- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Food Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 576153, 12 pages
Development of Low-Fat Soft Dough Biscuits Using Carbohydrate-Based Fat Replacers
1Department of Food Science & Technology, G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Uttarakhand, Pantnagar 263145, India
2Department of Post Harvest Process and Food Engineering, G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Uttarakhand, Pantnagar 263145, India
Received 8 January 2013; Revised 14 March 2013; Accepted 25 March 2013
Academic Editor: Marie Walsh
Copyright © 2013 Bhawna Chugh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. O'brien, Fats and Oils: Formulating and Processing for Applications, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2003.
- C. A. Hassell, “Nutritional implications of fat substitutes,” Cereal Foods World, vol. 38, pp. 142–144, 1993.
- C. C. Akoh, “Fat replacers,” Food Technology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 47–53, 1998.
- A. M. Altschul, “Low-calorie foods—a scientific status summary by the Institute of Food Technologists expert panel on food safety and nutrition,” Food Technology, vol. 43, no. 4, p. 113, 1989.
- G. E. Inglett, K. Warner, and R. K. Newman, “Sensory and nutritional evaluations of oatrim,” Cereal Foods World, vol. 39, pp. 755–759, 1994.
- F. D. Conforti, S. A. Charles, and S. E. Dunkan, “Sensory evaluation and consumer acceptance of carbohydrate-based fat replacers in biscuits,” Journal of Consumer Studies and Home Economics, vol. 20, pp. 285–296, 1996.
- E. I. Zoulias, V. Oreopoulou, and E. Kounalaki, “Effect of fat and sugar replacement on cookie properties,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 82, no. 14, pp. 1637–1644, 2002.
- E. Gallagher, C. M. O'Brien, A. G. M. Scannell, and E. K. Arendt, “Use of response surface methodology to produce functional short dough biscuits,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 56, no. 2-3, pp. 269–271, 2003.
- M. L. Sudha, A. K. Srivastava, R. Vetrimani, and K. Leelavathi, “Fat replacement in soft dough biscuits: its implications on dough rheology and biscuit quality,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 922–930, 2007.
- D. Manley, Technology of Biscuits, Crackers and Cookies, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 1996.
- K. Wehrle, E. Gallagher, D. P. Neville, M. K. Keogh, and E. K. Arendt, “Microencapsulated high-fat powders in biscuit production,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 208, no. 5-6, pp. 388–393, 1999.
- R. S. Manohar and P. H. Rao, “Effect of emulsifiers, fat level and type on the rheological characteristics of biscuit dough and quality of biscuits,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 79, no. 10, pp. 1223–1231, 1999.
- J. L. Vetter, “Calorie and fat modified bakery products,” American Institute of Baking. Research Department Technical Bulletin, vol. 13, no. 5, 1991.
- Z. Maache-Rezzoug, J. M. Bouvier, K. Allaf, and C. Patras, “Effect of principal ingredients on rheological behaviour of biscuit dough and on quality of biscuits,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 23–42, 1998.
- A. I. Khuri and J. A. Cornell, Response Surfaces, Designs and Analysis, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- P. R. Whitley, Biscuit Manufacture, Applied Science Publisher, London, UK, 1970.
- AACC, Approved Methods of American Association of Cereal Chemists, Cereal Laboratory Methods., St. Paul. Minn, USA, 1967.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA, 10th edition, 1984.
- E. Larmond, Laboratory Methods for Sensory Evaluation of Foods, Canada Department of Agriculture, Ottawa, Canada, 1937.
- B. Pareyt, F. Talhaoui, G. Kerckhofs et al., “The role of sugar and fat in sugar-snap cookies: structural and textural properties,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 400–408, 2009.
- K. F. Finney, W. T. Yamazaki, and V. H. Morris, “Effects of varying quantities of sugar, shortening and ammonium bicarbonate on the spreading and top grain of sugar-snap cookies,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 27, pp. 30–41, 1950.
- H. Mamat, M. O. Abu Hardan, and S. E. Hill, “Physicochemical properties of commercial semi-sweet biscuit,” Food Chemistry, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 1029–1038, 2010.
- C. S. Gaines, “Instrumental measurement of the hardness of cookies and crackers,” Cereal Foods World, vol. 36, pp. 989–996, 1991.
- J. C. Jackson, M. C. Bourne, and J. Barnard, “Optimization of blanching for crispness of banana chips using response surface methodology,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 165–166, 1996.
- E. I. Zoulias, V. Oreopoulou, and C. Tzia, “Textural properties of low-fat cookies containing carbohydrate- or protein-based fat replacers,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 337–342, 2002.
- C. Sanchez, C. F. Klopfenstein, and C. E. Walker, “Use of carbohydrate-based fat substitutes and emulsifying agents in reduced-fat shortbread cookies,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 25–29, 1995.
- A. Goldstein and K. Seetharaman, “Effect of a novel monoglyceride stabilized oil in water emulsion shortening on cookie properties,” Food Research International, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1476–1481, 2011.