Development of Computed Tomography AlgorithmsView this Special Issue
Hengyong Yu, Yangbo Ye, Shiying Zhao, Ge Wang, "Local ROI Reconstruction via Generalized FBP and BPF Algorithms along More Flexible Curves", International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2006, Article ID 014989, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJBI/2006/14989
Local ROI Reconstruction via Generalized FBP and BPF Algorithms along More Flexible Curves
We study the local region-of-interest (ROI) reconstruction problem, also referred to as the local CT problem. Our scheme includes two steps: (a) the local truncated normal-dose projections are extended to global dataset by combining a few global low-dose projections; (b) the ROI are reconstructed by either the generalized filtered backprojection (FBP) or backprojection-filtration (BPF) algorithms. The simulation results show that both the FBP and BPF algorithms can reconstruct satisfactory results with image quality in the ROI comparable to that of the corresponding global CT reconstruction.
- G. Wang, D. L. Snyder, and M. W. Vannier, “Local computed tomography via iterative deblurring,” Scanning, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 582–588, 1996.
- G. Wang, M. W. Vannier, and P.-C. Cheng, “Iterative X-ray cone-beam tomography for metal artifact reduction and local region reconstruction,” Microscopy and Microanalysis, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 1999.
- T. Olson and J. DeStefano, “Wavelet localization of the Radon transform,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 2055–2067, 1994.
- S. Zhao and G. Wang, “Feldkamp-type cone-beam tomography in the wavelet framework,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 922–929, 2000.
- M. A. Anastasio, D. Shi, X. Pan, C. Pelizzari, and P. Munro, “A preliminary investigation of local tomography for megavoltage CT imaging,” Medical Physics, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2969–2980, 2003.
- A. Faridani, E. L. Ritman, and K. T. Smith, “Local tomography,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 459–484, 1992.
- A. Katsevich, “Cone beam local tomography,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 2224–2246, 1999.
- A. Katsevich, “Theoretically exact filtered backprojection-type inversion algorithm for spiral CT,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 2012–2026, 2002.
- A. Katsevich, “An improved exact filtered backprojection algorithm for spiral computed tomography,” Advances in Applied Mathematics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 681–697, 2004.
- Y. Zou and X. C. Pan, “Exact image reconstruction on PI-lines from minimum data in helical cone-beam CT,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 941–959, 2004.
- J. D. Pack and F. Noo, “Cone-beam reconstruction using 1D filtering along the projection of M-lines,” Inverse Problems, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1105–1120, 2005.
- Y. B. Ye and G. Wang, “Filtered backprojection formula for exact image reconstruction from cone-beam data along a general scanning curve,” Medical Physics, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 42–48, 2005.
- J. D. Pack, F. Noo, and R. Clackdoyle, “Cone-beam reconstruction using the backprojection of locally filtered projections,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 70–85, 2005.
- Y. B. Ye, S. Zhao, H. Y. Yu, and G. Wang, “Exact reconstruction for cone-beam scanning along nonstandard spirals and other curves,” in Developments in X-Ray Tomography IV, vol. 5535 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 293–300, Denver, Colo, USA, August 2004.
- Y. B. Ye, S. Zhao, H. Y. Yu, and G. Wang, “A general exact reconstruction for cone-beam CT via backprojection-filtration,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 1190–1198, 2005.
- S. Zhao, H. Y. Yu, and G. Wang, “A unified framework for exact cone-beam reconstruction formulas,” Medical Physics, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1712–1721, 2005.
- T. L. Zhuang, S. Leng, B. E. Nett, and G.-H. Chen, “Fan-beam and cone-beam image reconstruction via filtering the backprojection image of differentiated projection data,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 24, pp. 5489–5503, 2004.
- Y. Zou and X. C. Pan, “An extended data function and its generalized backprojection for image reconstruction in helical cone-beam CT,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 22, pp. N383–N387, 2004.
- G. Wang, S. Zhao, H. Y. Yu et al., “Design, analysis and simulation for development of the first clinical micro-CT scanner,” Academic Radiology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 511–525, 2005.
- R. N. Chityala, K. R. Hoffmann, D. R. Bednarek, and S. Rudin, “Region of interest (ROI) computed tomography,” in Medical Imaging 2004: Physics of Medical Imaging, vol. 5368 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 534–541, San Diego, Calif, USA, February 2004.
- S. Azevedo, P. Rizo, and P. Grangeat, “Region-of-interest cone-beam computed tomography,” in Proceedings of the International Meeting on Fully Three-Dimensional Image Reconstruction in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine (3D '95), pp. 381–385, Aix les Bains, France, July 1995.
- H. Y. Yu, S. Zhao, Y. B. Ye, and G. Wang, “Exact BPF and FBP algorithms for nonstandard saddle curves,” Medical Physics, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 3305–3312, 2005.
- H. Y. Yu, Y. B. Ye, S. Zhao, and G. Wang, “A backprojection-filtration algorithm for nonstandard spiral cone-beam CT with an n-PI-window,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 2099–2111, 2005.
- P. Grangeat, “Mathematical framework of cone beam 3D reconstruction via the first derivative of the Radon transform,” in Mathematical Methods in Tomography, G. T. Herman, A. K. Louis, and F. Natterer, Eds., pp. 66–97, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- A. Katsevich, “A general scheme for constructing inversion algorithms for cone beam CT,” International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences, vol. 2003, no. 21, pp. 1305–1321, 2003.
- B. D. Smith, “Image reconstruction from cone-beam projections: necessary and sufficient conditions and reconstruction methods,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 14–25, 1985.
- H. K. Tuy, “An inversion formula for cone-beam reconstruction,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 546–552, 1983.
- V. P. Palamodov, “Reconstruction from ray integrals with sources on a curve,” Inverse Problems, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 239–242, 2004.
- H. Y. Yu, Y. B. Ye, S. Y. Zhao, and G. Wang, “Studies on Palamodov's algorithm for cone-beam CT along a general curve,” to appear in Inverse Problems.
- H. Y. Yu et al., “Fan-beam reconstruction with compensation for in-plane motion based on data consistency,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, under review.
- F. Natterer, The Mathematics of Computerized Tomography, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- H. Y. Yu, S. Zhao, and G. Wang, “A differentiable Shepp-Logan phantom and its applications in exact cone-beam CT,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 50, no. 23, pp. 5583–5595, 2005.
- A. C. Kak and M. Slaney, Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
Copyright © 2006 Hengyong Yu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.