- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 329731, 9 pages
Comparison of Physical Therapy with Energy Healing for Improving Range of Motion in Subjects with Restricted Shoulder Mobility
1Laboratory for the Advances in Consciousness and Health, Department of Psychology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721-0068, USA
2Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724-5051, USA
Received 20 June 2013; Accepted 2 October 2013
Academic Editor: Kevin Chen
Copyright © 2013 Ann Linda Baldwin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Urwin, D. Symmons, T. Allison et al., “Estimating the burden of musculoskeletal disorders in the community: the comparative prevalence of symptoms at different anatomical sites, and the relation to social deprivation,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 649–655, 1998.
- S. Green, R. Buchbinder, and S. Hetrick, “Physiotherapy interventions for shoulder pain,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD004258, 2003.
- J. P. Iannotti, “Evaluation of the painful shoulder,” Journal of Hand Therapy, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 77–83, 1994.
- P. J. McMahon and R. E. Sallis, “The painful shoulder: zeroing in on the most common causes,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 106, no. 7, pp. 36–38, 41–43, 47–49, 1999.
- E. Naredo, P. Aguado, E. de Miguel et al., “Painful shoulder: comparison of physical examination and ultrasonographic findings,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 132–136, 2002.
- J. H. Stevenson and T. Trojian, “Evaluation of shoulder pain,” Journal of Family Practice, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 605–611, 2002.
- K. M. Johansson, L. E. Adolfsson, and M. O. Foldevi, “Effects of acupuncture versus ultrasound in patients with impingement syndrome: randomized clinical trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 490–501, 2005.
- J. R. Andrews, “Diagnosis and treatment of chronic painful shoulder: review of nonsurgical interventions,” Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 333–347, 2005.
- K. Bennell, S. Coburn, E. Wee et al., “Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of a physiotherapy program for chronic rotator cuff pathology: a protocol for a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article 86, 2007.
- M. A. Campo, S. Weiser, and K. L. Koenig, “Job strain in physical therapists,” Physical Therapy, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 946–956, 2009.
- M. Molumphy, B. Unger, G. Jensen, and R. B. Lopopolo, “Incidence of work-related low back pain in physical therapists,” Physical Therapy, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 482–486, 1985.
- P. M. Barnes, B. Bloom, and R. L. Nahin, Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use among Adults and Children: United States, 2007, National Health Statistics Reports, Hyattville, Md, USA, 2008.
- L. Gill, “More hospitals offer alternative therapies for mind, body, spirit,” USA Today, September 2008, http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-14-alternative-therapies_N.htm.
- American Holistic Nurses Association and American Nurses Association, Holistic Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, Nursesbooks.org, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2007.
- P. Miles and G. True, “Reiki—review of a biofield therapy history, theory, practice, and research,” Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 62–72, 2003.
- S. Jain and P. J. Mills, “Biofield therapies: helpful or full of hype? A best evidence synthesis,” International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2010.
- A. L. Baldwin, A. Vitale, E. Brownell, J. Scicinski, M. Kearns, and W. Rand, “The touchstone process: an ongoing critical evaluation of Reiki in the scientific literature,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 260–276, 2010.
- N. Mackay, S. Hansen, and MA. McFarlane, “Autonomic nervous system changes during Reiki treatment: a preliminary study,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1077–1081, 2004.
- A. Vitale, “An integrative review of Reiki touch therapy research,” Holistic Nursing Practice, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 167–179, 2007.
- R. S. C. Friedman, M. M. Burg, P. Miles, F. Lee, and R. Lampert, “Effects of Reiki on autonomic activity early after acute coronary syndrome,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 995–996, 2010.
- B. Rubik, “The biofield hypothesis: its biophysical basis and role in medicine,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 703–718, 2002.
- A. Kirchner, H. Stefan, K. Bastian, and F. Birklein, “Vagus nerve stimulation suppresses pain but has limited effects on neurogenic inflammation in humans,” European Journal of Pain, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 449–455, 2006.
- C. E. Henley, D. Ivins, M. Mills, F. K. Wen, and B. Benjamin, “Osteopathic manipulative treatment and its relationship to autonomic nervous system activity as demonstrated by heart rate variability: a repeated measures study,” Osteopathic Medicine and Primary Care, vol. 2, article 7, 2008.
- L. Díaz-Rodríguez, M. Arroyo-Morales, C. Fernández-de-las-Peñas, F. García-Lafuente, C. García-Royo, and I. Tomás-Rojas, “Immediate effects of reiki on heart rate variability, cortisol levels, and body temperature in health care professionals with burnout,” Biological Research for Nursing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 376–382, 2011.
- E. Pearl, The Reconnection: Heal Others Heal Yourself, Hay House, Carlsbad, Calif, USA, 1st edition, 2001.
- R. Z. Tashjian, J. Deloach, C. A. Porucznik, and A. P. Powell, “Minimal clinically important differences (MCID) and patient acceptable symptomatic state (PASS) for visual analog scales (VAS) measuring pain in patients treated for rotator cuff disease,” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 927–932, 2009.
- H. Walach and W. B. Jonas, “Placebo research: the evidence base for harnessing self-healing capacities,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 10, supplement 1, pp. S103–S112, 2004.
- O. Surenkok, A. Aytar, and G. Baltaci, “Acute effects of scapular mobilization in shoulder dysfunction: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial,” Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 493–501, 2009.
- P. Teys, L. Bisset, and B. Vicenzino, “The initial effects of a Mulligan's mobilization with movement technique on range of movement and pressure pain threshold in pain-limited shoulders,” Manual Therapy, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 2008.
- H. Vermeulen, P. Rozing, W. Obermann, S. Le Cessie, and T. P. M. V. Vlieland, “Comparison of high-grade and low-grade mobilization techniques in the management of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: randomized controlled trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 355–368, 2006.
- A. Johnson, J. Godges, G. Zimmerman, and L. Ounanian, “The effect of anterior versus posterior glide joint mobilization on external rotation range of motion in patients with shoulder adhesive capsulitis,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 88–99, 2007.
- J. Yang, C. Chang, S. Chen, S.-F. Wang, and J.-J. Lin, “Mobilization techniques in subjects with frozen shoulder syndrome: randomized multiple-treatment trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 1307–1315, 2007.
- D. Conroy and K. Hayes, “The effect of joint mobilization as a component of comprehensive treatment for primary shoulder impingement syndrome,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 1998.
- A. F. Kachingwe, B. Phillips, E. Sletten, and S. W. Plunkett, “Comparison of manual therapy techniques with therapeutic exercise in the treatment of shoulder impingement: a randomized controlled pilot clinical trial,” Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 238–247, 2008.