- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 148702, 10 pages
Price Responsiveness of Cigarette Demand in US: Retail Scanner Data (1994–2007)
1Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Mailstop K-50, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
2RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, P.O. Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Received 26 March 2012; Revised 12 June 2012; Accepted 14 June 2012
Academic Editor: Evžen Kočenda
Copyright © 2012 Bishwa B. Adhikari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Reducing Tobacco Use: A Report of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2000.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 2000–2004,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 57, pp. 1226–1228, 2008.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Cigarette smoking among adults and trends in smoking cessation—United States 2008,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, no. 44, pp. 1227–1232, 2009.
- S. H. Busch, M. Jofre-Bonet, T. A. Falba, and J. L. Sindelar, “Burning a hole in the budget: tobacco spending and its crowd-out of other goods,” Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 263–272, 2004.
- C. D. Baker, A. Caplan, K. Davis et al., “Shattuck lecture: health of the nation—coverage for all Americans,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 8, pp. 777–780, 2008.
- M. I. Meltzer, “Health economics and prioritising health care,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9639, pp. 612–613, 2008.
- R. Doll, R. Peto, J. Boreham, and I. Sutherland, “Mortality from cancer in relation to smoking: 50 years observations on British doctors,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 426–429, 2005.
- M. V. Maciosek, N. M. Edwards, A. B. Coffield et al., “Priorities among effective clinical preventive services. Methods,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 90–96, 2006.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs, US Department of Health and Human Services, CDC, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2007.
- F. J. Chaloupka and H. Wechsler, “Price, tobacco control policies and smoking among young adults,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 359–373, 1997.
- P. Zhang, C. Husten, and G. Giovino, “Effect of the tobacco price support program on cigarette consumption in the United States: an updated model,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 746–750, 2000.
- E. Plamper, D.G. Klever, and K. W. Lauterbach, “Effects of tobacco tax increase on cigarette consumption and the impact on health policy,” Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 660–664, 2006.
- M. C. Farrelly, C. T. Nimsch, A. Hyland, and M. Cummings, “The effects of higher cigarette prices on tar and nicotine consumption in a cohort of adult smokers,” Health Economics, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 49–58, 2004.
- M. C. Farrelly, T. F. Pechacek, K. Y. Thomas, and D. Nelson, “The impact of tobacco control programs on adult smoking,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 304–309, 2008.
- D. F. Hendry and J. F. Richard, “The econometric analysis of economic time series,” International Statistical Review, vol. 51, pp. 111–163, 1983.
- T. Clark, “A comparison of the CPI and PCE price index,” Economic Review Q, vol. 3, pp. 15–29, 1999.
- D. Fixler and T. Jaditz, “An Examination of the Difference between the CPI and the PCE Deflator on the Formulation of the Differences between the CPI and PCE Deflator,” Working paper 361, Washington, DC, USA, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2002.
- J. Hausman, “Sources of bias and solutions to bias in the consumer price index,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 23–44, 2003.
- P. C. B. Phillips and H. R. Moon, “Linear regression limit theory for nonstationary panel data,” Econometrica, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 1057–1111, 1999.
- K. S. Im, M. H. Pesaran, and Y. Shin, “Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,” Journal of Econometrics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 53–74, 2003.
- P. Pedroni, “Fully modified OLS for heterogeneous cointegrated panels,” Advances in Econometrics, vol. 15, pp. 93–130, 2000.
- C. Kao and M. H. Chiang, “On the estimation and inference of a cointegrated regression in panel data,” Advances in Econometrics, vol. 15, pp. 179–222, 2000.
- F. J. Chaloupka and K. E. Warner, “The economics of smoking,” in Handbook of Health Economics, A. J. Culyer and J. P. Newhouse, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 1549–1627, Elsevier Science, 2000.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Response to increases in cigarette prices by race/ethnicity, income, and age groups-United States, 1976–1993,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 47, pp. 605–609, 1998.
- R. L. Ohsfeldt, R. G. Boyle, and E. Capilouto, “Effects of tobacco excise taxes on the use of smokeless tobacco products in the USA,” Health Education, vol. 6, pp. 525–531, 1997.
- F. J. Chaloupka, “Rational addictive behavior and cigarette smoking,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 722–742, 1991.
- J. Gruber, Youth smoking in the US prices and policies, 2000, http://papers.nber.org/papers/W5706.
- E. M. Lewit, D. Coate, M. Grossman, and L. Benham, “The effects of government regulation on teenage smoking,” Journal of Law and Economics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 545–573, 1981.
- E. M. Lewit, A. Hyland, N. Kerrebrock, and K. M. Cummings, “Price, public policy, and smoking in young people,” Tobacco Control, vol. 6, supplement 2, pp. S17–24, 1997.
- J. Wasserman, W. G. Manning, J. P. Newhouse, and J. D. Winkler, “The effects of excise taxes and regulations on cigarette smoking,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–64, 1991.
- D. P. Hopkins, P. A. Briss, C. J. Ricard et al., “Reviews of evidence regarding interventions to reduce tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 16–66, 2001.
- T. E. Keeler, T. W. Hu, P. G. Barnett, W. G. Manning, and H. Y. Sung, “Do cigarette producers price-discriminate by state? An empirical analysis of local cigarette pricing and taxation,” Journal of Health Economics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 499–512, 1996.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Community Guide Branch, National Center for Health Marketing NCHM: Decreasing tobacco use in worksite settings: smoke-free policies to reduce tobacco use among workers, 2009, http://www.thecommunityguide.org/tobacco/worksite/smokefreepolicies.html.
- S. Zaza and J. D. Pickett, “The Guide to Community Preventive Services: update on development and dissemination activities,” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 92–94, 2001.
- M. Siegel, A. B. Albers, D. M. Cheng, L. Biener, and N. A. Rigotti, “Effect of local restaurant smoking regulations on progression to established smoking among youths,” Tobacco Control, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 300–306, 2005.
- E. A. Gilpin, M. M. White, A. J. Farkas, and J. P. Pierce, “Home smoking restrictions: which smokers have them and how they are associated with smoking behavior,” Nicotine and Tobacco Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 1999.
- M. Skeer, D. M. Cheng, N. A. Rigotti, and M. Siegel, “Secondhand smoke exposure in the workplace,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 331–337, 2005.
- IARC, Handbook of Cancer Prevention, Tobacco Control, vol. 12, Methods for Evaluating Tobacco Control Policies, 2008.
- H. Völzke, H. Neuhauser, S. Moebus et al., “Urban-rural disparities in smoking behaviour in Germany,” BMC Public Health, vol. 6, article 146, 2006.
- H. Pesaran, “A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,” Cambridge working papers in economics 0346, faculty of economics (DAE), University of Cambridge, 2003.