- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 107534, 7 pages
Expression Profiling of Proliferation and Apoptotic Markers along the Adenoma-Carcinoma Sequence in Familial Adenomatous Polyposis Patients
1Department of Histopathology, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Road, London W12 0HS, UK
2Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
3Department of Surgery, Charing Cross Hospital, London W6 8RF, UK
4Department of Histopathology, St. Mark’s Hospital, London HA1 3UJ, UK
5Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, University of Oxford and NIHR Oxford Biomedical Research Centre, Oxford OX3 7BN, UK
6Centre for Tumour Biology, Barts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary, University of London, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Received 17 December 2012; Accepted 8 January 2013
Academic Editor: Bita Geramizadeh
Copyright © 2013 Jayson Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Bulow, “The risk of developing rectal cancer after colectomy and ileorectal anastomosis in Danish patients with polyposis coli,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 726–729, 1984.
- W. F. Bodmer, C. J. Bailey, and J. Bodmer, “Localization of the gene for familial adenomatous polyposis on chromosome 5,” Nature, vol. 328, no. 6131, pp. 614–616, 1987.
- H. S. Debinski, S. Love, A. D. Spigelman, and R. K. S. Phillips, “Colorectal polyp counts and cancer risk in familial adenomatous polyposis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1028–1030, 1996.
- K. H. Goss and J. Groden, “Biology of the adenomatous polyposis coli tumor suppressor,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1967–1979, 2000.
- Z. Dobbie, P. Y. Muller, K. Heinimann et al., “Expression of COX-2 and Wnt pathway genes in adenomas of familial adenomatous polyposis patients treated with meloxicam,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2215–2220, 2002.
- H. S. Wasan, H.-S. Park, K. C. Liu et al., “APC in the regulation of intestinal crypt fission,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 246–255, 1998.
- M. A. El-Bahrawy, I. C. Talbot, R. Poulsom, R. Jeffery, and M. R. Alison, “The expression of E-cadherin and catenins in colorectal tumours from familial adenomatous polyposis patients,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 198, no. 1, pp. 69–76, 2002.
- M. A. El-Bahrawy, R. Poulsom, R. Jeffery, I. Talbot, and M. R. Alison, “The expression of E-cadherin and catenins in sporadic colorectal Carcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1216–1224, 2001.
- M. Iwamoto, D. J. Ahnen, W. A. Franklin, and T. H. Maltzman, “Expression of β-catenin and full-length APC protein in normal and neoplastic colonic tissues,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1935–1940, 2000.
- S. Shirasawa, K. Urabe, Y. Yanagawa, K. Toshitani, T. Iwama, and T. Sasazuki, “p53 gene mutations in colorectal tumors from patients with familial polyposis coli,” Cancer Research, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 2874–2878, 1991.
- E. Levi, S. J. Stryker, and M. S. Rao, “p53 protein overexpression in colorectal tumors from patients with familial adenomatous polyposis: is it an early or late event?” The American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 1996.
- H. A. Saleh, H. Jackson, and M. Banerjee, “Immunohistochemical expression of bcl-2 and p53 oncoproteins: correlation with Ki67 proliferation index and prognostic histopathologic parameters in colorectal neoplasia,” Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 175–182, 2000.
- F. A. Sinicrope, S. B. Ruan, K. R. Cleary, L. C. Stephens, J. J. Lee, and B. Levin, “bcl-2 and p53 oncoprotein expression during colorectal tumorigenesis,” Cancer Research, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 237–241, 1995.
- X. P. Hao, M. Ilyas, and I. C. Talbot, “Expression of Bcl-2 and p53 in the colorectal adenoma-carcinoma sequence,” Pathobiology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 140–145, 1997.
- J. T. Guan, L. Wang, Y. Wang et al., “Expression of AIF and caspase-3 in colorectal carcinoma, adenoma, and normal mucosa and its correlation,” Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 391–394, 2009.
- L. E. Jonges, J. F. Nagelkerke, N. G. Ensink et al., “Caspase-3 activity as a prognostic factor in colorectal carcinoma,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 681–688, 2001.
- Y. Koga, T. Yao, M. Hirahashi et al., “Flat adenoma-carcinoma sequence with high-malignancy potential as demonstrated by CD10 and β-catenin expression: a different pathway from the polypoid adenoma-carcinoma sequence,” Histopathology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 569–577, 2008.
- K. Hirano, S. Nimura, M. Mizoguchi, Y. Hamada, Y. Yamashita, and H. Iwasaki, “Early colorectal carcinomas: CD10 expression, mucin phenotype and submucosal invasion,” Pathology International, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 600–611, 2012.
- T. Iwase, R. Kushima, K. I. Mukaisho, S. Mitsufuji, T. Okanoue, and T. Hattori, “Overexpression of CD10 and reduced MUC2 expression correlate with the development and progression of colorectal neoplasms,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 83–91, 2005.
- P. Del Rio, P. Crafa, C. Papadia, et al., “Is CD10 a reliable marker of invasive colorectal cancer?” Annali Italiani Di Chirurgia, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 279–282, 2011.
- Y. Fujimoto, Y. Nakanishi, S. Sekine et al., “CD10 expression in colorectal carcinoma correlates with liver metastasis,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1883–1889, 2005.
- T. Zhang, L. B. Nanney, C. Luongo et al., “Concurrent overexpression of cyclin D1 and cyclin-dependent kinase 4 (Cdk4) in intestinal adenomas from multiple intestinal neoplasia (min) mice and human familial adenomatous polyposis patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 169–175, 1997.
- J. M. Bhatavdekar, D. D. Patel, P. R. Chikhlikar et al., “Molecular markers are predictors of recurrence and survival in patients with Dukes B and Dukes C colorectal adenocarcinoma,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 523–533, 2001.
- J. Zeilstra, S. P. Joosten, F. M. Wensveen et al., “WNT signaling controls expression of pro-apoptotic BOK and BAX in intestinal cancer,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 406, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- A. Lapham, J. E. Adams, A. Paterson, M. Lee, M. Brimmell, and G. Packham, “The Bcl-w promoter is activated by β-catenin/TCF4 in human colorectal carcinoma cells,” Gene, vol. 432, no. 1-2, pp. 112–117, 2009.
- Q. Li, W. M. Dashwood, X. Zhong, H. Nakagama, and R. H. Dashwood, “Bcl-2 overexpression in PhIP-induced colon tumors: cloning of the rat Bcl-2 promoter and characterization of a pathway involving β-catenin, c-Myc and E2F1,” Oncogene, vol. 26, no. 42, pp. 6194–6202, 2007.
- L. Kaklamanis, A. Savage, R. Whitehouse et al., “Bcl-2 protein expression: association with p53 and prognosis in colorectal cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1864–1869, 1998.
- U. Manne, R. B. Myers, C. Moron et al., “Prognostic significance of Bcl-2 expression and p53 nuclear accumulation in colorectal adenocarcinoma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 346–358, 1997.
- M. Ilyas, X. P. Hao, K. Wilkinson et al., “Loss of Bcl-2 expression correlates with tumour recurrence in colorectal cancer,” Gut, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 383–387, 1998.