- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Agronomy
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 935463, 7 pages
Corn-Soybean Rotation Systems in the Mississippi Delta: Implications on Mycotoxin Contamination and Soil Populations of Aspergillus flavus
1Biological Control of Pests Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Stoneville, MS 38776, USA
2Crop Genetics Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Stoneville, MS 38776, USA
3Crop Production Systems Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Stoneville, MS 38776, USA
Received 23 December 2011; Revised 29 February 2012; Accepted 19 June 2012
Academic Editor: Kent Burkey
Copyright © 2012 Hamed K. Abbas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Erickson, “Corn/soybean rotation literature summary,” 2008, http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/pdf/Crop_Rotation_Lit_Review.pdf.
- H. P. van Egmond, R. C. Schothorst, and M. A. Jonker, “Regulations relating to mycotoxins in food : perspectives in a global and European context,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 389, no. 1, pp. 147–157, 2007.
- J. Robens and K. Cardwell, “The costs of mycotoxin management to the USA: management of aflatoxins in the United States,” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 22, no. 2-3, pp. 139–152, 2003.
- K. F. Cardwell, J. G. Kling, B. Maziya-Dixon, and N. A. Bosque-Pérez, “Interactions between Fusarium verticillioides, Aspergillus flavus, and insect infestation in four maize genotypes in lowland Africa,” Phytopathology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 276–284, 2000.
- N. Zummo and G. E. Scott, “Interaction of Fusarium moniliforme and Aspergillus flavus on kernel infection and aflatoxin contamination in maize ears,” Plant Disease, vol. 76, pp. 771–773, 1992.
- H. K. Abbas, W. P. Williams, G. L. Windham, H. C. Pringle Jr., W. Xie, and W. T. Shier, “Aflatoxin and fumonisin contamination of commercial corn (Zea mays) hybrids in Mississippi,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 18, pp. 5246–5254, 2002.
- H. K. Abbas, W. T. Shier, and R. D. Cartwright, “Effet of temperature, rainfall and planting date on aflatoxin and fumonisin contamination in commercial Bt and non-Bt corn hybrids in Arkansas,” Phytoprotection, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 41–50, 2007.
- J. P. Rheeder, W. F. O. Marasas, and H. F. Vismer, “Production of fumonisin analogs by Fusarium species,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 2101–2105, 2002.
- CAST (Council for Agriculture Science and Technology), “Mycotoxins risks in plant, animal, and human systems,” IA Task Force Report 139, CAST, Ames, 2003.
- T. S. Dowling, “Fumonisin and its toxic effects,” Cereal Foods World, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 13–15, 1997.
- NTP (National Toxicology Program), “Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies on fumonisin B1 in F344/N rats and B6CF1 mice (feed studies),” Tech. Rep. 496, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, 1999, NIH Publication No. 99-3955.
- H. A. Bruns and H. K. Abbas, “Effects of harvest date on maize in the humid sub-tropical mid-south USA,” Maydica, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- H. A. Bruns and H. K. Abbas, “Ultra-high plant populations and nitrogen fertility effects on corn in the Mississippi Valley,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1136–1140, 2005.
- H. A. Bruns and H. K. Abbas, “Planting date effects on Bt and non-Bt corn in the Mid-South USA,” Agronomy Journal, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 100–106, 2006.
- W. J. Chamberlain, C. W. Bacon, W. P. Norred, and K. A. Voss, “Levels of fumonisin B1 in corn naturally contaminated with aflatoxins,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 995–998, 1993.
- J. W. Park, E. K. Kim, D. H. Shon, and Y. B. Kim, “Natural co-occurrence of aflatoxin B1, fumonisin B1 and ochratoxin A in barley and corn foods from Korea,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1073–1080, 2002.
- O. L. Shotwell, E. E. Vandegraft, and C. W. Hesseltine, “Aflatoxin formation on sixteen soybean varieties,” Journal of Association of Official Analytical Chemists International, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 574–577, 1978.
- S. W. Ritchie, J. J. Hanway, and G. O. Benson, How a Corn Plant Develops, Special Report, no. 48, Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Cooperative Extension Service, Ames, Iowa, USA, 1996.
- R. M. Zablotowicz, H. K. Abbas, and M. A. Locke, “Population ecology of Aspergillus flavus associated with Mississippi Delta soils,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1102–1108, 2007.
- H. K. Abbas, R. M. Zablotowicz, M. A. Weaver, B. W. Horn, W. Xie, and W. T. Shier, “Comparison of cultural and analytical methods for determination of aflatoxin production by Mississippi Delta Aspergillus isolates,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 193–199, 2004.
- H. K. Abbas, R. M. Zablotowicz, and M. A. Locke, “Spatial variability of Aspergillus flavus soil populations under different crops and corn grain colonization and aflatoxins,” Canadian Journal of Botany, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1768–1775, 2004.
- SAS, SAS, (r) Proprietary Software Release 9. 1, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA, 2003.
- M. A. Klich, Identication of Common Aspergillus Species, Centralbureau voor Schimmelculyures, Ultrecht, The Netherlands, 2002.
- R. Jaime-Garcia and P. J. Cotty, “Crop rotation and soil temperature influence the community structure of Aspergillus flavus in soil,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1842–1847, 2010.
- H. K. Abbas and U. Bosch, “Evaluation of trichothecene and nontrichothecene mycotoxins produced by Fusarium in soybeans,” Mycotoxin Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 1990.
- G. A. Bean, J. A. Schillinger, and W. L. Klarman, “Occurrence of aflatoxins and aflatoxin-producing strains of Aspergillus spp. in soybeans,” Applied Microbiology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 437–439, 1972.
- H. K. Abbas and W. T. Shier, “Mycotoxin contamination of agricultural products in the Southern United States and approaches to reducing it from pre-harvest to final food products,” in Mycotoxin Prevention and Control in Agriculture, M. Appll, D. Kendra, and M. W. Trucksess, Eds., vol. 1031 of American Chemical Society Symposium Series, pp. 37–58, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2009.
- H. A. Bruns and H. K. Abbas, “Aflatoxin contamination in corn differs among inoculation techniques,” Plant Health Progress. In press.
- N. Bellaloui, J. R. Smith, A. M. Gillen, and J. D. Ray, “Effects of maturity, genotypic background, and temperature on seed mineral composition in near-Isogenic soybean lines in the early soybean production system,” Crop Science, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 1161–1171, 2011.
- K. N. Reddy, N. Bellaloui, and R. M. Zablotowicz, “Glyphosate effect on shikimate, nitrate reductase activity, yield, and seed composition in corn,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 3646–3650, 2010.
- G. A. Payne and M. P. Brown, “Genetics and physiology of aflatoxin biosynthesis,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 36, pp. 329–362, 1998.
- T. E. Cleveland, C. H. Carter-Wientjes, A. J. De Lucca, and S. M. Boué, “Effect of soybean volatile compounds on Aspergillus flavus growth and aflatoxin production,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. H83–H87, 2009.
- G. Castellá, M. R. Bragulat, and F. J. Cabañes, “Surveillance of fumonisins in maize-based feeds and cereals from Spain,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 4707–4710, 1999.
- A. Acuña, M. C. Lozano, M. C. De García, and G. J. Diaz, “Prevalence of Fusarium species of the Liseola section on selected Colombian animal feedstuffs and their ability to produce fumonisins,” Mycopathologia, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 63–66, 2005.
- G. L. Hartman, J. B. Sinclair, and J. C. Rupe, “Compendium of soybean diseases,” in The American Phytopathological Society, pp. 1–100, APS Press, 4th edition, 1999.