- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Genomics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 832756, 8 pages
Comparative Genomics of Cryptosporidium
1Department of Microbiology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
2Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284-2030, USA
3Laboratory for Molecular and Computational Genomics, Department of Chemistry, Laboratory of Genetics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Received 24 January 2013; Accepted 10 April 2013
Academic Editor: Elena Pasyukova
Copyright © 2013 Aurélien J. Mazurie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Fayer, “Cryptosporidium: a water-borne zoonotic parasite,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 126, no. 1-2, pp. 37–56, 2004.
- R. C. A. Thompson, C. S. Palmer, and R. O’Handley, “The public health and clinical significance of giardia and cryptosporidium in domestic animals,” The Veterinary Journal, vol. 177, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2008.
- F. Leoni, C. Amar, G. Nichols, S. Pedraza Díaz, and J. McLauchlin, “Genetic analysis of Cryptosporidium from 2414 humans with diarrhoea in England between 1985 and 2000,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 55, part 6, pp. 703–707, 2006.
- M. M. Peng, L. Xiao, A. R. Freeman et al., “Genetic polymorphism among Cryptosporidium parvum isolates: evidence of two distinct human transmission cycles,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 567–573, 1997.
- P. R. Hunter and R. C. A. Thompson, “The zoonotic transmission of Giardia and Cryptosporidium,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 11-12, pp. 1181–1190, 2005.
- U. M. Morgan-Ryan, A. Fall, L. A. Ward et al., “Cryptosporidium hominis n. sp. (Apicomplexa: Cryptosporidiidae) from Homo sapiens,” Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 433–440, 2002.
- A. Hashim, G. Mulcahy, B. Bourke, and M. Clyne, “Interaction of Cryptosporidium hominis and Cryptosporidium parvum with primary human and bovine intestinal cells,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2006.
- L. Xiao, R. Fayer, U. Ryan, and S. J. Upton, “Cryptosporidium taxonomy: recent advances and implications for public health,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 72–97, 2004.
- P. Xu, G. Widmer, Y. Wang et al., “The genome of Cryptosporidium hominis,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7012, pp. 1107–1112, 2004.
- M. S. Abrahamsen, T. J. Templeton, S. Enomoto et al., “Complete genome sequence of the apicomplexan, Cryptosporidium parvum,” Science, vol. 304, no. 5669, pp. 441–445, 2004.
- S. F. Altschul, T. L. Madden, A. A. Schäffer et al., “Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3389–3402, 1997.
- A. Pain, H. Renauld, M. Berriman et al., “Genome of the host-cell transforming parasite Theileria annulata compared with T. parva,” Science, vol. 309, no. 5731, pp. 131–133, 2005.
- D. Arasappan, A. Mazurie, J. Alves, D. Bonchev, and G. A. Buck, “Path-a-way: a strategy for network analysis of microarray data,” in Proceedings of the BioMedical Engineering and Informatics: New Development and the Future (BMEI '08), pp. 432–436, May 2008.
- G. Buck, A. Mazurie, S. Roberts et al., “Recent progress in computational sciences and engineering,” in Genomes to Networks, Pathways and Function, vol. 7 of Lecture Series on Computer and Computational Sciences, pp. 758–763, Brill Academic, 2006.
- M. J. Gardner, R. Bishop, T. Shah et al., “Genome sequence of Theileria parva, a bovine pathogen that transforms lymphocytes,” Science, vol. 309, no. 5731, pp. 134–137, 2005.
- G. Zhu, Y. Li, X. Cai, J. J. Millership, M. J. Marchewka, and J. S. Keithly, “Expression and functional characterization of a giant Type I fatty acid synthase (CpFAS1) gene from Cryptosporidium parvum,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 127–135, 2004.
- D. Puiu, S. Enomoto, G. A. Buck, M. S. Abrahamsen, and J. C. Kissinger, “CryptoDB: the Cryptosporidium genome resource,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, supplement 1, pp. D329–D331, 2004.
- C. Aston, B. Mishra, and D. C. Schwartz, “Optical mapping and its potential for large-scale sequencing projects,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 297–302, 1999.
- S. Zhou, W. Deng, T. S. Anantharaman et al., “A whole-genome shotgun optical map of Yersinia pestis strain KIM,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 6321–6331, 2002.
- S. Zhou, A. Kile, M. Bechner et al., “Single-molecule approach to bacterial genomic comparisons via optical mapping,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 186, no. 22, pp. 7773–7782, 2004.
- S. Zhou, A. Kile, E. Kvikstad et al., “Shotgun optical mapping of the entire Leishmania major Friedlin genome,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 97–106, 2004.
- E. T. Dimalanta, A. Lim, R. Runnheim et al., “A microfluidic system for large DNA molecule arrays,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 76, no. 18, pp. 5293–5301, 2004.
- S. Reslewic, S. Zhou, M. Place et al., “Whole-genome shotgun optical mapping of Rhodospirillum rubrum,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 5511–5522, 2005.
- B. Valouev, D. C. Schwartz, S. Zhou, and M. S. Waterman, “An algorithm for assembly of ordered restriction maps from single dna molecules,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 43, pp. 15770–15775, 2006.
- S. Zhou, M. C. Bechner, M. Place et al., “Validation of rice genome sequence by optical mapping,” BMC Genomics, vol. 8, article 278, 2007.
- S. Zhou, J. Herschleb, and D. Schwartz, “A single molecule system for whole genome analysis,” in New High Throughput Technologies for DNA Sequencing and Genomics, vol. 2, pp. 265–300, Elsevier Scientific, 2007.
- T. S. Anantharaman, B. Mishra, and D. C. Schwartz, “Genomics via optical mapping II: ordered restriction maps,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 91–118, 1997.
- T. Anantharaman, B. Mishra, and D. Schwartz, “Genomics via optical mapping. III: contiging genomic DNA,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, pp. 18–27, 1999.
- A. Valouev, L. Li, Y.-C. Liu et al., “Alignment of optical maps,” Journal of Computational Biology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 442–462, 2006.
- C. Aurrecoechea, J. Brestelli, B. P. Brunk et al., “PlasmoDB: a functional genomic database for malaria parasites,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. D539–D543, 2009.
- L. Li, C. J. Stoeckert, and D. S. Roos, “OrthoMCL: identification of ortholog groups for eukaryotic genomes,” Genome Research, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 2178–2189, 2003.
- M. Remm, C. E. Storm, and E. L. Sonnhammer, “Automatic clustering of orthologs and in-paralogs from pairwise species comparisons,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 314, no. 5, pp. 1041–1052, 2001.
- M. Kanehisa, S. Goto, M. Hattori et al., “From genomics to chemical genomics: new developments in KEGG,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 34, pp. D354–D357, 2006.
- W. R. Pearson and D. J. Lipman, “Improved tools for biological sequence comparison,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 85, no. 8, pp. 2444–2448, 1988.
- Z. Yang and R. Nielsen, “Estimating synonymous and nonsynonymous substitution rates under realistic evolutionary models,” Molecular Biology and Evolution, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 32–43, 2000.
- Z. Yang, “PAML: a program package for phylogenetic analysis by maximum likelihood,” Computer Applications in the Biosciences, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 555–556, 1997.
- A. Krogh, B. Larsson, G. Von Heijne, and E. L. L. Sonnhammer, “Predicting transmembrane protein topology with a hidden Markov model: application to complete genomes,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 305, no. 3, pp. 567–580, 2001.
- N. Fankhauser and P. Mäser, “Identification of GPI anchor attachment signals by a Kohonen self-organizing map,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1846–1852, 2005.
- J. D. Bendtsen, H. Nielsen, G. von Heijne, and S. Brunak, “Improved prediction of signal peptides: signalP 3.0,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 340, no. 4, pp. 783–795, 2004.