Light-harvesting J-aggregatesView this Special Issue
C. Spitz, S. Daehne, "Low temperature exciton-exciton annihilation in amphi-PIPE J-aggregates", International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2006, Article ID 084950, 7 pages, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1155/IJP/2006/84950
Low temperature exciton-exciton annihilation in amphi-PIPE J-aggregates
The mobility of optically excited excitons on J-aggregates can be demonstrated by the phenomena of exciton-exciton annihilation. In this intensity-dependent process the collision of two excitons results in their annihilation and hence in a shortening of the mean excitation lifetime. By measuring the intensity-dependent fluorescent lifetime in contrast to the predicted immobilization of the excitons at low temperature we could prove the excellent mobility of the excitons at a temperature (4K), which is far below their expected freezing point.
- G. Mc Dermott, S. M. Prince, A. A. Freer et al., “Crystal structure of an integral membrane light-harvesting complex from photosynthetic bacteria,” Nature, vol. 374, pp. 517–521, 1995.
- G. Bach and S. Daehne, “Cyanine dyes and related compounds,” in RODDs Chemistry of Carbon Compounds, 2nd suppl., M. Sainsbury, Ed., vol. IV of Heterocyclic Compounds, pp. 383–482, Elsevier Scienec, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2nd edition, 1997.
- P. M. Borsenberger and D. C. Hoesterey, “Hole photogeneration in aggregate photoreceptors,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 4248–4251, 1980.
- C. Köenigstein and R. Bauer, “Charge separation in J-aggregates of covalently linked cyanine dye-viologen systems,” Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 535–539, 1994.
- U. De Rossi, J. Kriwanek, M. Lisk et al., “Control of the J-aggregation phenomenon by variation of the N-alkyl-substituents,” Journal fur praktische Chemie Chemiker-Zeitung, vol. 337, no. 1, pp. 203–208, 1995.
- A. Pawlik, S. Kirstein, U. De Rossi, and S. Daehne, “Structural conditions for spontaneous generation of optical activity in J-aggregates,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 29, pp. 5646–5651, 1997.
- C. Spitz, S. Daehne, A. Ouart, and H.-W. Abraham, “Proof of chirality of J-aggregates spontaneously and enantioselectively generated from achiral dyes,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 36, pp. 8664–8669, 2000.
- U. De Rossi, S. Daehne, S. C. Meskers, and H. P. Dekkers, “Spontane bildung von optischer Aktivität in J-aggregaten mit Davydov-aufspaltung,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 108, pp. 827–830, 1996.
- U. De Rossi, S. Daehne, S. C. Meskers, and H. P. Dekkers, “Spontaneous formation of chirality in J-aggregates showing Davydov splitting,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition in English, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 760–763, 1996.
- C. Spitz and S. Daehne, “Architecture of J-aggregates studied by pressure-dependent absorption and fluorescence measurements,” Berichte der Bunsen-Gesellschaft—Physical Chemistry, vol. 102, pp. 738–744, 1998.
- G. J. T. Tiddy, D. L. Mateer, A. P. Armerod, W. J. Harrision, and D. J. Edwards, “Highly ordered aggregates in dilute dye-water systems,” Langmuir, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 390–393, 1995.
- C. Spitz, J. Knoester, A. Ouart, and S. Daehne, “Polarized absorption and anomalous temperature dependence of fluorescence depolarization in cylindrical J-aggregates,” Chemical Physics, vol. 275, no. 1–3, pp. 271–284, 2002.
- H. von Berlepsch, C. Böettcher, A. Ouart, C. Burger, S. Daehne, and S. Kirstein, “Supramolecular structures of J-aggregates of carbocyanine dyes in solution,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 22, pp. 5255–5262, 2000.
- H. von Berlepsch, C. Böettcher, A. Ouart et al., “Surfactant-induced changes of morphology of J-aggregates: superhelix-to-tubule transformation,” Langmuir, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 5908–5916, 2000.
- S. Kirstein, H. von Berlepsch, C. Böettcher et al., “Chiral J-aggregates formed by achiral cyanine dyes,” Chemistry / Physical Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 146–150, 2000.
- M. Bednarz and J. Knoester, “The linear absorption and pump-probe spectra of cylindrical molecular aggregates,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 51, pp. 12913–12923, 2001.
- A. S. Davydov, Theory of Molecular Excitons, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1971.
- M. van Burgel, D. A. Wiersma, and K. Duppen, “The dynamics of one-dimensional excitons in liquids,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 20–33, 1995.
- S. de Boer and D. A. Wiersma, “Dephasing-induced damping of superradiant emission in J-aggregates,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 45–53, 1990.
- J. R. Durrant, J. Knoester, and D. A. Wiersma, “Local energetic disorder in molecular aggregates probed by the one-exciton to two-exciton transition,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 222, no. 5, pp. 450–456, 1994.
- J. Moll, S. Daehne, J. R. Durrant, and D. A. Wiersma, “Optical dynamics of excitons in J-aggregates of a carbocyanine dye,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 102, no. 16, pp. 6362–6370, 1995.
- K. Minoshima, M. Taiji, K. Misawa, and T. Kobayashi, “Femtosecond nonlinear optical dynamics of excitons in J-aggregates,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 218, no. 1-2, pp. 67–72, 1994.
- G. Scheibe, A. Schoentag, and F. Katheder, “Fluoreszenz und Energiefortleitung bei reversibel polymerisierten Farbstoffen,” Naturwissenschaften, vol. 27, no. 29, pp. 499–501, 1939.
- D. V. Brumbbaugh and A. A. Muenter, “Singlet exciton annihilation in the picosecond fluorescence decay of 1, -diethyl-2,-cyanine chloride dye J-aggregate,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 31-32, part 2, pp. 783–785, 1984.
- H. Stiel, S. Daehne, and K. Teuchner, “J-aggregates of pseudoisocyanine in solution: new data from nonlinear spectroscopy,” Journal of luminescence, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 351–357, 1988.
- V. Sundströem, T. Gillbro, R. A. Gadonas, and A. Piskarskas, “Annihilation of singlet excitons in J-aggregates of pseudoisocyanine (PIC) studied by pico- and subpicosecond spectroscopy,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 2754–2762, 1988.
- I. V. Ryzhov, G. G. Kozlov, V. A. Malyshev, and J. Knoester, “Low-temperature kinetics of exciton—exciton annihilation of weakly localized one-dimensional Frenkel excitons,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 114, no. 12, pp. 5322–5329, 2001.
- V. A. Malyshev, G. G. Kozlov, H. Glaeske, and K.-H. Feller, “Channels of the exciton—exciton annihilation in one-dimensional aggregates at low temperature,” Chemical Physics, vol. 254, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2000.
- I. G. Scheblykin, O. P. Varnavsky, M. M. Bataiev, O. Sliusarenko, M. Van der Auweraer, and A. G. Vitukhnovsky, “Non-coherent exciton migration in J-aggregates of the dye THIATS: exciton—exciton annihilation and fluorescence depolarization,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 298, no. 4–6, pp. 341–350, 1998.
- V. A. Malyshev and P. Moreno, “Mirrorless optical bistability of linear molecular aggregates,” Physical Review A, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 416–423, 1996.
- V. A. Malyshev, H. Glaeske, and K.-H. Feller, “Exciton—exciton annihilation in linear molecular aggregates at low temperature,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 305, no. 1-2, pp. 117–122, 1999.
- I. G. Scheblykin, O. Yu. Sliusarenko, L. S. Lepnev, A. G. Vitukhnovsky, and M. Van der Auweraer, “Strong nonmonotonous temperature dependence of exciton migration rate in J-aggregates at temperatures from 5 to 300 K,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 47, pp. 10949–10951, 2000.
- I. G. Scheblykin, O. Yu. Sliusarenko, L. S. Lepnev, A. G. Vitukhnovsky, and M. Van der Auweraer, “Excitons in molecular aggregates of 3,-Bis-[3-sulfopropyl]-5,-dichloro-9- ethylthiacarbocyanine (THIATS): temperature dependent properties,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 105, no. 20, pp. 4636–4646, 2001.
- A. V. Malyshev, V. A. Malyshev, and F. Domínguez-Adame, “Low-temperature quenching of one-dimensional localized Frenkel excitons,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 371, no. 3-4, pp. 417–425, 2003.
- C. Spitz, Exzitonische anregungen in zylindrischen J-aggregaten von organischen Farbstoffen, M.S. thesis, Free University, Berlin, Germany, 1999, http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/1999/15.
- J. Moll, W. J. Harrison, D. V. Brumbaugh, and A. A. Muenter, “Exciton annihilation in J-aggregates probed by femtosecond fluorescence upconversion,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 104, no. 39, pp. 8847–8854, 2000.
- T. Kobayashi and S. Nagakura, “The biexcitonic quenching and exciton migration rate in aromatic crystals,” Molecular Physics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 695–704, 1972.
- Dye 1 is available from FEW Chemicals, P. O. Box 1340, D-06756 Wolfen, Germany.
- U. Resch and K. Rurack, “Steady-state and time-resolved fluorometry of fluorescent pollutants and heavy metal complexes,” in Chemical, Biochemical and Environmental Fiber Sensors IX, vol. 3105 of Proceedings of SPIE, pp. 96–103, Munich, Germany, June 1997.
- M. Kollmannsberger, K. Rurack, U. Resch, and J. Daub, “Ultrafast charge transfer in amino-substituted boron dipyrromethene dyes and its inhibition by cation complexation: a new design concept for highly sensitive fluorescent probes,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 102, no. 50, pp. 10211–10220, 1998.
- V. M. Kenkre, “Theory of exciton annihilation in molecular crystals,” Physical Review B, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 2089–2098, 1980.
- C. R. Doering and D. ben-Avraham, “Interparticle distribution functions and rate equations for diffusion-limited reactions,” Physical Review A, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 3035–3042, 1988.
- D. ben-Avraham, M. A. Burschka, and C. R. Doering, “Statics and dynamics of a diffusion-limited reaction: anomalous kinetics, nonequilibrium self-ordering, and a dynamic transition,” Journal of Statistical Physics, vol. 60, no. 5-6, pp. 695–728, 1990.
- R. Kopelman, A. L. Lin, and P. Argyrakis, “Non-classical kinetics and reactant segregation in -dimensional tubular spaces,” Physics Letters A, vol. 232, no. 1-2, pp. 34–40, 1977.
- R. Kopelman, S. Parus, and J. Prasad, “Fractal-like exciton kinetics in porous glasses, organic membranes, and filter papers,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 1742–1745, 1986.
- R. Kopelman, L. Li, S. Parus, and J. Prasad, “Exciton dynamics in thin wires,” Journal of Luminescence, vol. 38, no. 1–6, pp. 289–294, 1987.
- S. S. Lampoura, C. Spitz, S. Daehne, J. Knoester, and K. Duppen, “The optical dynamics of excitons in cylindrical J-aggregates,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 3103–3111, 2002.
- C. Didraga and J. Knoester, “Optical spectra and localization of excitons in inhomogeneous helical cylindrical aggregates,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 121, no. 21, pp. 10687–10698, 2004.
- A. Eisfeld and J. S. Briggs, “The -band of organic dyes: lineshape and coherence length,” Chemical Physics, vol. 281, no. 1, pp. 61–70, 2002.
- A. Eisfeld and J. S. Briggs, “The J- and H-bands of organic dye aggregates,” Chemical Physics, vol. 324, no. 2-3, pp. 376–384, 2006.
- M. Bednarz, V. A. Malyshev, and J. Knoester, “Temperature dependent fluorescence in disordered frenkel chains: interplay of equilibration and local band-edge level structure,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 91, no. 21, Article ID 217401, 2003.
- D. J. Heijs, V. A. Malyshev, and J. Knoester, “Decoherence of excitons in multichromophore systems: thermal line broadening and destruction of superradiant emission,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 17, Article ID 177402, 2005.
- D. J. Heijs, V. A. Malyshev, and J. Knoester, “Thermal broadening of the -band in disordered linear molecular aggregates: a theoretical study,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 123, no. 14, Article ID 144507, 12 pages, 2005.
Copyright © 2006 C. Spitz and S. Daehne. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.