- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 731526, 13 pages
Structure and Pathology of Tau Protein in Alzheimer Disease
1Laboratory of Biochemistry and Brain Pathophysiology and AD Center, Prague Psychiatric Center, Ústavní 91, 181 03 Prague 8, Czech Republic
2Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Ruská 87, 100 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic
3Department of Cell Biology, Center of Research and Advanced Studies, National Polytechnic Institute, Avenue Instituto Politecnico Nacional 2508, 07360 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
4Department of Neurology, Third Faculty of Medicine, Faculty Hospital Královské Vinohrady, Charles University in Prague, Šrobárova 50, 100 34 Prague 10, Czech Republic
Received 19 January 2012; Revised 28 March 2012; Accepted 29 March 2012
Academic Editor: David Blum
Copyright © 2012 Michala Kolarova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [48 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ales Bartos, Lenka Fialova, Jana Svarcova, and Daniela Ripova, “Patients with Alzheimer disease have elevated intrathecal synthesis of antibodies against tau protein and heavy neurofilament,” Journal Of Neuroimmunology, vol. 252, no. 1-2, pp. 100–105, 2012.
- Sunmin Park, Da Sol Kim, Suna Kang, and Na Rang Moon, “β-Amyloid-induced cognitive dysfunction impairs glucose homeostasis by increasing insulin resistance and decreasing β-cell mass in non-diabetic and diabetic rats,” Metabolism, 2013.
- Jan Říčný, “Overlooked Alzheimer’s Smoking Gun?,” Neurochemical Research, 2013.
- Ramasamy Thangavel, Duraisamy Kempuraj, Deirdre Stolmeier, Poojya Anantharam, Mohammad Khan, and Asgar Zaheer, “Glia Maturation Factor Expression in Entorhinal Cortex of Alzheimer’s Disease Brain,” Neurochemical Research, 2013.
- Yancy Ferrer-Acosta, Eva N. Rodríguez-Cruz, François Orange, Hector De Jesús-Cortés, Bismark Madera, Jaime Vaquer-Alicea, Juan Ballester, Maxime J.-F. Guinel, George S. Bloom, and Irving E. Vega, “EFhd2 is a novel amyloid protein associated with pathological tau in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 921–931, 2013.
- Wolfgang Froestl, Andrea Pfeifer, and Andreas Muhs, “Cognitive Enhancers (Nootropics). Part 3: Drugs Interacting with Targets other than Receptors or Enzymes. Disease-modifying Drugs,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–114, 2013.
- Khushwant S. Bhullar, and H. P. Vasantha Rupasinghe, “Polyphenols: Multipotent Therapeutic Agents in Neurodegenerative Diseases,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2013, pp. 1–18, 2013.
- Bruno Bulic, Marcus Pickhardt, and Eckhard Mandelkow, “Progress and Developments in Tau Aggregation Inhibitors for Alzheimer Disease,” Journal Of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 4135–4155, 2013.
- Shraddha D. Rege, Thangiah Geetha, Gerald D. Griffin, Tom L. Broderick, and Jeganathan Ramesh Babu, “Neuroprotective effects of resveratrol in Alzheimer disease pathology,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 6, 2014.
- P. Cermakova, M. Eriksdotter, L. H. Lund, B. Winblad, P. Religa, and D. Religa, “Heart failure and Alzheimer′s disease,” Journal of Internal Medicine, 2014.
- Julia E. Gerson, Diana L. Castillo-Carranza, and Rakez Kayed, “Advances in Therapeutics for Neurodegenerative Tauopathies: Moving toward the Specific Targeting of the Most Toxic Tau Species,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, pp. 140808101712009, 2014.
- Tamás Vajda, and András Perczel, “Role of water in protein folding, oligomerization, amyloidosis and miniprotein,” Journal of Peptide Science, 2014.
- Fouad H. Darras, Sarah Wehle, Guozheng Huang, Christoph A. Sotriffer, and Michael Decker, “Amine substitution of quinazolinones leads to selective nanomolar AChE inhibitors with “inverted” binding mode,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2014.
- Dante J. Marciani, “New Th2 adjuvants for preventive and active immunotherapy of neurodegenerative proteinopathies,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 912–920, 2014.
- Min Xie, Shao-Hui Wang, Zhi-Min Lu, Ying Pan, and Qi-Cai Chen, “UCH-L1 Inhibition Involved in CREB Dephosphorylation in Hippocampal Slices,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2014.
- Chiara Appocher, Raffaella Klima, and Fabian Feiguin, “Functional screening in Drosophila reveals the conserved role of REEP1 in promoting stress resistance and preventing the formation of Tau aggregates,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 23, no. 25, pp. 6762–6772, 2014.
- Sandra Reeg, and Tilman Grune, “Protein Oxidation in Aging: Does It Play a Role in Aging Progression?,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, pp. 141009073447009, 2014.
- Sungsu Lim, Md. Mamunul Haque, Dohee Kim, Dong Jin Kim, and Yun Kyung Kim, “Cell-based models to investigate tau aggregation,” Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, 2014.
- Xin Zhou, Chun Yang, Yufeng Liu, Peng Li, Huiying Yang, Jingxing Dai, Rongmei Qu, and Lin Yuan, “Lipid rafts participate in aberrant degradative autophagic-lysosomal pathway of amyloid-beta peptide in Alzheimer's disease,” Neural Regeneration Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 92–100, 2014.
- Min Xie, Yun Han, Quntao Yu, Xia Wang, Shaohui Wang, and Xiaomei Liao, “UCH-L1 Inhibition Decreases the Microtubule-Binding Function of Tau Protein,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 353–363, 2015.
- Kina Hoglund, Anthony Fourier, Armand Perret-Liaudet, Henrik Zetterberg, Kaj Blennow, and Erik Portelius, “Alzheimer's disease - Recent biomarker developments in relation to updated diagnostic criteria,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 449, pp. 3–8, 2015.
- Anu Rani, Neha, Rupinder K. Sodhi, and Amanpreet Kaur, “Protective effect of a calcium channel blocker “diltiazem” on aluminum chloride-induced dementia in mice,” Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Archives of Pharmacology, 2015.
- Oliver Reimann, Maria Glanz, and Christian P. R. Hackenberger, “Native chemical ligation between asparagine and valine: Application and limitations for the synthesis of tri-phosphorylated C-terminal tau,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 2890–2894, 2015.
- Jan Torleif Pedersen, and Einar M. Sigurdsson, “Tau immunotherapy for Alzheimer's disease,” Trends In Molecular Medicine, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 394–402, 2015.
- Dong-Young Choi, and Hyukjae Choi, “Natural products from marine organisms with neuroprotective activity in the experimental models of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and ischem,” Archives Of Pharmacal Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 139–170, 2015.
- Lenka Hromadkova, Michala Kolarova, Barbora Jankovicova, Ales Bartos, Jan Ricny, Zuzana Bilkova, and Daniela Ripova, “Identification and characterization of natural antibodies against tau protein in an intravenous immunoglobulin product,” Journal Of Neuroimmunology, vol. 289, pp. 121–129, 2015.
- O. G. Tatarnikova, M. A. Orlov, and N. V. Bobkova, “Beta-Amyloid and Tau-Protein: Structure, Interaction, and Prion-Like Properties,” Biochemistry-Moscow, vol. 80, no. 13, pp. 1800–1819, 2015.
- Emilio Badoer, Samin Kosari, and Martin J. Stebbing, “Resistin, an Adipokine with Non-Generalized Actions on Sympathetic Nerve Activity,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 6, 2015.
- Dohee Kim, Sungsu Lim, Md. Mamunul Haque, Nayeon Ryoo, Hyun Seok Hong, Hyewhon Rhim, Dong-Eun Lee, Young-Tae Chang, Jun-Seok Lee, Eunji Cheong, Dong Jin Kim, and Yun Kyung Kim, “Identification of disulfide cross-linked tau dimer responsible for tau propagation,” Scientific Reports, vol. 5, pp. 15231, 2015.
- Yu Jin, Takeshi Kanno, and Tomoyuki Nishizaki, “Acute Restraint Stress Impairs Induction of Long-Term Potentiation by Activating GSK-3 beta,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 36–40, 2015.
- Zhenzhen Liu, Tao Li, Ping Li, Nannan Wei, Zhiquan Zhao, Huimin Liang, Xinying Ji, Wenwu Chen, Mengzhou Xue, and Jianshe Wei, “The Ambiguous Relationship of Oxidative Stress, Tau Hyperphosphorylation, and Autophagy Dysfunction in Alzheimer’s Disease,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2015, pp. 1–12, 2015.
- Karinne Marieta Carvalho, Eduardo Winter, and Adelaide Maria de Souza Antunes, “Analysis of Technological Developments in the Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease through Patent Documents,” Intelligent Information Management, vol. 07, no. 05, pp. 268–281, 2015.
- Andrea Spolcova, Barbora Mikulaskova, Martina Holubova, Veronika Nagelova, Zdenko Pirnik, Jana Zemenova, Martin Haluzik, Blanka Zelezna, Marie-Christine Galas, and Lenka Maletinska, “Anorexigenic Lipopeptides Ameliorate Central Insulin Signaling and Attenuate Tau Phosphorylation in Hippocampi of Mice with Monosodium Glutamate-Induc,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 823–835, 2015.
- Alexei A. Adzhubei, Anastasia A. Anashkina, and Alexander A. Makarov, “Left-handed polyproline-II helix revisited: proteins causing proteopathies,” Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, pp. 1–13, 2016.
- Mohammad Haddadi, Samaneh Reiszadeh Jahromi, Upendra Nongthomba, T. Shivanandappa, and S.R. Ramesh, “4-Hydroxyisophthalic acid from Decalepis hamiltonii rescues the neurobehavioral deficit in transgenic Drosophila model of taupathies,” Neurochemistry International, 2016.
- Simona Scarano, Samuele Lisi, Corinne Ravelet, Eric Peyrin, and Maria Minunni, “Detecting Alzheimer's Disease biomarkers: from antibodies to new bio-mimetic receptors and their application to established and emerging bioanalytical platforms - A critical review,” Analytica Chimica Acta, 2016.
- Steffen Kutter, Timo Eichner, Alexandra M. Deaconescu, and Dorothee Kern, “Regulation of Microtubule Assembly by Tau and not by Pin1,” Journal Of Molecular Biology, vol. 428, no. 9, pp. 1742–1759, 2016.
- Jonathan Gilley, Kunie Ando, Anjan Seereeram, Teresa Rodriguez-Martin, Amy M. Pooler, Laura Sturdee, Brian H. Anderton, Jean-Pierre Brion, Diane P. Hanger, and Michael P. Coleman, “Mislocalization of neuronal tau in the absence of tangle pathology in phosphomutant tau knockin mice,” Neurobiology Of Aging, vol. 39, pp. 1–18, 2016.
- Davide Seripa, Vincenzo Solfrizzi, Bruno P. Imbimbo, Antonio Daniele, Andrea Santamato, Madia Lozupone, Giovanni Zuliani, Antonio Greco, Giancarlo Logroscino, and Francesco Panza, “Tau-directed approaches for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: focus on leuco-methylthioninium,” Expert Review Of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 259–277, 2016.
- Liang Xu, Jie Zheng, Martin Margittai, Ruth Nussinov, and Buyong Ma, “How Does Hyperphopsphorylation Promote Tau Aggregation and Modulate Filament Structure and Stability?,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, 2016.
- Yanfang Li, Hao Sun, Zhicai Chen, Huaxi Xu, Guojun Bu, and Hui Zheng, “Implications of GABAergic Neurotransmission in Alzheimer’s Disease,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 8, 2016.
- Florent X. Smit, Jurriaan A. Luiken, and Peter G. Bolhuis, “ Primary Fibril Nucleation of Aggregation Prone Tau Fragments PHF6 and PHF6 * ,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2016.
- Tao Wang, Qiwen Wang, Ruilong Song, Yajing Zhang, Jinlong Yang, Yi Wang, Yan Yuan, Jianchun Bian, Xuezhong Liu, Jianhong Gu, Jiaqiao Zhu, and Zongping Liu, “Cadmium induced inhibition of autophagy is associated with microtubule disruption and mitochondrial dysfunction in primary rat cerebral cortical neuro,” Neurotoxicology And Teratology, vol. 53, pp. 11–18, 2016.
- Jonathan J. Sabbagh, and Chad A. Dickey, “The Metamorphic Nature of the Tau Protein: Dynamic Flexibility Comes at a Cost,” Frontiers in Neuroscience, vol. 10, 2016.
- Ramon Yarza, Silvia Vela, Maite Solas, and Maria J. Ramirez, “c-Jun N-terminal Kinase (JNK) Signaling as a Therapeutic Target for Alzheimer’s Disease,” Frontiers in Pharmacology, vol. 6, 2016.
- Moran Frenkel-Pinter, Sharon Tal, Roni Scherzer-Attali, Malak Abu-Hussien, Idan Alyagor, Tal Eisenbaum, Ehud Gazit, and Daniel Segal, “Naphthoquinone-Tryptophan Hybrid Inhibits Aggregation of the Tau-Derived Peptide PHF6 and Reduces Neurotoxicity,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 165–178, 2016.
- Francesco Panza, Vincenzo Solfrizzi, Davide Seripa, Bruno P. Imbimbo, Madia Lozupone, Andrea Santamato, Chiara Zecca, Maria Rosaria Barulli, Antonello Bellomo, Alberto Pilotto, Antonio Daniele, Antonio Greco, and Giancarlo Logroscino, “Tau-Centric Targets and Drugs in Clinical Development for the Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–15, 2016.
- Dmitriy V Prokopovich, John W Whittaker, Micaiah M Muthee, Azka Ahmed, and Luca Larini, “Impact of Phosphorylation and Pseudo-Phosphorylation on the Early Stages of Aggregation of the Microtubule Associated Protein Tau,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2017.