Mathematics in Biomedical ImagingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Ye Duan, Xiaoling Li, Yongjian Xi, "Thalamus Segmentation from Diffusion Tensor Magnetic Resonance Imaging", International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2007, Article ID 090216, 5 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/90216
Thalamus Segmentation from Diffusion Tensor Magnetic Resonance Imaging
We propose a semi-automatic thalamus and thalamus nuclei segmentation algorithm from Diffusion Tensor Magnetic Resonance Imaging (DT-MRI) based on the mean-shift algorithm. Comparing with existing thalamus segmentation algorithms which are mainly based on K-means algorithm, our mean-shift based algorithm is more flexible and adaptive. It does not assume a Gaussian distribution or a fixed number of clusters. Furthermore, the single parameter in the mean-shift based algorithm supports hierarchical clustering naturally.
- P. J. Basser, S. Pajevic, C. Pierpaoli, J. Duda, and A. Aldroubi, “In vivo fiber tractography using DT-MRI data,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 625–632, 2000.
- M. R. Wiegell, D. S. Tuch, H. B. W. Larsson, and V. J. Wedeen, “Automatic segmentation of thalamic nuclei from diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging,” NeuroImage, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 391–401, 2003.
- T. E. Behrens, H. Johansen-Berg, and M. W. Woolrich et al., “Non-invasive mapping of connections between human thalamus and cortex using diffusion imaging,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 750–757, 2003.
- L. Jonasson, P. Hagmann, and C. Pollo et al., “A level set method for segmentation of the thalamus and its nuclei in DT-MRI,” Signal Processing, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 309–321, 2007.
- D. Comaniciu and P. Meer, “Mean shift: a robust approach toward feature space analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 603–619, 2002.
- C.-F. Westin, S. E. Maier, H. Mamata, A. Nabavi, F. A. Jolesz, and R. Kikinis, “Processing and visualization for diffusion tensor MRI,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 93–108, 2002.
Copyright © 2007 Ye Duan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.