- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 253875, 9 pages
Assessment of Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Content, Antioxidant Properties, and Yield of Aeroponically and Conventionally Grown Leafy Vegetables and Fruit Crops: A Comparative Study
1National Center for Natural Products Research, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
2Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
3Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
Received 25 October 2013; Revised 5 February 2014; Accepted 6 February 2014; Published 23 March 2014
Academic Editor: Yoshiji Ohta
Copyright © 2014 Suman Chandra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Barlow, “Toxicological aspects of antioxidants used as food additives,” in Food Antioxidants, B. J. F. Hudson, Ed., pp. 253–307, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1990.
- M. Namiki, “Antioxidants/antimutagens in food,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 273–300, 1990.
- K. Ramalakshmi, I. R. Kubra, and L. J. M. Rao, “Antioxidant potential of low-grade coffee beans,” Food Research International, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 96–103, 2008.
- H. R. Frydoonfar, D. R. McGrath, and A. D. Spigelman, “The variable effect on proliferation of a colon cancer cell line by the citrus fruit flavonoid Naringenin,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 149–152, 2003.
- F. Hakimuddin, G. Paliyath, and K. Meckling, “Selective cytotoxicity of a red grape wine flavonoid fraction against MCF-7 cells,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 65–79, 2004.
- K. J. Joshipura, F. B. Hu, J. E. Manson et al., “The effect of fruit and vegetable intake on risk for coronary heart disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 134, no. 12, pp. 1106–1114, 2001.
- S. S. Khanzode, M. G. Muddeshwar, S. D. Khanzode, and G. N. Dakhale, “Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in different stages of breast cancer,” Free Radical Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2004.
- S. C. Larsson, L. Holmberg, and A. Wolk, “Fruit and vegetable consumption in relation to ovarian cancer incidence: the Swedish mammography cohort,” The British Journal of Cancer, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 2167–2170, 2004.
- Y. Liu, T. Sobue, T. Otani, and S. Tsugane, “Vegetables, fruit consumption and risk of lung cancer among middle-aged Japanese men and women: JPHC study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 349–357, 2004.
- M. L. McCullough, A. S. Robertson, A. Chao et al., “A prospective study of whole grains, fruits, vegetables and colon cancer risk,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 959–970, 2003.
- M. C. Polidori, “Antioxidant micronutrients in the prevention of age-related diseases,” Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2003.
- K. S. Reddy and M. B. Katan, “Diet, nutrition and the prevention of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 167–186, 2004.
- Z. Vokó, M. Hollander, A. Hofman, P. J. Koudstaal, and M. M. B. Breteler, “Dietary antioxidants and the risk of ischemic stroke: the Rotterdam study,” Neurology, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 1273–1275, 2003.
- K. A. Steinmetz and J. D. Potter, “Vegetables, fruit, and cancer prevention: a review,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1027–1039, 1996.
- A. Scalbert and G. Williamson, “Dietary intake and bioavailability of polyphenols,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 8, pp. 2073–2085, 2000.
- W. C. Willett, “Balancing life-style and genomics research for disease prevention,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5568, pp. 695–698, 2002.
- F. Bourgaud, A. Gravot, S. Milesi, and E. Gontier, “Production of plant secondary metabolites: a historical perspective,” Plant Science, vol. 161, no. 5, pp. 839–851, 2001.
- A. Pardossi, F. Malorgio, L. Incrocci, and F. Tognoni, “Hydroponic technologies for greenhouse crops,” in Crops: Quality, Growth and Biotechnology, R. Dris, Ed., pp. 360–378, WFL Publisher, Helsinki, Finland, 2006.
- K. Claudia, M. Rita, and P. Alberto, “Influence of nitrogen nutrition on growth and accumulation of rosmarinic acid in sweet basil (Ocimum besilicum L.) grown in hydroponic culture,” Australian Journal of Crop Science, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 321–327, 2013.
- V. L. Singleton and J. A. Rossi, “Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents,” The American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, vol. 16, pp. 144–158, 1965.
- D. Marinova, F. Ribarova, and M. Atanassova, “Total phenolic and total flavonoids in Bulgarian fruits and vegetables,” Journal of the University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 255–260, 2005.
- C. Chang, M. Yang, H. Wen, and J. Chern, “Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colometric methods,” Journal of Food and Drug Analysis, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 178–182, 2002.
- F. Pourmorad, S. J. Hosseinimehr, and N. Shahabimajd, “Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid contents of some selected Iranian medicinal plants,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 1142–1145, 2006.
- G. Miliauskas, P. R. Venskutonis, and T. A. van Beek, “Screening of radical scavenging activity of some medicinal and aromatic plant extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 231–237, 2004.
- Z. Cheng, J. Moore, and L. Yu, “High-throughput relative DPPH radical scavenging capacity assay,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 20, pp. 7429–7436, 2006.
- K. L. Wolfe and H. L. Rui, “Cellular antioxidant activity (CAA) assay for assessing antioxidants, foods, and dietary supplements,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 55, no. 22, pp. 8896–8907, 2007.
- R-Development-Core-Team, R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing, R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria, 2005.
- B. N. Ames, M. K. Shigenaga, and T. M. Hagen, “Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 90, no. 17, pp. 7915–7922, 1993.
- G. Block, B. Patterson, and A. Subar, “Fruit, vegetables, and cancer prevention: a review of the epidemiological evidence,” Nutrition and Cancer, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–29, 1992.
- J. A. Vinson, J. Jang, Y. A. Dabbagh, M. M. Serry, and S. Cai, “Plant polyphenols exhibit lipoprotein-bound antioxidant activity using an in vitro oxidation model for heart disease,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 2798–2799, 1995.
- G. Paganga, N. Miller, and C. A. Rice-Evans, “The polyphenolic content of fruit and vegetables and their antioxidant activities. What does a serving constitute?” Free Radical Research, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 1999.
- M. P. Kähkönen, A. I. Hopia, H. J. Vuorela et al., “Antioxidant activity of plant extracts containing phenolic compounds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 3954–3962, 1999.
- C. A. Rice-Evans, N. J. Miller, P. G. Bolwell, P. M. Bramley, and J. B. Pridham, “The relative antioxidant activities of plant-derived polyphenolic flavonoids,” Free Radical Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 375–383, 1995.
- N. Sugihara, T. Arakawa, M. Ohnishi, and K. Furuno, “Anti- and pro-oxidative effects of flavonoids on metal-induced lipid hydroperoxide-dependent lipid peroxidation in cultured hepatocytes loaded with α-linolenic acid,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 27, no. 11-12, pp. 1313–1323, 1999.
- C. A. Rice-Evans, N. J. Miller, and G. Paganga, “Structure-antioxidant activity relationships of flavonoids and phenolic acids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 933–956, 1996.
- N. Ramarathnam, H. Ochi, and M. Takeuchi, “Antioxidant defense system in vegetable extracts,” in Natural Antioxidants, Chemistry, Health Effects and Applications, F. Shahidi, Ed., pp. 76–87, AOCS Press, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1997.
- H. Tapiero, K. D. Tew, G. N. Ba, and G. Mathé, “Polyphenols: do they play a role in the prevention of human pathologies?” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 200–207, 2002.
- M. J. Laughton, P. J. Evans, M. A. Moroney, J. R. S. Hoult, and B. Halliwell, “Inhibition of mammalian 5-lipoxygenase and cyclo-oxygenase by flavonoids and phenolic dietary additives. Relationship to antioxidant activity and to iron ion-reducing ability,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1673–1681, 1991.
- P. Cos, L. Ying, M. Calomme et al., “Structure-activity relationship and classification of flavonoids as inhibitors of xanthine oxidase and superoxide scavengers,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 71–76, 1998.
- A. Wojdyło, J. Oszmiański, and R. Czemerys, “Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in 32 selected herbs,” Food Chemistry, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 940–949, 2007.
- M. H. Miller, G. K. Walker, M. Tollenaar, and K. G. Alexander, “Growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.) grown outdoors hydroponically and in soil,” Canadian Journal of Soil Science, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 295–302, 1989.
- C. Sgherri, S. Cecconami, C. Pinzino, F. Navari-Izzo, and R. Izzo, “Levels of antioxidants and nutraceuticals in basil grown in hydroponics and soil,” Food Chemistry, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 416–422, 2010.
- N. Deepa, C. Kaur, B. Singh, and H. C. Kapoor, “Antioxidant activity in some red sweet pepper cultivars,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 19, no. 6-7, pp. 572–578, 2006.
- U. Imeh and S. Khokhar, “Distribution of conjugated and free phenols in fruits: antioxidant activity and cultivar variations,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 22, pp. 6301–6306, 2002.
- B. Ou, D. Huang, M. Hampsch-Woodill, J. A. Flanagan, and E. K. Deemer, “Analysis of antioxidant activities of common vegetables employing oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP) assays: a comparative study,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 3122–3128, 2002.
- S. Rawat, I. D. Bhatt, and R. S. Rawal, “Total phenolic compounds and antioxidant potential of Hedychium spicatum Buch. Ham. ex D. Don in west Himalaya, India,” Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, vol. 24, no. 4-5, pp. 574–579, 2011.
- S. A. Adesegun, A. Fajana, C. I. Orabueze, and H. A. B. Coker, “Evaluation of antioxidant properties of Phaulopsis fascisepala C.B.Cl. (Acanthaceae),” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 227–231, 2009.
- S. R. Husain, J. Cillard, and P. Cillard, “Hydroxyl radical scavenging activity of flavonoids,” Phytochemistry, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2489–2491, 1987.
- I. B. Afanas'ev, A. I. Dorozhko, A. V. Brodskii, V. A. Kostyuk, and A. I. Potapovitch, “Chelating and free radical scavenging mechanisms of inhibitory action of rutin and quercetin in lipid peroxidation,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1763–1769, 1989.
- J. Torel, J. Cillard, and P. Cillard, “Antioxidant activity of flavonoids and reactivity with peroxy radical,” Phytochemistry, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 383–385, 1986.
- Y. Yao, W. Sang, M. Zhou, and G. Ren, “Phenolic composition and antioxidant activities of 11 celery cultivars,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. C9–C13, 2010.