- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 374796, 11 pages
Secure Routing Protocol Using Cross-Layer Design and Energy Harvesting in Wireless Sensor Networks
1Biomedical Technology Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University, Riyadh 11633, Saudi Arabia
2Institute of Information Technology, Kohat University of Science and Technology (KUST), Kohat City 26000, Pakistan
3Department of Communications, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Camino de Vera 46022, Valencia, Spain
4School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, London NW4 4BT, UK
Received 28 November 2012; Accepted 23 December 2012
Academic Editor: Shuai Li
Copyright © 2013 Nabil Ali Alrajeh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Khan, N. Mast, and J. Loo, “Denial of service attacks and mitigation techniques in IEEE 802.11 Wireless mesh networks,” Information, vol. 12, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- M. Segal, “Improving lifetime of wireless sensor networks,” Network Protocols and Algorithms, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 48–60, 2009.
- J. M. Gilbert and F. Balouchi, “Comparison of energy harvesting systems for wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Automation and Computing, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 334–347, 2008.
- S. Sendra, J. Lloret, M. Garcia, and J. F. Toledo, “Power saving and energy optimization techniques for Wireless Sensor Networks,” Journal of Communications, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 439–459, 2011.
- A. H. Mohsin, K. Abu Bakar, A. Adekiigbe, and K. Z. Ghafoor, “A survey of energy-aware routing protocols in Mobile Ad-hoc networks: trends and challenges,” Network Protocols and Algorithms, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 82–107, 2012.
- S. Shakkottai, T. S. Rappaport, and P. C. Karlsson, “Cross-layer design for wireless networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 74–80, 2003.
- V. Srivastava and M. Motani, “Cross-layer design: a survey and the road ahead,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 112–119, 2005.
- S. Khan, K. K. Loo, N. Mast, and T. Naeem, “SRPM: secure routing protocol for IEEE 802.11 infrastructure based wireless mesh networks,” Journal of Network and Systems Management, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 190–209, 2010.
- S. Khan and J. Loo, “Cross layer secure and resource-aware on-demand routing protocol for hybrid wireless mesh networks,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 62, pp. 201–214, 2010.
- S. Khan, N. Mast, J. Loo, and A. Silahuddin, “Passive security threats and consequences in IEEE 802. 11 wireless mesh networks,” International Journal of Digital Content Technology and Its Applications (JDCTA), vol. 2, pp. 4–8, 2008.
- M. Frederickson, A publication of the National Electronics Manufacturing Center of Excellence, 2005.
- K. Akkaya and M. Younis, “A survey on routing protocols for wireless sensor networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 325–349, 2005.
- S. Singh, M. Singh, and D. Singh, “Routing protocols in wireless sensor networks, A survey,” International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Survey (IJCSES), vol. 1, pp. 25–34, 2010.
- A. Popescu, G. Tudorache, B. Peng, and A. Kemp, “Surveying position based routing protocols for wireless sensor and Ad-hoc networks,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 41–67, 2012.
- O. Fdili, Y. Fakhri, and D. Aboutajdine, “Impact of queue buffer size awareness on single and multi service real-time routing protocols for WSNs,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 104–111, 2012.
- M. Hussaini, H. Bello-Salau, A. Salami, F. Anwar, A. Abdalla, and M. Islam, “Enhanced clustering routing protocol for power-efficient gathering in wireless sensor network,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 18–28, 2012.
- A. Kellner, O. Alfandi, and D. Hogrefe, “A survey on measures for secure routing in wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Sensor Networks and Data Communications, vol. 1, Article ID 235548, pp. 1–17, 2012.
- J. Sen, “A survey on wireless sensor network security,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol. 1, pp. 55–78, 2009.
- K. Xing, “Attacks and countermeasures in sensor networks, a survey,” Springer Network Security, vol. 7, pp. 534–548, 2005.
- V. Kesavan and S. Radhakrishnan, “Multiple secret keys based security for wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Information Security (IJCNIS), vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 68–76, 2012.
- M. Azeem, K. Khan, and A. Pramod, “Security architecture framework and secure routing protocols in wireless sensor networks-survey,” International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Survey (IJCSES), vol. 2, pp. 189–204, 2011.
- C. Karlof and D. Wagner, “Secure routing in wireless sensor networks: attacks and countermeasures,” Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 1, no. 2-3, pp. 293–315, 2003.
- B. Kur, Secure routing protocols for wireless sensor networks [M.S. thesis], Masaryk University Faculty of Informatics, Brno, Czech Republic, 2008.
- P. Samundiswary, D. Sathian, and P. Dananjayan, “Secured greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Ad Hoc, Sensor & Ubiquitous Computing (IJASUC), vol. 1, pp. 9–20, 2010.
- M. Liu, J. Cao, G. Chen, and X. Wang, “An energy-aware routing protocol in wireless sensor networks,” Sensors, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 445–462, 2009.
- M. Younus, A. A. Minhas, M. Y. Javed, and A. Naseer, “EEAR: efficient energy aware routing in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on ICT and Knowledge Engineering (ICTKE '09), pp. 57–62, December 2009.
- S. Singh, M. Singh, and D. Singh, “A survey of energy-efficient hierarchical cluster-based routing in wireless sensor networks,” International Journal of Advanced Networking and Applications, vol. 2, pp. 570–580, 2010.
- D. Noh, I. Yoon, and H. Shin, “Low-latency geographic routing for asynchronous energy-harvesting WSNs,” Journal of Networks, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 78–85, 2008.
- O. Jumira, R. Wolhuter, and S. Zeadally, “Energy-efficient beaconless geographic routing in energy harvested wireless sensor networks,” Concurrency and Computation, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 58–84, 2013.
- Z. Eu and H. Tan, “Adaptive opportunistic routing protocol for energy harvesting wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '12), pp. 318–322, June 2012.
- R. Doost, K. R. Chowdhury, and M. Di Felice, “Routing and link layer protocol design for sensor networks with wireless energy transfer,” in Proceedings of the 53rd IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM '10), December 2010.
- K. Takahashi, M. Bandai, H. Tan, W. Seah, and T. Watanabe, Least Impact Routing towards Sustainable Sensor Networks Enhanced by Energy Harvesting. White Paper published by Victoria University of Wellington, 2010.
- G. Dai, J. Qiu, P. Liu, B. Lin, and S. Zhang, “Remaining energy-level-based transmission power control for energy-harvesting WSNs,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 2012, Article ID 934240, 12 pages, 2012.
- N. Pais, “Cost-benefit aware routing protocol for wireless sensor networks with hybrid energy storage system,” Journal of Green Engineering, vol. 11, pp. 189–208, 2011.
- S. Kim, C. Won, J. Lee, S. Kwon, and Y. Park, “Harvesting aware system for sustainable mobile sensor networks,” International Journal of Hybrid Information Technology, vol. 5, pp. 199–206, 2012.
- Z. A. Eu, H. P. Tan, and W. K. G. Seah, “Opportunistic routing in wireless sensor networks powered by ambient energy harvesting,” Computer Networks, vol. 54, no. 17, pp. 2943–2966, 2010.
- A. Förster, A. Förster, and A. L. Murphy, “Optimal cluster sizes for wireless sensor networks: an experimental analysis,” in Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 28 of Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, pp. 49–63, 2010.
- A. A. Abbasi and M. Younis, “A survey on clustering algorithms for wireless sensor networks,” Computer Communications, vol. 30, no. 14-15, pp. 2826–2841, 2007.
- S. Chalasani and J. M. Conrad, “A survey of energy harvesting sources for embedded systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Conference of Southeastcon, pp. 442–447, April 2008.
- B. Atwood, B. Warneke, and K. S. J. Pister, “Smart dust mote forerunners,” in Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS '01), pp. 357–360, January 2001.
- G. Park, T. Rosing, M. D. Todd, C. R. Farrar, and W. Hodgkiss, “Energy harvesting for structural health monitoring sensor networks,” Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 64–79, 2008.
- L. Mateu and F. Moll, “Review of energy harvesting techniques and applications for microelectronics,” in Proceedings of the SPIE Microtechnologies for the New Millennium, pp. 359–373, May 2005.
- C. Moser, Power management in energy harvesting embedded systems. Doctor of Sciences dissertation [Ph.D. thesis], Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland, 2009.
- A. Kansal, J. Hsu, S. Zahedi, and M. B. Srivastava, “Power management in energy harvesting sensor networks,” ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–35, 2007.
- W. R. Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Siences (HICSS-33), p. 223, Maui, Hawaii, USA, January 2000.
- M. Ba, I. Niang, B. Gueye, and T. Noel, “A deterministic key management scheme for securing cluster-based sensors networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE/IFIP 8th International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC '10), pp. 422–427, December 2010.