- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 5293034, 7 pages
Development of a Novel Test for Simultaneous Bacterial Identification and Antibiotic Susceptibility
1The Woman’s Hospital of Texas, 7400 Fannin Suite 930, Houston, TX 77054, USA
2The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Medical College, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Received 13 May 2016; Accepted 10 August 2016
Academic Editor: Bryan Larsen
Copyright © 2016 Jonathan Faro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. F. Vincent, W. E. Gibbons, and H. A. Gaafar, “Selective medium for the isolation of streptococci from clinical specimens,” Applied Microbiology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 942–943, 1971.
- S. S. Altaie and D. Dryja, “Detection of group B Streptococcus comparison of solid and liquid culture media with and without selective antibiotics,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 141–144, 1994.
- T. Block, E. Munson, A. Culver, K. Vaughan, and J. E. Hryciuk, “Comparison of carrot broth- and selective Todd-Hewitt broth-enhanced PCR protocols for real-time detection of Streptococcus agalactiae in prenatal vaginal/anorectal specimens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 3615–3620, 2008.
- W. P. Dela Cruz, J. Y. Richardson, J. M. Broestler, J. A. Thornton, and P. J. Danaher, “Rapid determination of macrolide and lincosamide resistance in group B streptococcus isolated from vaginal-rectal swabs,” Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2007, Article ID 46581, 6 pages, 2007.
- J. R. Verani, L. McGee, and S. J. Schrag, “Prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease, revised guidelines from CDC,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 1–36, 2010.
- J. Daniels, J. Gray, H. Pattison, et al., “Rapid testing for group B streptococcus during labour: a test accuracy study with evaluation of acceptability and cost-effectiveness,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 13, no. 42, pp. 1–154, 2009.
- A. M. Caliendo, D. N. Gilbert, C. C. Ginocchio et al., “Better tests, better care: improved diagnostics for infectious diseases,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 57, supplement 3, pp. S139–S170, 2013.
- Y. W. Chu, C. Tse, G. K.-L. Tsang, D. K.-S. So, J. T.-L. Fung, and J. Y.-C. Lo, “Invasive group B Streptococcus isolates showing reduced susceptibility to penicillin in Hong Kong,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1407–1409, 2007.
- S. Dahesh, M. E. Hensler, N. M. Van Sorge et al., “Point mutation in the group B streptococcal pbp2x gene conferring decreased susceptibility to β-lactam antibiotics,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2915–2918, 2008.
- K. A. Simonsen, A. L. Anderson-Berry, S. F. Delair, and H. D. Davies, “Early-onset neonatal sepsis,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 21–47, 2014.
- C. D. Salgado, “The risk of developing a vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus bloodstream infection for colonized patients,” American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. S175.e5–S175.e8, 2008.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC),” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1–13, 1995.
- M. Unemo, D. Golparian, M. Potočnik, and S. Jeverica, “Treatment failure of pharyngeal gonorrhoea with internationally recommended first-line ceftriaxone verified in Slovenia, September 2011,” Eurosurveillance, vol. 17, no. 25, pp. 1–4, 2012.
- J. Faro, A. Katz, K. Bishop, G. Riddle, and S. Faro, “Rapid diagnostic test for identifying group B Streptococcus,” American Journal of Perinatology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 811–814, 2011.
- CLSI, “Performance standards for antimicrobial susceptibility testing; twenty-second informational supplement,” CLSI Document M100-S22, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2012.
- L. Ventola, “The antibiotic resistance crisis,” Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2015.
- M. Ohnishi, T. Saika, S. Hoshina et al., “Ceftriaxone- resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Japan,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 148–149, 2011.
- S. J. Dancer, “The problem with cephalosporins,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 463–478, 2001.
- M. Unemo and W. M. Shafer, “Antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae in the 21st Century: past, evolution, and future,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 587–613, 2014.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines,” MMWR Recommendations and Reports, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 1–137, 2015.
- J. Faro, K. Bishop, G. Riddle, et al., “Accuracy of an accelerated, culture-based assay for detection of group B Streptococcus,” Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 2013, Article ID 367935, 4 pages, 2013.
- S. A. Miller, E. Deak, and R. Humphries, “Comparison of the AmpliVue, BD max system, and illumigene molecular assays for detection of group B Streptococcus in antenatal screening specimens,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1938–1941, 2015.
- L. Chui, T. Chiu, J. Kakulphimp, and G. J. Tyrrell, “A comparison of three real-time PCR assays for the confirmation of Neisseria gonorrhoeae following detection of N. gonorrhoeae using Roche COBAS AMPLICOR,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 473–479, 2008.
- C. M. Sedgley, A. C. Nagel, C. E. Shelburne, D. B. Clewell, O. Appelbe, and A. Molander, “Quantitative real-time PCR detection of oral Enterococcus faecalis in humans,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 575–583, 2005.