- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789653, 8 pages
Androgens and Adipose Tissue in Males: A Complex and Reciprocal Interplay
1Centre of Clinical and Basic Research, Department of Medical Sciences, IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana, 235 00163 Rome, Italy
2Unit of Endocrinology, S. Eugenio & CTO A. Alesini Hospitals, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Rome, Italy
3Department of Medical Pathophysiology, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Rome, Italy
Received 2 August 2011; Accepted 15 September 2011
Academic Editor: Rodolfo Rey
Copyright © 2012 Caterina Mammi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [25 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Anna Florvaag, Volker Oberle, Michael Fritzenwanger, Daniel Kretschmar, Stefan Betge, Bjoern Goebel, Dagmar Barz, Markus Ferrari, Hans R. Figulla, Marcus Franz, and Christian Jung, “Testosterone deficiency in male heart failure patients and its effect on endothelial progenitor cells,” Aging Male, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 180–186, 2012.
- Carla Lubrano, Lorenzo M. Donini, Andrea Lenzi, Lucio Gnessi, Maurizio Saponara, Giuseppe Barbaro, Palma Specchia, Eliana Addessi, Daniela Costantini, Marta Tenuta, Gabriella Di Lorenzo, and Giuseppe Genovesi, “Relationships between Body Fat Distribution, Epicardial Fat and Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Obese Patients with and without Metabolic Syndrome,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 10, 2012.
- Carmine Finelli, and Giovanni Tarantino, “Should visceral fat, strictly linked to hepatic steatosis, be depleted to improve survival?,” Hepatology International, 2012.
- Daniela Pasquali, Michele Arcopinto, Andrea Renzullo, Mario Rotondi, Giacomo Accardo, Andrea Salzano, Daniela Esposito, Lavinia Saldamarco, Andrea M. Isidori, Alberto M. Marra, Antonio Ruvolo, Raffaele Napoli, Eduardo Bossone, Andrea Lenzi, Ragavendra R. Baliga, and Luigi Sacca, “Cardiovascular abnormalities in Klinefelter Syndrome,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 754–759, 2013.
- Saboor S. A. Aftab, Sudhesh Kumar, and Thomas M. Barber, “Author response to letter,” Clinical Endocrinology, 2013.
- Ping Wang, Paul P.C.A. Menheere, Arne Astrup, Malene R. Andersen, Marleen A. van Baak, Thomas M. Larsen, Susan Jebb, Anthony Kafatos, Andreas F.H. Pfeiffer, J. Alfredo Martinez, Teodora Handjieva-Darlenska, Petr Hlavaty, Nathalie Viguerie, Dominique Langin, Wim H.M. Saris, and Edwin C.M. Mariman, “Metabolic syndrome, circulating RBP4, testosterone, and SHBG predict weight regain at 6 months after weight loss in men,” Obesity, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1997–2006, 2013.
- Richard A. Deyo, David H. M. Smith, Eric S. Johnson, Carrie J. Tillotson, Marilee Donovan, Xiuhai Yang, Amanda Petrik, Benjamin J. Morasco, and Steven K. Dobscha, “Prescription Opioids for Back Pain and Use of Medications for Erectile Dysfunction,” Spine, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 909–915, 2013.
- Alessandra Feraco, Andrea Armani, Caterina Mammi, Andrea Fabbri, Giuseppe M.C. Rosano, and Massimiliano Caprio, “Role of mineralocorticoid receptor and renin–angiotensin–aldosterone system in adipocyte dysfunction and obesity,” The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2013.
- A. Guimard, N. Vibarel-Rebot, F. Prieur, A. Baillot, E. Mongeois, M. -G. Barrande, F. Lasne, and K. Collomp, “Effect of obesity on diurnal patterns of testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone in male subjects,” Science & Sports, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 331–334, 2013.
- J Khoo, P-S Ling, J Tan, A Teo, H-L Ng, R Y-T Chen, T-L Tay, E Tan, and M Cheong, “Comparing the effects of meal replacements with reduced-fat diet on weight, sexual and endothelial function, testosterone and quality of life in obese Asian men,” International Journal of Impotence Research, 2013.
- S. A. Saboor Aftab, S. Kumar, and T. M. Barber, “The role of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus in the development of male obesity-associated secondary hypogonadism,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 330–337, 2013.
- Benedict Tan, Darren Leong, Kelvin Chew, Raymond Choon-Chye Teo, Joan Khoo, Richard Yuan-Tud Chen, Ho-Heng Tian, and Chung-Sien Ng, “Comparing Effects of Low- and High-Volume Moderate-Intensity Exercise on Sexual Function and Testosterone in Obese Men,” Journal Of Sexual Medicine, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1823–1832, 2013.
- Ling Wang, Wei Wang, Li Xu, Xiaoguang Cheng, Yimin Ma, Dan Liu, Zhe Guo, Yongbin Su, and Qianqian Wang, “Relation of Visceral and Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue to Bone Mineral Density in Chinese Women,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–5, 2013.
- Alexander E. Omu, “Sperm Parameters: Paradigmatic Index of Good Health and Longevity,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 22, pp. 30–42, 2013.
- D. Francomano, R. Bruzziches, G. Barbaro, A. Lenzi, and A. Aversa, “Effects of testosterone undecanoate replacement and withdrawal on cardio-metabolic, hormonal and body composition outcomes in severely obese hypogonadal men: a pilot study,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, 2014.
- Ying Bai, Jin-Ming Huang, Gang Liu, Ji-Bin Zhang, Jian-Ying Wang, Cheng-Kun Liu, and Mei-Ying Fang, “A comprehensive microRNA expression profile of the backfat tissue from castrated and intact full-sib pair male pigs,” Bmc Genomics, vol. 15, 2014.
- Jian Zhao, Lingling Zhai, Zheng Liu, Shuang Wu, and Liping Xu, “Leptin Level and Oxidative Stress Contribute to Obesity-Induced Low Testosterone in Murine Testicular Tissue,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2014, pp. 1–14, 2014.
- Daniel G. Donner, Grace E. Elliott, Belinda R. Beck, Andrew C. Bulmer, and Eugene F. Du Toit, “Impact of Diet-Induced Obesity and Testosterone Deficiency on the Cardiovascular System: A Novel Rodent Model Representative of Males with Testosteron,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 9, 2015.
- Guillaume E. Beranger, Mansour Djedaini, SÃ©verine Battaglia, Christian H. Roux, Marcel Scheideler, Dominique Heymann, Ez-Zoubir Amri, and Didier F. Pisani, “Oxytocin Reverses Osteoporosis in a Sex-Dependent Manner,” Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol. 6, 2015.
- James E Clark, “Diet, exercise or diet with exercise: comparing the effectiveness of treatment options for weight-loss and changes in fitness for adults (18–65 years old) who are overfat, or obese; systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 14, no. 1, 2015.
- Zheng-mei Lv, Qi Wang, Yuan-hua Chen, Sheng-hua Wang, and Dao-qi Huang, “Resveratrol attenuates inflammation and oxidative stress in epididymal white adipose tissue: Implications for its involvement in improving steroidogenesis in diet-induced obese mice,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, 2015.
- Abdulmaged M. Traish, and Michael Zitzmann, “The complex and multifactorial relationship between testosterone deficiency (TD), obesity and vascular disease,” Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders, 2015.
- Z. Guo, X. Yan, L. Wang, J. Wu, X. Jing, and J. Liu, “Effect of Telmisartan or Insulin on the Expression of Adiponectin and its Receptors in the Testis of Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats,” Hormone And Metabolic Research, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 404–412, 2016.
- Saranyapin Potikanond, Pinyada Rattanachote, Hiranya Pintana, Panan Suntornsaratoon, Narattaphol Charoenphandhu, Nipon Chattipakorn, and Siriporn Chattipakorn, “Obesity does not aggravate osteoporosis or osteoblastic insulin resistance in orchiectomized rats,” Journal Of Endocrinology, vol. 228, no. 2, pp. 85–95, 2016.
- Daniel G. Donner, Grace E. Elliott, Belinda R. Beck, Andrew C. Bulmer, Alfred K. Lam, John P. Headrick, and Eugene F. Du Toit, “Trenbolone Improves Cardiometabolic Risk Factors and Myocardial Tolerance to Ischemia-Reperfusion in Male Rats With Testosterone-Deficient Metabolic S,” Endocrinology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 368–381, 2016.