- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 760804, 8 pages
Beneficial Effects of an 8-Week, Very Low Carbohydrate Diet Intervention on Obese Subjects
1Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People’s Hospital, Shanghai Diabetes Institute, Shanghai Clinical Centre of Diabetes, Shanghai 200233, China
2Shanghai Key Laboratory of Diabetes Mellitus, Shanghai 200233, China
3Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong 226001, Jiangsu Province, China
4Department of Radiology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Affiliated Sixth People’s Hospital, Shanghai 200233, China
5Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong, Jiangsu Province, China
Received 31 December 2012; Revised 18 February 2013; Accepted 18 February 2013
Academic Editor: Wei Jia
Copyright © 2013 Yunjuan Gu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases,” Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation, WHO Technical Report Series no 916, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2003.
- M. E. Frigolet, V. E. R. Barragan, and M. T. Gonzalez, “Low-carbohydrate diets: a matter of love or hate,” Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 320–334, 2011.
- P. F. Svendsen, F. K. Jensen, J. J. Holst, S. B. Haugaard, L. Nilas, and S. Madsbad, “The effect of a very low calorie diet on insulin sensitivity, beta cell function, insulin clearance, incretin hormone secretion, androgen levels and body composition in obese young women,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 410–419, 2012.
- I. Malandrucco, P. Pasqualetti, I. Giordani et al., “Very-low-calorie diet: a quick therapeutic tool to improve beta cell function in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 609–613, 2012.
- A. P. M. Viljanen, R. Lautamäki, M. Järvisalo et al., “Effects of weight loss on visceral and abdominal subcutaneous adipose tissue blood-flow and insulin-mediated glucose uptake in healthy obese subjects,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 152–160, 2009.
- Y. Ahn, S. J. Park, H. K. Kwack, M. K. Kim, K. P. Ko, and S. S. Kim, “Rice-eating pattern and the risk of metabolic syndrome especially waist circumference in Korean genome and epidemiology study (KoGES),” BMC Public Health, vol. 13, no. 1, article 61, 2013.
- E. Völgyi, F. A. Tylavsky, A. Lyytikäinen, H. Suominen, M. Alén, and S. Cheng, “Assessing body composition with DXA and bioimpedance: effects of obesity, physical activity, and age,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 700–705, 2008.
- M. F. Xia, H. M. Yan, H. D. Lin et al., “Elevation of liver enzymes within the normal limits and metabolic syndrome,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 373–379, 2011.
- L. S. Szczepaniak, P. Nurenberg, D. Leonard et al., “Magnetic resonance spectroscopy to measure hepatic triglyceride content: prevalence of hepatic steatosis in the general population,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 2, pp. E462–E468, 2005.
- B. Chowdhury, L. Sjostrom, M. Alpsten, J. Kostanty, H. Kvist, and R. Lofgren, “A multicompartment body composition technique based on computerized tomography,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 219–234, 1994.
- M. R. Hoenig, G. Cowin, R. Buckley, C. McHenery, and A. Coulthard, “Liver fat percent is associated with metabolic risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in a high-risk vascular cohort,” Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 7, article 50, 2010.
- D. R. Matthews, J. P. Hosker, and A. S. Rudenski, “Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man,” Diabetologia, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 412–419, 1985.
- M. Fukushima, A. Taniguchi, M. Sakai et al., “Homeostasis model assessment as a clinical index of insulin resistance: comparison with the minimal model analysis,” Diabetes Care, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1911–1912, 1999.
- M. Matsuda, Y. Liu, S. Mahankali et al., “Altered hypothalamic function in response to glucose ingestion in obese humans,” Diabetes, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 1801–1806, 1999.
- A. Adam-Perrot, P. Clifton, and F. Brouns, “Low-carbohydrate diets: nutritional and physiological aspects,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2006.
- E. L. Lim, K. G. Hollingsworth, B. S. Aribisala, M. J. Chen, J. C. Mathers, and R. Taylor, “Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 2506–2514, 2011.
- G. L. Blackburn, J. C. C. Phillips, and S. Morreale, “Physician's guide to popular low-carbohydrate weight-loss diets,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 68, no. 9, pp. 761–774, 2001.
- J. S. Volek, M. J. Sharman, D. M. Love et al., “Body composition and hormonal responses to a carbohydrate-restricted diet,” Metabolism, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 864–870, 2002.
- J. S. Volek and E. C. Westman, “Very-low-carbohydrate weight-loss diets revisited,” Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 849–858, 2002.
- G. D. Foster, H. R. Wyatt, J. O. Hill et al., “A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 348, no. 21, pp. 2082–2090, 2003.
- I. Shai, D. Schwarzfuchs, Y. Henkin et al., “Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or low-fat diet,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 3, pp. 229–241, 2008.
- L. G. Grunnet, E. Laurila, O. Hansson et al., “The triglyceride content in skeletal muscle is associated with hepatic but not peripheral insulin resistance in elderly twins,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 12, pp. 4571–4577, 2012.
- C. C. Wang, R. L. Adochio, J. W. Leitner, I. M. Abeyta, B. Draznin, and M. A. Cornier, “Acute effects of different diet compositions on skeletal muscle insulin signalling in obese individuals during caloric restriction,” Metabolism, 2012.