- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Gastroenterology Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924769, 8 pages
Effect of Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate on Helicobacter pylori-Induced Apoptosis in AGS Cells
1Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
2Department of Pediatrics, E-Da Hospital, Kaohsiung City 824, Taiwan
3School of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
4Department of Medical Imaging, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
5Department of Nutritional Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
6Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
7Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
8Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao-Kang Hospital, Kaohsiung City 812, Taiwan
9Cancer Center, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
10Graduate Institute of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung City 807, Taiwan
11Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, E-Da Hospital, Kaohsiung 824, Taiwan
12School of Medicine, College of Medicine, I-Shou University, Kaohsiung City 840, Taiwan
Received 19 July 2013; Accepted 31 October 2013
Academic Editor: Lin-Li Chang
Copyright © 2013 Chuang-Hao Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Sathyanarayana, “Phthalates and Children's Health,” Current Problems in Pediatric and Adolescent Health Care, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 34–49, 2008.
- R. Kavlock, K. Boekelheide, R. Chapin, et al., “NTP center for the evaluation of risks to human reproduction: phthalates expert panel report on the reproductive and developmental toxicity of di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 529–653, 2002.
- J. J. Adibi, F. P. Perera, W. Jedrychowski et al., “Prenatal exposures to Phthalates among women in New York and Krakow, Poland,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 111, no. 14, pp. 1719–1722, 2003.
- T. Schettler, “Human exposure to phthalates via consumer products,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 134–139, 2006.
- G. Latini, C. de Felice, G. Presta et al., “In utero exposure to di-(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate and duration of human pregnancy,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 111, no. 14, pp. 1783–1785, 2003.
- R. M. Whyatt, J. J. Adibi, A. M. Calafat et al., “Prenatal di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate exposure and length of gestation among an inner-city cohort,” Pediatrics, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. e1213–e1220, 2009.
- Y. Suzuki, M. Niwa, J. Yoshinaga, Y. Mizumoto, S. Serizawa, and H. Shiraishi, “Prenatal exposure to phthalate esters and PAHs and birth outcomes,” Environment International, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 699–704, 2010.
- J. G. Kusters, A. H. M. van Vliet, and E. J. Kuipers, “Pathogenesis of Helicobacter pylori infection,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 449–490, 2006.
- S. M. Kelly, M. C. L. Pitcher, S. M. Farmery, and G. R. Gibson, “Isolation of Helicobacter pylori from feces of patients with dyspepsia in the United Kingdom,” Gastroenterology, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 1671–1674, 1994.
- S. F. Moss, J. Calam, B. Agarwal, S. Wang, and P. R. Holt, “Induction of gastric epithelial apoptosis by Helicobacter pylori,” Gut, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 498–501, 1996.
- F. Kacar, I. Meteoǧlu, H. Yasa, and E. Levi, “Helicobacter pylori-induced changes in the gastric mucosa are associated with mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) activation,” Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 224–228, 2007.
- G. Chen, E. M. Sordillo, W. G. Ramey et al., “Apoptosis in gastric epithelial cells is induced by Helicobacter pylori and accompanied by increased expression of BAK,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 239, no. 2, pp. 626–632, 1997.
- S. H. Chu, J. W. Lim, K. H. Kim, and H. Kim, “NF-κB and Bcl-2 in Helicobacter pylori—induced apoptosis in gastric epithelial cells,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1010, pp. 568–572, 2003.
- I. J. Choi, J. S. Kim, J. M. Kim, H. C. Jung, and I. S. Song, “Effect of inhibition of extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 and 2 pathway on apoptosis and bcl-2 expression in Helicobacter pylori-infected AGS cells,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 830–837, 2003.
- M.-L. Chen, J.-S. Chen, C.-L. Tang, and I.-F. Mao, “The internal exposure of Taiwanese to phthalate—an evidence of intensive use of plastic materials,” Environment International, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 2008.
- P.-C. Huang, P.-L. Kuo, Y.-L. Guo, P.-C. Liao, and C.-C. Lee, “Associations between urinary phthalate monoesters and thyroid hormones in pregnant women,” Human Reproduction, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 2715–2722, 2007.
- J.-T. Lin, J.-T. Wang, T.-H. Wang, M.-S. Wu, T.-K. Lee, and C.-J. Chen, “Helicobacter pylori infection in a randomly selected population, healthy volunteers, and patients with gastric ulcer and gastric adenocarcinoma. A seroprevalence study in Taiwan,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1067–1072, 1993.
- L. J. Murray, E. E. McCrum, A. E. Evans, and K. B. Bamford, “Epidemiology of Helicobacter pylori infection among 4742 randomly selected subjects from Northern Ireland,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 880–887, 1997.
- S. Wagner, W. Beil, J. Westermann et al., “Regulation of gastric epithelial cell growth by Helicobacter pylori: evidence for a major role of apoptosis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 113, no. 6, pp. 1836–1847, 1997.
- B. J. Marshall and J. R. Warren, “Unidentified curved bacilli in the stomach of patients with gastritis and peptic ulceration,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8390, pp. 1311–1315, 1984.
- “NIH Consensus Conference. Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer disease. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Helicobacter pylori in Peptic Ulcer Disease,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1994.
- M. Sharman, W. A. Read, L. Castle, and J. Gilbert, “Levels of di-(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate and total phthalate esters in milk, cream, butter and cheese,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 375–385, 1994.
- J. H. Petersent and T. Breindahl, “Plasticizers in total diet samples, baby food and infant formulae,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 133–141, 2000.
- T. Cirillo, E. Fasano, E. Castaldi, P. Montuori, and R. Amodio Cocchieri, “Children's exposure to Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate and dibutylphthalate plasticizers from school meals,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 19, pp. 10532–10538, 2011.
- C. J. Hines, N. B. N. Hopf, J. A. Deddens, M. J. Silva, and A. M. Calafat, “Estimated daily intake of phthalates in occupationally exposed groups,” Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 133–141, 2011.
- M. Wittassek and J. Angerer, “Phthalates: metabolism and exposure,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 2008.
- CPCS. U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.Toxicity Reviews of Di-(2-Ethylhexyl) Phthalate (DEHP), vol. 51, 2010.
- N. C. T. van Grieken, G. A. Meijer, A. Zur Hausen, S. G. M. Meuwissen, J. P. A. Baak, and E. J. Kuipers, “Increased apoptosis in gastric mucosa adjacent to intestinal metaplasia,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 358–362, 2003.
- H. H.-X. Xia and N. J. Talley, “Apoptosis in gastric epithelium induced by Helicobacter pylori infection: implications in gastric carcinogenesis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2001.
- S. Tiwari, U. Ghoshal, U. C. Ghoshal et al., “Helicobacter pylori-induced apoptosis in pathogenesis of gastric carcinoma,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 193–196, 2005.
- T. Guo, J.-M. Qian, J.-Z. Zhang, X.-B. Li, and Y.-Q. Zhao, “Effects of Helicobacter pylori and Helicobacter pylori-related cytokines on apoptosis of gastric epithelial cells and mechanisms thereof,” National Medical Journal of China, vol. 86, no. 38, pp. 2670–2673, 2006.
- Z.-F. Liu, C.-Y. Chen, W. Tang, J.-Y. Zhang, Y.-Q. Gong, and J.-H. Jia, “Gene-expression profiles in gastric epithelial cells stimulated with spiral and coccoid Helicobacter pylori,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 1009–1015, 2006.
- K.-M. Kim, S.-G. Lee, J.-M. Kim et al., “Helicobacter pylori γ-glutamyltranspeptidase induces cell cycle arrest at the G1-S phase transition,” The Journal of Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 372–377, 2010.
- G. K. Anagnostopoulos, D. Stefanou, E. Arkoumani et al., “Bax and Bcl-2 protein expression in gastric precancerous lesions: immunohistochemical study,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1674–1678, 2005.
- F. Bir, N. Calli-Demirkan, A. C. Tufan, M. Akbulut, and N. L. Satiroglu-Tufan, “Apoptotic cell death and its relationship to gastric carcinogenesis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 23, pp. 3183–3188, 2007.
- H.-F. Liu, W.-W. Liu, G.-A. Wang, and X.-C. Teng, “Effect of Helicobacter pylori infection on Bax protein expression in patients with gastric precancerous lesions,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 37, pp. 5899–5901, 2005.
- M. Gryko, A. Pryczynicz, K. Guzinska-Ustymowicz, et al., “Immunohistochemical assessment of apoptosis-associated proteins: p53, Bcl-xL, Bax and Bak in gastric cancer cells in correlation with clinical and pathomorphological factors,” Advances in Medical Sciences, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 77–83, 2012.
- R. C. Budd, W.-C. Yeh, and J. Tschopp, “cFLIP regulation of lymphocyte activation and development,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 196–204, 2006.
- R. J. Youle and A. Strasser, “The BCL-2 protein family: opposing activities that mediate cell death,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 47–59, 2008.
- J. Rudi, D. Kuck, S. Strand et al., “Involvement of the CD95 (APO-1/Fas) receptor and ligand system in Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric epithelial apoptosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 1506–1514, 1998.
- S. Maeda, H. Yoshida, Y. Mitsuno et al., “Analysis of apoptotic and antiapoptotic signalling pathways induced by Helicobacter pylori,” Gut, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 771–778, 2002.
- M. Mukai, T. Kusama, Y. Hamanaka et al., “Cross talk between apoptosis and invasion signaling in cancer cells through caspase-3 activation,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 20, pp. 9121–9125, 2005.
- N. Isobe, H. Onodera, A. Mori et al., “Caspase-3 expression in human gastric carcinoma and its clinical significance,” Oncology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 201–209, 2004.
- H.-C. Zheng, J.-M. Sun, Z.-L. Wei, X.-F. Yang, Y.-C. Zhang, and Y. Xin, “Expression of Fas ligand and Caspase-3 contributes to formation of immune escape in gastric cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 1415–1420, 2003.
- S. Koyama, “Differential expression of intracellular apoptotic signaling molecules in tumor and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes during development of invasion and/or metastasis of gastric carcinoma,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 2290–2300, 2003.