- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 894386, 11 pages
Inhibitory Effects of PC-SPESII Herbal Extract on Human Breast Cancer Metastasis
Research Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine Complexity System, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1200 Cailun Road, Pudong, Shanghai 201203, China
Received 13 March 2013; Accepted 28 April 2013
Academic Editor: Yong Qing Yang
Copyright © 2013 Xiu-Feng Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Ferlay, H. R. Shin, F. Bray, et al., “GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10 [Internet],” International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2010, http://globocan.iarc.fr/.
- R. G. Ziegler, W. F. Anderson, and M. H. Gail, “Increasing breast cancer incidence in China: the numbers add up,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 1339–1341, 2008.
- M.-S. Kim, M.-K. You, D.-Y. Rhuy, et al., “Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) extracts suppress the adhesion, migration and invasion,” Nutrition Research and Practice, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 259–264, 2009.
- T. Bogenrieder and M. Herlyn, “Axis of evil: molecular mechanisms of cancer metastasis,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 43, pp. 6524–6536, 2003.
- L. Liu, L. J. Liu, and P. Zhao, “Expressions and clinicopathological significance of matrix metalloproteinase-2,metalloproteinase-9 and E-cadherin in breast cancer tissues,” China Journal of Modern Medicine, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 3149–3151, 2008.
- M. M. Pacheco, I. N. Nishimoto, M. Mourão Neto, E. B. Mantovani, and M. M. Brentani, “Prognostic significance of the combined expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9, urokinase type plasminogen activator and its receptor in breast cancer as measured by Northern blot analysis,” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 62–68, 2001.
- M. Köbel, G. Pohl, W. D. Schmitt, S. Hauptmann, T.-L. Wang, and I.-M. Shih, “Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase is required for migration and invasion of placental site trophoblastic tumor,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 879–885, 2005.
- Y.-H. Zhou, X.-F. He, H. Gao, and Y.-F. Wang, “Mechanisms underlying the role of JNK signaling pathway in the invasion and metastasis of colon cancer cells,” World Chinese Journal of Digestology, vol. 17, no. 21, pp. 2142–2146, 2009.
- J. Z. You, H. B. Wang, Z. W. Yang, et al., “Signal transduction pathways involved in promotion of proliferation and migration via p-ERK in high metastasis potential breast cancer cells,” Chinese Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1007–1012, 2006.
- Y.-C. Han, X.-X. Zeng, R. Wang, Y. Zhao, B.-L. Li, and M. Song, “Correlation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathway to uPA expression in breast cancer,” Chinese journal of cancer, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 48–53, 2007.
- Y. C. Han, L. Y. Liu, D. X. Yang, et al., “Increase of p-p38 and uPA expression in human breast cancer,” Basic & Clinical Medicin, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 170–173, 2009.
- S. Wang, Q. Liu, Y. Zhang et al., “Suppression of growth, migration and invasion of highly-metastatic human breast cancer cells by berbamine and its molecular mechanisms of action,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 8, article 1476, p. 81, 2009.
- M. Shabbir, J. Love, and B. Montgometry, “Phase I trial of PC-Spes2 in advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer,” Oncology Reports, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 831–835, 2008.
- E. J. Small, M. W. Frohlich, R. Bok et al., “Prospective trial of the herbal supplement PC-SPES in patients with progressive prostate cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 21, pp. 3595–3603, 2000.
- A. de la Taille, R. Buttyan, O. Hayek et al., “Herbal therapy PC-SPES: in vitro effects and evaluation of its efficacy in 69 patients with prostate cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 4, pp. 1229–1234, 2000.
- S. Chenn, “In vitro mechanism of PC SPES,” Urology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 28–35, 2001.
- T.-C. Hsieh and J. M. Wu, “Mechanism of action of herbal supplement PC-SPES: elucidation of effects of individual herbs of PC-SPES on proliferation and prostate specific gene expression in androgen-dependent LNCaP cells,” International journal of oncology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 583–588, 2002.
- S. Huerta, J. R. Arteaga, R. W. Irwin, T. Ikezoe, D. Heber, and H. P. Koeffler, “PC-SPES inhibits colon cancer growth in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Research, vol. 62, no. 18, pp. 5204–5209, 2002.
- M. J. Bonham, A. Galkin, B. Montgomery, W. Stahl, D. Agus, and P. S. Nelson, “Effects of the herbal extract PC-SPES on microtubule dynamics and paclitaxel-mediated prostate tumor growth inhibition,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 21, pp. 1641–1671, 2002.
- X. Lu, J. Guo, and T.-C. Hsieh, “PC-SPES inhibits cell proliferation by modulating p21, cyclins D, E and B and multiple cell cycle-related genes in prostate cancer cells,” Cell Cycle, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2003.
- M. Schmidt, C. Polednik, P. Gruensfelder, J. Roller, and R. Hagen, “The effects of PC-Spes on chemosensitive and chemoresistant head and neck cancer cells and primary mucosal keratinocytes,” Oncology Reports, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1297–1305, 2009.
- T. Kubota, J. Hisatake, Y. Hisatake, et al., “PC-SPES: a unique inhibitor of proliferation of prostate cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” Prostate, vol. 42, pp. 163–171, 2000.
- X. Pan, H. Han, L. Wang et al., “Nitidine Chloride inhibits breast cancer cells migration and invasion by suppressing c-Src/FAK associated signaling pathway,” Cancer Letters, vol. 313, no. 2, pp. 181–191, 2011.
- J. S. Rao, C. Gondi, C. Chetty, S. Chittivelu, P. A. Joseph, and S. S. Lakka, “Inhibition of invasion, angiogenesis, tumor growth, and metastasis by adenovirus-mediated transfer of antisense uPAR and MMP-9 in non-small cell lung cancer cells,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 1399–1408, 2005.
- Q.-M. Zhou, H. Zhang, Y.-Y. Lu, X.-F. Wang, and S.-B. Su, “Curcumin reduced the side effects of mitomycin C by inhibiting GRP58-mediated DNA cross-linking in MCF-7 breast cancer xenografts,” Cancer Science, vol. 100, no. 11, pp. 2040–2045, 2009.
- Q.-M. Zhou, X.-F. Wang, X.-J. Liu, H. Zhang, Y.-Y. Lu, and S.-B. Su, “Curcumin enhanced antiproliferative effect of mitomycin C in human breast cancer MCF-7 cells in vitro and in vivo,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1402–1410, 2011.
- M. J. Duffy, P. M. McGowan, and W. M. Gallagher, “Cancer invasion and metastasis: changing views,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 214, no. 3, pp. 283–293, 2008.
- C. E. Brinckerhoff and L. M. Matrisian, “Matrix metalloproteinases: a tail of a frog that became a prince,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 207–214, 2002.
- R. C. S. Figueira, L. R. Gomes, J. S. Neto, F. C. Silva, I. D. C. G. Silva, and M. C. Sogayar, “Correlation between MMPs and their inhibitors in breast cancer tumor tissue specimens and in cell lines with different metastatic potential,” BMC Cancer, vol. 9, article 20, 2009.
- Z.-D. Wang, C. Huang, Z.-F. Li et al., “Chrysanthemum indicum ethanolic extract inhibits invasion of hepatocellular carcinoma via regulation of MMP/TIMP balance as therapeutic target,” Oncology Reports, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 413–421, 2010.
- D. Sliva, M. T. Rizzo, and D. English, “Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and NF-κB regulate motility of invasive MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells by the secretion of urokinase-type plasminogen activator,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 5, pp. 3150–3157, 2002.
- K. Dano, N. Behrendt, N. Brunner, V. Ellis, M. Ploug, and C. Pyke, “The urokinase receptor. Protein structure and role in plasminogen activation and cancer invasion,” Fibrinolysis, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 189–203, 1994.
- Q. Yao, J.-R. Luo, J.-H. Chen et al., “Expression and activation of MAPK pathway signaling molecules in human breast cancer cell lines,” Chinese Journal of Cellular and Molecular Immunology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 328–330, 2004.
- I.-K. Hong, Y.-M. Kim, D.-I. I. Jeoung, K.-C. Kim, and H. Lee, “Tetraspanin CD9 induces MMP-2 expression by activating p38 MAPK, JNK and c-Jun pathways in human melanoma cells,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 230–239, 2005.
- F. J. Esteva, A. A. Sahin, T. L. Smith et al., “Prognostic Significance of Phosphorylated P38 Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase and HER-2 Expression in Lymph Node-Positive Breast Carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 499–506, 2004.
- C.-Y. Ma, W.-T. Ji, F.-S. Chueh et al., “Butein inhibits the migration and invasion of SK-HEP-1 human hepatocarcinoma cells through suppressing the ERK, JNK, p38, and uPA signaling multiple pathways,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 16, pp. 9032–9038, 2011.
- S. Huang, L. New, Z. Pan, J. Han, and G. R. Nemerow, “Urokinase plasminogen activator/urokinase-specific surface receptor expression and matrix invasion by breast cancer cells requires constitutive p38α mitogen-activated protein kinase activity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 16, pp. 12266–12272, 2000.
- G. Sekimoto, K. Matsuzaki, K. Yoshida et al., “Reversible Smad-dependent signaling between tumor suppression and oncogenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 11, pp. 5090–5096, 2007.