- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Endocrinology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 128735, 10 pages
Expression of miRNAs in Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas Is Associated with BRAF Mutation and Clinicopathological Features in Chinese Patients
1Department of Endocrinology, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, 58 Zhongshan Road 2, Guangzhou 510080, China
2Department of Pathology, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, 58 Zhongshan Road 2, Guangzhou 510080, China
3Department of Breast Surgery, Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat-sen University, 107 Yanjiang West Road, Guangzhou 510120, China
Received 23 January 2013; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 11 March 2013
Academic Editor: Haggi Mazeh
Copyright © 2013 Yun Sun et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Sipos and E. L. Mazzaferri, “Thyroid cancer epidemiology and prognostic variables,” Clinical Oncology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 395–404, 2010.
- J. Lukas, J. Drabek, D. Lukas, et al., “The epidemiology of thyroid cancer in the Czech Republic in comparison with other countries,” Biomedical papers of the Medical Faculty of the University Palacký, Olomouc, Czechoslovakia, 2012.
- S. Liu, R. Semenciw, A. M. Ugnat, and Y. Mao, “Increasing thyroid cancer incidence in Canada, 1970–1996: time trends and age-period-cohort effects,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 1335–1339, 2001.
- J. R. Burgess, “Temporal trends for thyroid carcinoma in Australia: an increasing incidence of papillary thyroid carcinoma (1982–1997),” Thyroid, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 141–149, 2002.
- J. R. Burgess and P. Tucker, “Incidence trends for papillary thyroid carcinoma and their correlation with thyroid surgery and thyroid fine-needle aspirate cytology,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2006.
- A. Lubina, O. Cohen, M. Barchana et al., “Time trends of incidence rates of thyroid cancer in Israel: what might explain the sharp increase,” Thyroid, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1033–1040, 2006.
- M. Colonna, P. Grosclaude, L. Remontet et al., “Incidence of thyroid cancer in adults recorded by French cancer registries (1978–1997),” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 38, no. 13, pp. 1762–1768, 2002.
- L. Leenhardt, P. Grosclaude, and L. Chérié-Challine, “Increased incidence of thyroid carcinoma in france: a true epidemic or thyroid nodule management effects? Report from the french thyroid cancer committee,” Thyroid, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1056–1060, 2004.
- L. Davies and H. G. Welch, “Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973–2002,” JAMA, vol. 295, no. 18, pp. 2164–2167.
- S. A. Hundahl, I. D. Fleming, A. M. Fremgen, et al., “A National Cancer Data Base report on 53,856 cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the U.S. 1985–1995,” Cancer, vol. 83, no. 12, pp. 2638–2648, 1998.
- M. Xing, “BRAF mutation in thyroid cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 245–262, 2005.
- M. Xing, “BRAF mutation in papillary thyroid cancer: pathogenic role, molecular bases, and clinical implications,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 742–762, 2007.
- X. Li, A. B. Abdel-Mageed, and E. Kandil, “BRAF mutation in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 310–315, 2012.
- M. Xing, W. H. Westra, R. P. Tufano, et al., “BRAF mutation predicts a poorer clinical prognosis for papillary thyroid cancer,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 6373–6379, 2005.
- C. Lupi, R. Giannini, C. Ugolini et al., “Extensive clinical experience: association of BRAF V600E mutation with poor clinicopathological outcomes in 500 consecutive cases of papillary thyroid carcinoma,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 4085–4090, 2007.
- S. J. Kim, K. E. Lee, J. P. Myong, et al., “BRAFV600E mutation is associated with tumor aggressiveness in papillary thyroid cancer,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 310–317, 2012.
- A. Esquela-Kerscher and F. J. Slack, “Oncomirs-microRNAs with a role in cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 259–269, 2006.
- P. Pallante, R. Visone, M. Ferracin et al., “MicroRNA deregulation in human thyroid papillary carcinomas,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 497–508, 2006.
- H. He, K. Jazdzewski, W. Li et al., “The role of microRNA genes in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 52, pp. 19075–19080, 2005.
- M. T. Tetzlaff, A. Liu, X. Xu et al., “Differential expression of miRNAs in papillary thyroid carcinoma compared to multinodular goiter using formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissues,” Endocrine Pathology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 163–173, 2007.
- F. Weber, R. E. Teresi, C. E. Broelsch, A. Frilling, and C. Eng, “A limited set of human MicroRNA is deregulated in follicular thyroid carcinoma,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 9, pp. 3584–3591, 2006.
- L. Lodewijk, A. M. Prins, J. W. Kist, et al., “The value of miRNA in diagnosing thyroid cancer: a systematic review,” Cancer Biomark, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 229–238, 2012.
- M. Xing, R. P. Tufano, A. P. Tufaro et al., “Detection of BRAF mutation on fine needle aspiration biopsy specimens: a new diagnostic tool for papillary thyroid cancer,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 2867–2872, 2004.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- R. Bakhos, S. M. Selvaggi, S. DeJong, et al., “Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid: rate and causes of cytopathologic discordance,” Diagnostic Cytopathology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 233–237, 2013.
- J. Y. Sung, D. G. Na, K. S. Kim, et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of fine-needle aspiration versus core-needle biopsy for the diagnosis of thyroid malignancy in a clinical cohort,” European Radiology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1564–1572, 2012.
- M. N. Nikiforova, E. T. Kimura, M. Gandhi et al., “BRAF mutations in thyroid tumors are restricted to papillary carcinomas and anaplastic or poorly differentiated carcinomas arising from papillary carcinomas,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 11, pp. 5399–5404, 2003.
- H. Namba, M. Nakashima, T. Hayashi, et al., “Clinical implication of hot spot BRAF mutation V599E, in papillary thyroid cancers,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 4393–4397, 2003.
- C. K. Chou, R. F. Chen, F. F. Chou et al., “MiR-146b is highly expressed in adult papillary thyroid carcinomas with high risk features including extrathyroidal invasion and the BRAF V600E mutation,” Thyroid, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 489–494, 2010.
- L. Yip, L. Kelly, Y. Shuai, et al., “MicroRNA Signature Distinguishes the Degree of Aggressiveness of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 2035–2041, 2011.
- S. Y. Sheu, F. Grabellus, S. Schwertheim, S. Handke, K. Worm, and K. W. Schmid, “Lack of correlation between BRAF V600E mutational status and the expression profile of a distinct set of miRNAs in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 482–487, 2009.
- T. E. Miller, K. Ghoshal, B. Ramaswamy et al., “MicroRNA-221/222 confers tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer by targeting p27Kip1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 44, pp. 29897–29903, 2008.
- S. O. Yoon, S. M. Chun, E. H. Han, et al., “Deregulated expression of microRNA-221 with the potential for prognostic biomarkers in surgically resected hepatocellular carcinoma,” Human Pathology, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 1391–1400, 2011.
- E. J. Lee, Y. Gusev, J. Jiang, et al., “Expression profiling identifies microRNA signature in pancreatic cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 1046–1054, 2007.
- R. Visone, L. Russo, P. Pallante et al., “MicroRNAs (miR)-221 and miR-222, both overexpressed in human thyroid papillary carcinomas, regulate p27Kip1 protein levels and cell cycle,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 791–798, 2007.
- L. X. Yan, X. F. Huang, Q. Shao et al., “MicroRNA miR-21 overexpression in human breast cancer is associated with advanced clinical stage, lymph node metastasis and patient poor prognosis,” RNA, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 2348–2360, 2008.
- G. Nakajima, K. Hayashi, Y. Xi et al., “Non-coding microRNAs hsa-let-7g and hsa-miR-181b are associated with chemoresponse to S-1 in colon cancer,” Cancer Genomics and Proteomics, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 317–324, 2006.
- L. Shi, Z. Cheng, J. Zhang et al., “hsa-mir-181a and hsa-mir-181b function as tumor suppressors in human glioma cells,” Brain Research, vol. 1236, no. C, pp. 185–193, 2008.
- G. A. Calin, Y. Pekarsky, and C. M. Croce, “The role of microRNA and other non-coding RNA in the pathogenesis of chronic lymphocytic leukemia,” Best Practice and Research in Clinical Haematology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 425–437, 2007.
- F. Meng, S. S. Glaser, H. Francis, et al., “Functional Analysis of microRNAs in Human Hepatocellular Cancer Stem Cells,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 160–173, 2012.
- Y. T. Chen, N. Kitabayashi, X. K. Zhou, et al., “MicroRNA analysis as a potential diagnostic tool for papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1139–1146, 2008.
- C. K. Chou, K. D. Yang, F. F. Chou, et al., “Prognostic implications of miR-146b expression and its functional role in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 196–205, 2013.