- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 690356, 10 pages
An Optimized Adsorbent Sampling Combined to Thermal Desorption GC-MS Method for Trimethylsilanol in Industrial Environments
1Headquarters of GemVax & KAEL Co., Ltd., 894 Tamnip-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-510, Republic of Korea
2R&D Institute of GemVax & KAEL Co., Ltd., 894 Tamnip-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-510, Republic of Korea
3School of Public Health, University of Memphis, 337 Robison Hall, Memphis, TN 38152, USA
4Center for Gas Analysis, Division of Metrology for Quality of Life, Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science, 1 Doryong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-340, Republic of Korea
Received 26 April 2012; Revised 23 June 2012; Accepted 30 June 2012
Academic Editor: D. Tsikas
Copyright © 2012 Jae Hwan Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Ohannessian, V. Desjardin, V. Chatain, and P. Germain, “Volatile organic silicon compounds: the most undesirable contaminants in biogases,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 1775–1781, 2008.
- Royal Society of Chemistry, “ChemSpider—The Free Chemical Database,” http://www.chemspider.com/.
- The Silicones Environmental Health and Safety Council of North America (SEHSC), “Silicone Uses,” http://www.sehsc.com/.
- Y. Lu, T. Yuan, S. H. Yun, W. Wang, Q. Wu, and K. Kannan, “Occurrence of cyclic and linear siloxanes in indoor dust from China, and implications for human exposures,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 16, pp. 6081–6087, 2010.
- National Research Council of The National Acadmies, Spacecraft Maximum Allowable Concentrations for Selected Airborne Contaminants, vol. 5, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- European Virtual Institute for Speciation Analysis, “Toxicity of Trimethylsilanol,” http://www.speciation.net/Database/Links/Toxicity-of-Trimethylsilanol-;i1069.
- U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration, “Trimethylsilanol,” http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_274020.html.
- US EPA, “Existing Chemicals Action Plans,” http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/existingchemicals/pubs/ecactionpln.html.
- S. C. Popat and M. A. Deshusses, “Biological removal of siloxanes from landfill and digester gases: opportunities and challenges,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 22, pp. 8510–8515, 2008.
- M. Schweigkofler and R. Niessner, “Removal of siloxanes in biogases,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 183–196, 2001.
- K. Seguin, A. Dallas, and G. Weineck, “Breakthrough chemical analysis of HMDS reveals a solution for the prevention of lens hazing,” Technical Note, Donaldson Filtration Solutions, 2010.
- A. Narros, M. I. D. Peso, G. Mele, M. Vinot, E. Fernández, and M. E. Rodríguez, “Determination of siloxanes in landfill gas by adsorption on Tenax tubes and TD-GC-MS,” in Proceedings of the 12th International Waste Management and Landfill Symposium, CISA Publisher, S. Margherita di Pula, Cagliari, Italy, 2009.
- US EPA, “Compendium Method TO-14A. Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds in Ambient Air Using Specially Prepared Canisters with Subsequent Analysis by Gas Chromatography,” EPA 625/R-96/010b, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 1999.
- D. K. W. Wang and C. C. Austin, “Determination of complex mixtures of volatile organic compounds in ambient air: canister methodology,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 386, no. 4, pp. 1099–1120, 2006.
- M. Schweigkofler and R. Niessner, “Determination of siloxanes and VOC in landfill gas and sewage gas by canister sampling and GC-MS/AES analysis,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 33, no. 20, pp. 3680–3685, 1999.
- E. A. McBean, “Siloxanes in biogases from landfills and wastewater digesters,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 431–436, 2008.
- S. Rasi, J. Lehtinen, and J. Rintala, “Determination of organic silicon compounds in biogas from wastewater treatments plants, landfills, and co-digestion plants,” Renewable Energy, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2666–2673, 2010.
- K. Oshita, Y. Ishihara, M. Takaoka et al., “Behaviour and adsorptive removal of siloxanes in sewage sludge biogas,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 2003–2012, 2010.
- G. Piechota, M. Hagmann, and R. Buczkowski, “Removal and determination of trimethylsilanol from the landfill gas,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 16–20, 2012.
- M. Harper, “Sorbent trapping of volatile organic compounds from air,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 885, no. 1-2, pp. 129–151, 2000.
- E. Woolfenden, “Sorbent-based sampling methods for volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds in air—part 2. Sorbent selection and other aspects of optimizing air monitoring methods,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1217, no. 16, pp. 2685–2694, 2010.
- E. Woolfenden, “Sorbent-based sampling methods for volatile and semi-volatile organic compounds in air—part 1: sorbent-based air monitoring options,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1217, no. 16, pp. 2674–2684, 2010.
- C. Y. Peng and S. Batterman, “Performance evaluation of a sorbent tube sampling method using short path thermal desorption for volatile organic compounds,” Journal of Environmental Monitoring, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 313–324, 2000.
- J. H. Lee, S. A. Batterman, C. Jia, and S. Chernyak, “Ozone artifacts and carbonyl measurements using Tenax GR, Tenax TA, Carbopack B, and Carbopack X adsorbents,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1503–1517, 2006.
- F. Chainet, C. P. Lienemann, M. Courtiade, J. Ponthus, and O. F. Xavier Donard, “Silicon speciation by hyphenated techniques for environmental, biological and industrial issues: a review,” Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 30–51, 2011.
- C. Jia, S. Batterman, and S. Chernyak, “Development and comparison of methods using MS scan and selective ion monitoring modes for a wide range of airborne VOCs,” Journal of Environmental Monitoring, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1029–1042, 2006.
- US EPA, “Compendium Method TO-15, Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in Air Collected in Specially-Prepared Canisters and Analyzed by Gas Chromatograpy/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS),” EPA 625/R-96/010b, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 1999.
- US EPA, “Compendium Method TO-17, Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds in Ambient Air Using Active Sampling onto Sorbent Tubes,” EPA 625/R-96/010b, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 1999.
- US EPA, “Guidance for Quality Assurance Project Plans, EPA QA/G-5,” EPA 240/R-02/009, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- “Protection of Environment”, In Code of Federal Regulations Title 40, Appendix B to Part 136.
- M. Huxham and C. L. Paul Thomas, “Sampling procedures for intrinsically valid volatile organic compound measurements,” Analyst, vol. 125, no. 5, pp. 825–832, 2000.
- H. Q. Le, S. A. Batterman, and R. L. Wahl, “Reproducibility and imputation of air toxics data,” Journal of Environmental Monitoring, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1358–1372, 2007.
- US EPA, “EPA Positive Matrix Factorization (PMF) 3.0 Fundamentals & User Guide,” EPA 600/R-08/108, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2008.
- G. M. Gross, V. R. Reid, and R. E. Synovec, “Recent advances in instrumentation for gas chromatography,” Current Analytical Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 135–147, 2005.
- M. Arnold and T. Kajolinna, “Development of on-line measurement techniques for siloxanes and other trace compounds in biogas,” Waste Management, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1011–1017, 2010.
- Q. Zhong, W. H. Steinecker, and E. T. Zellers, “Characterization of a high-performance portable GC with a chemiresistor array detector,” Analyst, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 283–293, 2009.