- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Microbiology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 863945, 13 pages
Bacteriophages and Their Role in Food Safety
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering (IBB), Centre for Biological Engineering, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Received 23 August 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editor: Beatriz Martinez
Copyright © 2012 Sanna M. Sillankorva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [32 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Michele Masulli, Mikhail F. Alexeyev, and Carmine Di Ilio, “Escherichia coli in Europe: An Overview,” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 6235–6254, 2013.
- Alexander Sulakvelidze, “Using lytic bacteriophages to eliminate or significantly reduce contamination of food by foodborne bacterial pathogens,” Journal Of The Science Of Food And Agriculture, vol. 93, no. 13, pp. 3137–3146, 2013.
- Meng Li, Hong Lin, Muhammad Naseem Khan, Jingxue Wang, and Linghong Kong, “Effects of bacteriophage on the quality and shelf life of Paralichthys olivaceus during chilled storage,” Journal of The Science of Food and Agriculture, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 1657–1662, 2014.
- James Robeson, Gabriel Turra, Karen Huber, and Consuelo Borie, “A note on stability in food matrices of Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis-controlling bacteriophages,” Electronic Journal of Biotechnology, 2014.
- Reza Abbasifar, Andrew M. Kropinski, Parviz M. Sabour, James R. Chambers, Joanne MacKinnon, Thomas Malig, and Mansel W. Griffiths, “Efficiency of bacteriophage therapy against Cronobacter sakazakii in Galleria mellonella (greater wax moth) larvae,” Archives of Virology, 2014.
- Sabah A. A. Jassim, and Richard G. Limoges, “Natural solution to antibiotic resistance: bacteriophages ‘The Living Drugs’,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2014.
- F. Cappitelli, A. Polo, and F. Villa, “Biofilm Formation in Food Processing Environments is Still Poorly Understood and Controlled,” Food Engineering Reviews, 2014.
- Lorraine Endersen, Jim O'Mahony, Colin Hill, R. Paul Ross, Olivia McAuliffe, and Aidan Coffey, “Phage Therapy in the Food Industry,” Annual Review of Food Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 327–349, 2014.
- M. Żaczek, B. Weber-Dąbrowska, and A. Górski, “Phages in the global fruit and vegetable industry,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2014.
- Hugo Oliveira, Sanna Sillankorva, Maia Merabishvili, Leon D. Kluskens, and Joana Azeredo, “Unexploited opportunities for phage therapy,” Frontiers in Pharmacology, vol. 6, 2015.
- Anna Choińska, Paweł Mituła, Paulina Śliwka, Wojciech Łaba, and Aneta Kurzępa-Skaradzińska, “Bacteriophage encapsulation: trends and potential applications,” Trends in Food Science & Technology, 2015.
- Zachary R. Stromberg, Nicholas W. Baumann, Gentry L. Lewis, Nicholas J. Sevart, Natalia Cernicchiaro, David G. Renter, David B. Marx, Randall K. Phebus, and Rodney A. Moxley, “Prevalence of Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O26, O45, O103, O111, O121, O145, and O157 on Hides and Preintervention Carcass Surfaces of Feedlot C,” Foodborne Pathogens And Disease, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 631–638, 2015.
- Jason R Clark, “Bacteriophage therapy: history and future prospects,” Future Virology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 449–461, 2015.
- Elias A. Rahal, Sukayna M. Fadlallah, Farah J. Nassar, Natalie Kazzi, and Ghassan M. Matar, “Approaches to treatment of emerging Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections highlighting the O104:H4 serotype,” Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology, vol. 5, 2015.
- Dieter Vandenheuvel, Rob Lavigne, and Harald Brüssow, “Bacteriophage Therapy: Advances in Formulation Strategies and Human Clinical Trials,” Annual Review of Virology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 599–618, 2015.
- Meng Li, Mengzhe Li, Hong Lin, Jingxue Wang, Yanqiu Jin, and Feng Han, “Characterization of the novel T4-like Salmonella enterica bacteriophage STP4-a and its endolysin,” Archives of Virology, 2015.
- Mustafa Kazi, and Uday S. Annapure, “Bacteriophage biocontrol of foodborne pathogens,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, 2015.
- A. E. Patteson, A. Gopinath, M. Goulian, and P. E. Arratia, “Running and tumbling with E. coli in polymeric solutions,” Scientific Reports, vol. 5, pp. 15761, 2015.
- Haeng Mi Byeon, Vitaly J. Vodyanoy, Jun-Hyun Oh, Joong-Ho Kwon, and Mi-Kyung Park, “Lytic Phage-Based Magnetoelastic Biosensors for On-site Detection of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus on Spinach Leaves,” Journal Of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 162, no. 8, pp. B230–B235, 2015.
- F.G. Echeverrigaray, S. Echeverrigaray, A.P.L. Delamare, C.H. Wanke, C.A. Figueroa, I.J.R. Baumvol, and C. Aguzzoli, “Antibacterial properties obtained by low-energy silver implantation in stainless steel surfaces,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 2016.
- Hugo Oliveira, Graça Pinto, Ana Oliveira, Carla Oliveira, Maria Alberta Faustino, Yves Briers, Lucília Domingues, and Joana Azeredo, “Characterization and genome sequencing of a Citrobacter freundii phage CfP1 harboring a lysin active against multidrug-resistant isolates,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2016.
- Yannan Liu, Zhiqiang Mi, Wenkai Niu, Xiaoping An, Xin Yuan, Huiying Liu, Yong Wang, Yuzhong Feng, Yong Huang, Xianglilan Zhang, Zhiyi Zhang, Hang Fan, Fan Peng, Puyuan Li, Yigang Tong, and Changqing Bai, “ Potential of a lytic bacteriophage to disrupt Acinetobacter baumannii biofilms in vitro ,” Future Microbiology, 2016.
- Filomena Silva, Fernanda C. Domingues, and Cristina Nerín, “Trends in microbial control techniques for poultry products,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, pp. 00–00, 2016.
- Carol A. Phillips, “Bacterial biofilms in food processing environments: a review of recent developments in chemical and biological control,” International Journal of Food Science & Technology, 2016.
- Diana Gutiérrez, Lorena Rodríguez-Rubio, Pilar García, Craig Billington, Aruni Premarante, Ana Rodríguez, and Beatriz Martínez, “Phage sensitivity and prophage carriage in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from foods in Spain and New Zealand,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2016.
- Victor Ladero, Carolina Gómez-Sordo, Esther Sánchez-Llana, Beatriz del Rio, Begoña Redruello, María Fernández, M. Cruz Martín, and Miguel A. Alvarez, “Q69 (an E. faecalis-Infecting Bacteriophage) As a Biocontrol Agent for Reducing Tyramine in Dairy Products,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Jina Seo, Dong Joo Seo, Hyejin Oh, Su Been Jeon, Mi-Hwa Oh, and Changsun Choi, “Inhibiting the Growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Beef, Pork, and Chicken Meat using a Bacteriophage,” Korean Journal For Food Science Of Animal Resources, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 186–193, 2016.
- Sabah A. A. Jassim, Richard G. Limoges, and Hassan El-Cheikh, “Bacteriophage biocontrol in wastewater treatment,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 32, no. 4, 2016.
- Rishi Pabary, Charanjit Singh, Sandra Morales, Andrew Bush, Khalid Alshafi, Diana Bilton, Eric W. F. W. Alton, Anthony Smithyman, and Jane C. Davies, “Antipseudomonal Bacteriophage Reduces Infective Burden and Inflammatory Response in Murine Lung,” Antimicrobial Agents And Chemotherapy, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 744–751, 2016.
- Adebola O. Oladunjoye, Stanley A. Oyewole, S. Singh, and Oluwatosin A. Ijabadeniyi, “Prediction of Listeria monocytogenes ATCC 7644 growth on fresh-cut produce treated with bacteriophage and sucrose monolaurate by using artificial neural network,” LWT - Food Science and Technology, 2016.
- N. Galarce, B. Escobar, V. Rojas, C. Navarro, G. Turra, J. Robeson, and C. Borie, “ Application of a virulent bacteriophage cocktail leads to reduction of Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis counts in processed meat products ,” Biocontrol Science and Technology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 462–475, 2016.
- Leon Cantas, Kaya Suer, Emrah Guler, and Turgut Imir, “High Emergence of ESBL-Producing E. coli Cystitis: Time to Get Smarter in Cyprus,” Frontiers in Microbiology, vol. 6, 2016.