Light-harvesting J-aggregatesView this Special Issue
A. Pugzlys, P. R. Hania, R. Augulis, K. Duppen, P. H. M. van Loosdrecht, "Cylindrical aggregates of 5,5',6,6'-tetrachlorobenzimida-carbocyanine amphiphilic derivatives: Structure-related optical properties and exciton dynamics", International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2006, Article ID 029623, 9 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJP/2006/29623
Cylindrical aggregates of 5,5',6,6'-tetrachlorobenzimida-carbocyanine amphiphilic derivatives: Structure-related optical properties and exciton dynamics
The static and time-resolved optical response of -tetrachlorobenzimidacarbocyanine chromophore-based tubular double-wall molecular aggregates is studied. The linear dichroism and absorption spectra have the same basic structure for all aggregates investigated essentially showing a set of narrow and highly polarized bands originating from inner and outer wall excitations. The exact positions and strengths of absorption bands are influenced by the choice of side groups and various additives. Time-resolved fluorescence measurements show a substantial speeding of the fluorescence decay upon aggregation, mainly resulting from collective effects. Pump-probe experiments evidence slow inner-to-outer and fast outer-to-inner wall energy transfers between the walls of the tubules.
- G. Scheibe, “Über die Veränderlichkeit des Absorptionsspektrums einiger Sensibilisierungsfarbstoffe und deren Ursache,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 49, p. 563, 1936.
- G. Scheibe, “Über die Veränderlichkeit der Absorptionsspektren in Lösungen und die Nebenvalenzen als ihre Ursache,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 212–219, 1937.
- E. E. Jelley, “Spectral absortion and fluorescence of dyes in the molecular state,” Nature (London), vol. 138, p. 1009, 1936.
- E. E. Jelley, “Molecular, nematic and crystal states of 1,1-Diethyl-c-cyaninechloride,” Nature (London), vol. 139, p. 631, 1937.
- A. Mishra, R. K. Behera, P. K. Behera, B. K. Mishra, and G. B. Behera, “Cyanines during the 1990s: a review,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 1973–2011, 2000.
- F. Würthner, R. Wortmann, and K. Meerholz, “Chromophore design for photorefractive organic materials,” ChemPhysChem, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 17–31, 2002.
- T. Kobayashi, J-Aggregates, World Scientific, Singapore, Singapore, 1996.
- V. I. Prokhorenko, D. B. Steensgaard, and A. R. Holzwarth, “Exciton dynamics in the chlorosomal antennae of the green bacteria Chloroflexus aurantiacus and Chlorobium tepidum,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 2105–2120, 2000.
- S. Karrasch, P. A. Bullough, and R. Ghosh, “The 8.5 Å projection map of the light-harvesting complex I from Rhodospirillum rubrum reveals a ring composed of 16 subunits,” EMBO Journal, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 631–638, 1995.
- G. McDermott, S. M. Prince, A. A. Freer et al., “Crystal structure of an integral membrane light-harvesting complex from photosynthetic bacteria,” Nature, vol. 374, no. 6522, pp. 517–521, 1995.
- A. Pawlik, A. Ouart, S. Kirstein, H.-W. Abraham, and S. Dähne, “Synthesis and UV/Vis spectra of J-aggregating -tetrachlorobenzimidacarbocyanine dyes for artificial light-harvesting systems and for asymmetrical generation of supramolecular helices,” European Journal of Organic Chemistry, no. 16, pp. 3065–3080, 2003.
- H. Von Berlepsch, C. Böttcher, A. Ouart, C. Burger, S. Dähne, and S. Kirstein, “Supramolecular structures of J-aggregates of carbocyanine dyes in solution,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 22, pp. 5255–5262, 2000.
- C. Spitz and S. Dähne, “Architecture of J-aggregates studied by pressure-dependent absorption and fluorescence measurements,” Berichte der Bunsengesellschaft/Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 738–744, 1998.
- M. van Burgel, D. A. Wiersma, and K. Duppen, “The dynamics of one-dimensional excitons in liquids,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 20–33, 1995.
- H. Von Berlepsch, S. Kirstein, P. R. Hania, C. Didraga, A. Pugzlys, and C. Böttcher, “Stabilization of individual tubular J-aggregates by poly(vinyl alcohol),” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 51, pp. 14176–14184, 2003.
- H. Von Berlepsch, M. Regenbrecht, S. Dähne, S. Kirstein, and C. Böttcher, “Surfactant-induced separation of stacked J-aggregates. Cryo-transmission electron microscopy studies reveal bilayer ribbons,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 2901–2907, 2002.
- H. Von Berlepsch, C. Böttcher, A. Ouart et al., “Surfactant-induced changes of morphology of J-aggregates: superhelix-to-tubule transformation,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 5908–5916, 2000.
- H. Von Berlepsch, S. Kirstein, and C. Böttcher, “Effect of alcohols on J-aggregation of a carbocyanine dye,” Langmuir, vol. 18, no. 20, pp. 7699–7705, 2002.
- C. Didraga, A. Pugzlys, P. R. Hania, H. Von Berlepsch, K. Duppen, and J. Knoester, “Structure, spectroscopy, and microscopic model of tubular carbocyanine dye aggregates,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 108, no. 39, pp. 14976–14985, 2004.
- A. Pugzlys, P. R. Hania, C. Didraga, J. Knoester, and K. Duppen, “Cylindrical aggregates of TDBC: linear and nonlinear optical properties versus morphology,” Diffusion and Defect Data Pt.B: Solid State Phenomena, vol. 97-98, pp. 201–206, 2004.
- S. S. Lampoura, C. Spitz, S. Dähne, J. Knoester, and K. Duppen, “The optical dynamics of excitons in cylindrical J-aggregates,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 3103–3111, 2002.
- H. Fidder, J. Knoester, and D. A. Wiersma, “Observation of the one-exciton to two-exciton transition in a J aggregate,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 6564–6566, 1993.
- M. Bednarz and J. Knoester, “The linear absorption and pump-probe spectra of cylindrical molecular aggregates,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 51, pp. 12913–12923, 2001.
- A. Pugzlys, P. R. Hania, C. Didraga, V. Malyshev, J. Knoester, and K. Duppen, “Ultrafast exciton transport in organic nanotubes,” Springer Series in Chemical Physics, vol. 79, pp. 879–881, 2004.
- P. R. Hania, In Ultrafast Laser and Spectroscopy Laboratory, pp. 155, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands 2005.
- R. F. Kubin and A. N. Fletcher, “Fluorescence quantum yields of some rhodamine dyes,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 455–462, 1982.
Copyright © 2006 A. Pugzlys et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.