- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Economics Research International
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 616793, 15 pages
Some New Insights into Trade Potential between the EU and Its Mediterranean Partners
UFR Sciences Économiques et de Gestion, Université du Sud Toulon-Var (LEAD), Avenue de l'Université, BP 20934, 83957 La Garde Cedex, France
Received 22 March 2012; Accepted 3 May 2012
Academic Editor: Almas Heshmati
Copyright © 2012 Nicolas Péridy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Péridy, “Evaluation de l’impact du partenariat euro-méditerranéen 15 ans après Barcelone : quels enseignements ? Quelles actions ?” in Rapport du FEMISE sur le Partenariat Euro-méditerranéen: Le Partenariat Méditerranéen à la croisée des chemins, A. Gallal and J. L. Reiffers, Eds., pp. 3–20, 2010.
- H. L. Kee, A. Nicita, and M. Olarreaga, “Estimating trade restrictiveness indices,” Economic Journal, vol. 119, no. 534, pp. 172–199, 2009.
- World Bank, “Connecting to compete: trade logistics in the global economy,” International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The World Bank, 2011.
- UNCTAD, World Development Indicators, 2009, 2010.
- D. Kaufmann, A. Kraay, and M. Mastruzzi, “The worldwide governance indicators: methodology and analytical issues,” Draft Policy Research Working Paper, The World Bank, 2010.
- N. Péridy, “La nouvelle politique de voisinage de l’Union Européenne: Une estimation des Potentiels de Commerce,” Revue Economique, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 727–746, 2006.
- Y. F. L. Lee and A. Gohar, “Trade and intra-regional integration: is Arab region a potential candidate for economic union?” Journal of Economic Cooperation and Development, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 67–82, 2010.
- H. Boughanmi, “The trade potential of the Arab gulf cooperation Countries (GCC): a gravity model approach,” Journal of Economic Integration, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 42–56, 2008.
- J. Abedini and N. Péridy, “The greater arab free trade area (GAFTA): an estimation of trade effects (with Javad Abedini),” Journal of Economic Integration, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 848–872, 2008.
- J. E. Anderson and E. van Wincoop, “Gravity with gravitas: a solution to the border puzzle,” American Economic Review, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 170–192, 2003.
- J. R. Markusen, “Factor movements and commodity trade as complements,” Journal of International Economics, vol. 14, no. 3-4, pp. 341–356, 1983.
- A. Venables, “Trade liberalization and factor mobility: an overview,” in Migration: The Controversies and the Evidence, R. Faini, J. de Melo, and K. Zimmermann, Eds., Cambridge University Press, CEPR, 1999.
- B. H. Baltagi and P. X. Wu, “Unequally spaced panel dataregressions with AR(1) disturbances,” Econometric Theory, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 814–823, 1999.
- W. Greene, et al., Econometric Analysis, Prentice-Hall International, New York, NY, USA, 6th edition, 2006.
- E. Helpman, P. R. Krugman, et al., Market Structure and Foreign Trade: Increasing Returns, Imperfect Competition and the International Economy, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass, USA, 1985.
- J. R. Markusen and R. M. Wigle, “Explaining the volume of North-South trade,” Economic Journal, vol. 100, no. 403, pp. 1206–1215, 1990.
- S. J. Evenett and W. Keller, “On theories explaning the success of the gravity equation,” Journal of Political Economy, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 281–316, 2002.
- R. C. Feenstra, J. R. Markusen, and A. K. Rose, “Using the gravity equation to differentiate among alternative theories of trade,” Canadian Journal of Economics, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 430–447, 2001.
- R. Baldwin, P. Krugman, et al., “Persistent trade effects of exchange rate shocks,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 635–654, 1989.
- P. Egger, “On the problem of endogenous unobserved effects in the estimation of gravity models,” Journal of Economic Integration, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 182–191, 2004.
- T. Plümper and V. E. Troeger, “Efficient estimation of time-invariant and rarely changing variables in finite sample panel analyses with unit fixed effects,” Political Analysis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 124–139, 2007.
- W. Greene, “Fixed Effects Vector Decomposition: A Magical Solution to the Problem of Time Invariant Variables in Fixed Effects Models,” Mimeo, 2010, http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~wgreene.
- N. Chen, “Intra-national versus international trade in the European Union: why do national borders matter?” Journal of International Economics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 93–118, 2004.
- M. Arellano and S. Bond, Dynamic Panel Data Estimation Using DPD98 for Gauss: A Guide for Users, CEMFI, Madrid, Spain, 1998.
- M. Arellano and O. Bover, “Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,” Journal of Econometrics, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 29–51, 1995.
- P. Egger, “An econometric view on the estimation of gravity models and the calculation of trade potentials,” World Economy, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 297–312, 2002.
- B. Amable, “International specialisation and growth,” Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 413–431, 2000.
- B. Milanovic, “Economic integration and income convergence: not such a strong link?” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 659–670, 2006.
- N. Péridy, “Innovation, growth and convergence in the Euro-Mediterranean area: implications for MENA countries,” Economics Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 2978–2986, 2010.
- J. W. Lee and P. Swagel, “Trade barriers and trade flows across countries and industries,” Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 372–382, 1997.
- J. Hausman and W. Taylor, “Panel data and unobservable individual effects,” Econometrica, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1377–1398, 1981.
- W. Greene, Econometric Modeling Guide, Econometric Software edition, 2004.
- M. Melitz, “The impact of trade on intra-industry reallocation and aggregate industry productivity,” Econometrica, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1695–1725, 2003.
- M. Harris and L. Matyas, “Modelling export flows in the APEC region: static and dynamic gravity model approaches,” Asia Pacific Journal of Economics and Business, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 97–118, 2001.
- C. Y. Co, P. Euzent, and T. Martin, “The export effect of immigration into the USA,” Applied Economics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 573–583, 2004.
- S. Iranzo and G. Peri, “Migration and trade: theory with an application to the Eastern-Western European integration,” Journal of International Economics, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2009.
- A. Brian, P. P. Combes, and M. Lafourcade, “Product complexity, quality of institutions and the pro-trade effect of immigrants,” CEPR Discussion Paper 7192, 2009.