- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 501986, 9 pages
Fifteen Minutes of Chair-Based Yoga Postures or Guided Meditation Performed in the Office Can Elicit a Relaxation Response
1School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, University of Western Sydney, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith, NSW 1797, Australia
2Centre for Complementary Medicine Research, University of Western Sydney, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith, NSW 1797, Australia
3School of Psychology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Received 19 July 2011; Accepted 8 October 2011
Academic Editor: David Mischoulon
Copyright © 2012 Geoffrey W. Melville et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [17 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Stacy D. Hunter, Takashi Tarumi, Mandeep S. Dhindsa, Nantinee Nualnim, and Hirofumi Tanaka, “Hatha yoga and vascular function: Results from cross-sectional and interventional studies,” Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 322–327, 2013.
- Erica M. Jackson, “STRESS RELIEF: The Role of Exercise in Stress Management,” Acsms Health & Fitness Journal, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 14–19, 2013.
- Shaw-Hwa Jou, Chieh-Min Lin, and Jui-Feng Tsai, “Heart Rate or Heart Rate Variability? Evidence from Breath Suspension,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, pp. 130426063552005, 2013.
- Birinder S Cheema, Angelique Houridis, Lisa Busch, Verena Raschke-Cheema, Geoff W Melville, Paul W Marshall, Dennis Chang, Bianca Machliss, Chris Lonsdale, Julia Bowman, and Ben Colagiuri, “Effect of an office worksite-based yoga program on heart rate variability: outcomes of a randomized controlled trial,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 82, 2013.
- Nelson Filice de Barros, Pamela Siegel, Soraia Maria de Moura, Thais Adriana Cavalari, Luis Geraldo da Silva, Maria Renata Furlanetti, and Andrea Vasconcelos Goncalves, “Yoga and the promotion of health,” Ciencia & Saude Coletiva, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1305–1314, 2014.
- Eva Sahlin, Agneta Lindegård, Emina Hadzibajramovic, Patrik Grahn, Josefa Vega Matuszczyk, and Gunnar Ahlborg, “The Influence of the Environment on Directed Attention, Blood Pressure and Heart Rate—An Experimental Study Using a Relaxation Intervention,” Landscape Research, pp. 1–19, 2014.
- Laura Tolbaños Roche, and Blanca Mas Hesse, ““Application of an integrative yoga therapy programme in cases of essential arterial hypertension in public healthcare”,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 2014.
- Seiko Goto, Naveed Kamal, Helene Puzio, Fred Kobylarz, and Karl Herrup, “Differential Responses of Individuals with Late-Stage Dementia to Two Novel Environments: A Multimedia Room and an Interior Garden,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 985–998, 2014.
- Paul Posadzki, Adrian Kuzdzal, Myeong Soo Lee, and Edzard Ernst, “Yoga for Heart Rate Variability: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials,” Applied Psychophysiology And Biofeedback, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 239–249, 2015.
- Liza J. Dion, Deborah J. Engen, Valerie Lemaine, Donna K. Lawson, Charise G. Brock, Barbara S. Thomley, Stephen S. Cha, Amit Sood, Brent A. Bauer, and Dietlind L. Wahner-Roedler, “Massage Therapy Alone and in Combination With Meditation for Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Autologous Tissue Reconstruction: A Randomized Pilot Study,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 2015.
- I-Hua Chu, Yuh-Jen Lin, Wen-Lan Wu, Yu-Kai Chang, and I-Mei Lin, “Effects of Yoga on Heart Rate Variability and Mood in Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2015.
- Madhusudan Das, Singh Deepeshwar, Pailoor Subramanya, and Nandi Krishnamurthy Manjunath, “Influence of Yoga-Based Personality Development Program on Psychomotor Performance and Self-efficacy in School Children,” Frontiers in Pediatrics, vol. 4, 2016.
- Salene M.W. Jones, Katherine A. Guthrie, Susan D. Reed, Carol A. Landis, Barbara Sternfeld, Andrea Z. LaCroix, Andrea Dunn, Robert L. Burr, and Katherine M. Newton, “A yoga & exercise randomized controlled trial for vasomotor symptoms: Effects on heart rate variability,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 26, pp. 66–71, 2016.
- Atikarn Gainey, Thep Himathongkam, Hirofumi Tanaka, and Daroonwan Suksom, “Effects of Buddhist walking meditation on glycemic control and vascular function in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol. 26, pp. 92–97, 2016.
- G.E. Furtado, M. Uba-Chupel, H.M. Carvalho, N.R. Souza, J.P. Ferreira, and A.M. Teixeira, “Effects of a chair-yoga exercises on stress hormone levels, daily life activities, falls and physical fitness in institutionalized older adults,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 2016.
- Marco Warth, Jens Kessler, Thomas K. Hillecke, and Hubert J. Bardenheuer, “Trajectories of Terminally Ill Patients' Cardiovascular Response to Receptive Music Therapy in Palliative Care,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 2016.
- T. Föhr, A. Tolvanen, T. Myllymäki, E. Järvelä-Reijonen, K. Peuhkuri, S. Rantala, M. Kolehmainen, R. Korpela, R. Lappalainen, M. Ermes, S. Puttonen, H. Rusko, and U.M. Kujala, “Physical activity, heart rate variability-based stress and recovery, and subjective stress during a 9-month study period,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 2016.