing Cui, Lijuan Ha, Xinlong Zhu, Fuchun Wang, Xianghong Jing, and Wanzhu Bai, “Specificity of Sensory and Motor Neurons Associated with BL40 and GB30 in the Rat: A Dual Fluorescent Labeling Study,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–6, 2013.
- Morgana D. da Silva, Franciane Bobinski, Karina L. Sato, Sandra J. Kolker, Kathleen A. Sluka, and Adair R. S. Santos, “IL-10 Cytokine Released from M2 Macrophages Is Crucial for Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory Effects of Acupuncture in a Model of Inflammatory Muscle Pain,” Molecular Neurobiology, 2014.
- Stephen Birch, and Terje Alraek, “Traditional East Asian medicine: How to understand and approach diagnostic findings and patterns in a modern scientific framework?,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 336–340, 2014.
- Li-Wei Chien, Fu-Chun Chen, Hsing-Yi Hu, and Chi-Feng Liu, “Correlation of Electrical Conductance in Meridian and Autonomic Nervous Activity After Auricular Acupressure in Middle-Aged Women,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 140527124841008, 2014.
- Lindsey M. Fry, Susan Neary, Joseph Sharrock, and Jessica K. Rychel, “Acupuncture for Analgesia in Veterinary Medicine,” Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, 2014.
- Raphael J. Hochstrasser, P. Christian Endler, and Sabine D. Klein, “Perception of Therapeutic Qi, a Nonmechanical, Nonpsychological Factor in Acupuncture That Originates from the Therapist,” Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, 2014.
- Stephen Birch, “ Historical and Clinical Perspectives on De Qi : Exposing Limitations in the Scientific Study of De Qi ,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 141125133925003, 2014.
- Heming Zhu, “Acupoints Initiate the Healing Process,” Medical Acupuncture, pp. 141006082639009, 2014.
- Guangjun Wang, Yuying Tian, Shuyong Jia, Wenting Zhou, and Weibo Zhang, “Acupuncture Regulates the Heart Rate Variability,” Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies, 2014.
- Wang Guangjun, Tian Yuying, Jia Shuyong, Zhou Wenting, and Zhang Weibo, “Bilateral Hegu Acupoints Have the Same Effect on the Heart Rate Variability of the Healthy Subjects,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–5, 2014.
- Albino Villegas-Bastida, Rafael Torres-Rosas, Lourdes Andrea Arriaga-Pizano, Javier Flores-Estrada, Altamirano Gustavo-Acosta, and Mario Adan Moreno-Eutimio, “Electrical Stimulation at the ST36 Acupoint Protects against Sepsis Lethality and Reduces Serum TNF Levels through Vagus Nerve- and Catecholamine-Dependent Mechanisms,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- I Lund, and T Lundeberg, “Effects triggered in the periphery by acupuncture,” Acupuncture and Related Therapies, 2015.
- Yoshihiro Noda, Takuji Izuno, Yoshie Tsuchiya, Shunsuke Hayasaka, Kiiko Matsumoto, Hirohiko Murakami, Arata Ito, Yukari Shinse, Aya Suzuki, and Motoaki Nakamura, “Acupuncture-induced changes of vagal function in patients with depression: A preliminary sham-controlled study with press needles,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 193–200, 2015.
- Ka-Fai Chung, Wing-Fai Yeung, Yee-Man Yu, Kam-Ping Yung, Shi-Ping Zhang, Zhang-Jin Zhang, Man-Tak Wong, Wing-King Lee, and Lai-Wah Chan, “Acupuncture for Residual Insomnia Associated With Major Depressive Disorder: A Placebo- and Sham-Controlled, Subject- and Assessor-Blind, Randomized T,” Journal Of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. E752–+, 2015.
- Xiao-Min Wang, Brian Walitt, Leorey Saligan, Agnes FY Tiwari, Chi Wai Cheung, and Zhang-Jin Zhang, “Chemobrain: A critical review and causal hypothesis of link between cytokines and epigenetic reprogramming associated with chemotherapy,” Cytokine, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 86–96, 2015.
- Yuan Guo, Dong-yuan Cao, Zhang-jin Zhang, Fan-rong Yao, Hui-sheng Wang, and Yan Zhao, “Electrical signal propagated across acupoints along Foot Taiyang Bladder Meridian in rats,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2015.
- Roberto González González, Amalia Dávila Hernández, and Jorge Arturo Santana Portillo, “Investigación clínica y básica de acupuntura en depresión en los últimos 5 años,” Revista Internacional de Acupuntura, 2015.
- Meiling Wu, Jingjing Cui, Dongsheng Xu, Kun Zhang, Xianghong Jing, and Wanzhu Bai, “Neuroanatomical characteristics of deep and superficial needling using LI11 as an example,” Acupuncture In Medicine, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 472–477, 2015.
- Jing Tao, Yi Zheng, Weilin Liu, Shanli Yang, Jia Huang, Xiehua Xue, Guanhao Shang, Xian Wang, Ruhui Lin, and Lidian Chen, “Electro-acupuncture at LI 11 and ST 36 acupoints exerts neuroprotective effects via reactive astrocyte proliferation after ischemia and reperfusion injury in rats,” Brain Research Bulletin, 2015.
- Mei-Ling Wu, Dong-Sheng Xu, Wan-Zhu Bai, Jing-Jing Cui, Hong-Ming Shu, Wei He, Xiao-Yu Wang, Hong Shi, Yang-Shuai Su, Ling Hu, Bing Zhu, and Xiang-Hong Jing, “Local cutaneous nerve terminal and mast cell responses to manual acupuncture in acupoint LI4 area of the rats,” Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy, vol. 68, pp. 14–21, 2015.
- Kwan Leung Chia, “Symptomatic Tarlov cyst and electroacupuncture: more studies required,” Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 2015.
- Mei-fei Zhu, Xi Xing, Shu Lei, Jian-nong Wu, Ling-cong Wang, Li-quan Huang, and Rong-lin Jiang, “Electroacupuncture at Bilateral Zusanli Points (ST36) Protects Intestinal Mucosal Immune Barrier in Sepsis,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2015, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- Betul Battaloglu Inanc, “A New Theory on the Evaluation of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture Mechanisms from the Latest Medical Scientific Point of View,” Acupuncture & Electro-Therapeutics Research, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 189–204, 2015.
- Zengjian Wang, Xiaoyun Wang, Jian Liu, Jun Chen, Xian Liu, Guangning Nie, Kristen Jorgenson, Ki Cheul Sohn, Ruiwang Huang, Ming Liu, Bo Liu, and Jian Kong, “Acupuncture treatment modulates the corticostriatal reward circuitry in major depressive disorder,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, 2016.
- Bin Feng, Zhang-Jin Zhang, Rui-Ming Zhu, Guo-Zhen Yuan, Li-Yuan Luo, Grainne M. McAlonan, Fang-Zhong Xu, Jiong Chen, Lan-Ying Liu, Yang-Yang Lv, Hei Kiu Wong, Ying Zhang, and Li-Xia Zhu, “Transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation as an adjunct therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder: A randomized controlled study,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, 2016.
- Vivien Shaw, and Amy K. Mclennan, “Was acupuncture developed by Han Dynasty Chinese anatomists?,” The Anatomical Record, vol. 299, no. 5, pp. 643–659, 2016.
- Kwan Leung Chia, and Rainer Viktor Haberberger, “A study to investigate needle insertion at Shenshu (BL23) to puncture psoas major muscle,” Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 128–133, 2016.