- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 872716, 16 pages
Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics: Gut and Beyond
Kibow Biotech Inc., Newtown Business Center, 4781 West Chester Pike, Newtown Square, PA 19073, USA
Received 16 March 2012; Accepted 20 July 2012
Academic Editor: Maurizio Gabrielli
Copyright © 2012 Usha Vyas and Natarajan Ranganathan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [33 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sunita Grover, Hogarehalli Mallapa Rashmi, Anil Kumar Srivastava, and Virender Kumar Batish, “Probiotics for human health - new innovations and emerging trends,” Gut Pathogens, vol. 4, 2012.
- Ka-Lung Lam, and Peter Chi-Keung Cheung, “Non-digestible long chain beta-glucans as novel prebiotics (Review),” Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre, 2013.
- Fernando F. Anhê, Yves Desjardins, Geneviève Pilon, Stéphanie Dudonné, Maria Inés Genovese, Franco M. Lajolo, and André Marette, “Polyphenols and type 2 diabetes: A prospective review,” PharmaNutrition, 2013.
- Allen L. Lefkovitz, and Barbara J. Zarowitz, “It's a microscopic world after all: Prebiotics, probiotics, and synbiotics,” Geriatric Nursing, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 323–325, 2013.
- Caitriona M. Guinane, and Paul D. Cotter, “Role of the gut microbiota in health and chronic gastrointestinal disease: Understanding a hidden metabolic organ,” Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 295–308, 2013.
- Ola Storro, Ekaterina Avershina, and Knut Rudi, “Diversity of intestinal microbiota in infancy and the risk of allergic disease in childhood,” Current Opinion In Allergy And Clinical Immunology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 257–262, 2013.
- Nicole J. Kellow, Melinda T. Coughlan, Gayle S. Savige, and Christopher M. Reid, “Effect of dietary prebiotic supplementation on advanced glycation, insulin resistance and inflammatory biomarkers in adults with pre-diabetes: a study protocol for a double-blind placebo-controlled randomised crossover clinical trial,” Bmc Endocrine Disorders, vol. 14, 2014.
- M. Tanweer Khan, Jan Maarten van Dijl, and Hermie J. M. Harmsen, “Antioxidants Keep the Potentially Probiotic but Highly Oxygen-Sensitive Human Gut Bacterium Faecalibacterium prausnitzii Alive at Ambient Air,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Seil Sagar, Arjan P. Vos, Mary E. Morgan, Johan Garssen, Niki A. Georgiou, Louis Boon, Aletta D. Kraneveld, and Gert Folkerts, “The combination of Bifidobacterium breve with non-digestible oligosaccharides suppresses airway inflammation in a murine model for chronic asthma,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1842, no. 4, pp. 573–583, 2014.
- Calum J. Walsh, Caitriona M. Guinane, Paul W. O’Toole, and Paul D. Cotter, “Beneficial modulation of the gut microbiota,” FEBS Letters, 2014.
- Jing Geng, Camille Chiron, and Jérôme Combrisson, “Rapid and specific enumeration of viable Bifidobacteria in dairy products based on flow cytometry technology: a proof of concept study,” International Dairy Journal, 2014.
- Elaine Patterson, John F. Cryan, Gerald F. Fitzgerald, R. Paul Ross, Timothy G. Dinan, and Catherine Stanton, “Gut microbiota, the pharmabiotics they produce and host health,” Proceedings of The Nutrition Society, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 477–489, 2014.
- M. Van den Nieuwboer, R.J. Brummer, F. Guarner, L. Morelli, M. Cabana, and E. Claassen, “The administration of probiotics and synbiotics in immune compromised adults: is it safe?,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 1, no. -1, pp. 1–15, 2014.
- M. van den Nieuwboer, E. Claassen, L. Morelli, F. Guarner, and R.J. Brummer, “Probiotic and synbiotic safety in infants under two years of age,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 1, no. -1, pp. 1–16, 2014.
- Ranganathan Natarajan, Bohdan Pechenyak, Usha Vyas, Pari Ranganathan, Alan Weinberg, Peter Liang, Mary C. Mallappallil, Allen J. Norin, Eli A. Friedman, and Subodh J. Saggi, “Randomized Controlled Trial of Strain-Specific Probiotic Formulation (Renadyl) in Dialysis Patients,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–9, 2014.
- L. Brown, H. Poudyal, and S. K. Panchal, “Functional foods as potential therapeutic options for metabolic syndrome,” Obesity Reviews, 2015.
- Shan Liang, Tao Wang, Xu Hu, Jia Luo, Wei Li, Xiaoli Wu, Yunfeng Duan, and Feng Jin, “Administration of Lactobacillus helveticus NS8 improves behavioral, cognitive, and biochemical aberrations caused by chronic restraint stress,” Neuroscience, 2015.
- Hemalatha Rajkumar, Manoj Kumar, Nilita Das, S. Nishanth Kumar, Hanumanth R. Challa, and Ravinder Nagpal, “Effect of Probiotic Lactobacillus salivarius UBL S22 and Prebiotic Fructo-oligosaccharide on Serum Lipids, Inflammatory Markers, Insulin Sensitivity, ,” Journal Of Cardiovascular Pharmacology And Therapeutics, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 289–298, 2015.
- Shafiq Aazmi, Lay Kek Teh, Kalavathy Ramasamy, Thuhairah Rahman, and Mohd Zaki Salleh, “ Comparison of the anti-obesity and hypocholesterolaemic effects of single Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota and probiotic cocktail ,” International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 2015.
- Sylvie Miquel, Martin Beaumont, Rebeca Martin, Philippe Langella, Véronique Braesco, and Muriel Thomas, “A proposed framework for an appropriate evaluation scheme for microorganisms as novel foods with a health claim in Europe,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 14, no. 1, 2015.
- M. van den Nieuwboer, R.J. Brummer, F. Guarner, L. Morelli, M. Cabana, and E. Claassen, “Safety of probiotics and synbiotics in children under 18 years of age,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 1, no. -1, pp. 1–16, 2015.
- M. Malick, K. Gilbert, J. Daniel, J. Arseneault-Breard, T. A. Tompkins, R. Godbout, and G. Rousseau, “Vagotomy prevents the effect of probiotics on caspase activity in a model of postmyocardial infarction depression,” Neurogastroenterology & Motility, 2015.
- Jennifer E. Lambert, Jill A. Parnell, Bertus Eksteen, Maitreyi Raman, Marc R. Bomhof, Kevin P. Rioux, Karen L. Madsen, and Raylene A. Reimer, “Gut microbiota manipulation with prebiotics in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trial protocol,” Bmc Gastroenterology, vol. 15, 2015.
- Yen-Wenn Liu, Wei-Hsien Liu, Chien-Chen Wu, Yi-Chen Juan, Yu-Chen Wu, Huei-Ping Tsai, Sabrina Wang, and Ying-Chieh Tsai, “Psychotropic effects of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 in early life-stressed and naïve adult mice,” Brain Research, 2015.
- L. C. Nwanna, and H. Tope-Jegede, “Effects of Dietary Lactobicillus Plantarum on the Growth, Carcass Quality, and Immune Response of African Catfish Clarias Gariepinus Challenged with Salmonella Typhi,” Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 2016.
- R.X. Lan, J.M. Koo, and I.H. Kim, “Effects of Lactobacillus acidophilus supplementation in different energy and nutrient density diets on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, fecal microbiota shedding, and fecal noxious gas emission in weaning pigs,” Animal Feed Science and Technology, 2016.
- Piu Saha, Beng San Yeoh, Rajbir Singh, Bhargavi Chandrasekar, Praveen Kumar Vemula, Bodduluri Haribabu, Matam Vijay-Kumar, and Venkatakrishna R. Jala, “Gut Microbiota Conversion of Dietary Ellagic Acid into Bioactive Phytoceutical Urolithin A Inhibits Heme Peroxidases,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 6, 2016.
- Ran Li, Yufeng Zhang, D. Brent Polk, Peggy M. Tomasula, Fang Yan, and LinShu Liu, “Preserving viability of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in vitro and in vivo by a new encapsulation system,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2016.
- Preethi G. Anantharaju, Prathima C. Gowda, Manjunatha G. Vimalambike, and SubbaRao V. Madhunapantula, “An overview on the role of dietary phenolics for the treatment of cancers,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 15, no. 1, 2016.
- F. Khan, and S.F. Oloketuyi, “A future perspective on neurodegenerative diseases: nasopharyngeal and gut microbiota,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2016.
- Andjelka Stojkovic, Aleksandra Simovic, Zoran Bogdanovic, Dragic Bankovic, and Mina Poskurica, “Clinical trial / experimental study (consort compliant): Optimal time period to achieve the effects on synbiotic-controlled wheezing and respiratory i,” Srpski Arhiv Za Celokupno Lekarstvo, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 38–45, 2016.
- Hozan Jalil Hamasalim, “Synbiotic as Feed Additives Relating to Animal Health and Performance,” Advances in Microbiology, vol. 06, no. 04, pp. 288–302, 2016.
- Uday C. Ghoshal, Ratnakar Shukla, and Ujjala Ghoshal, “Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Bridge between Functional Organic Dichotomy,” Gut and Liver, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 196–208, 2017.