- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Photoenergy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 210159, 11 pages
Mapping Global Solar Radiation from Long-Term Satellite Data in the Tropics Using an Improved Model
Solar Energy Research Laboratory, Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom 73000, Thailand
Received 3 January 2013; Revised 28 February 2013; Accepted 1 March 2013
Academic Editor: Manuel Antón
Copyright © 2013 S. Janjai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Tarpley, “Estimating incident solar radiation at the surface from geostationary satellite data,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1172–1181, 1979.
- C. Gautier, G. Diak, and S. Masse, “A simple physical model to estimate incident solar radiation at the surface from GOES satellite data,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1005–1012, 1980.
- W. Moser and E. Raschke, “Incident solar radiation over Europe estimated from Meteosat data,” Journal of Climate & Applied Meteorology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 166–170, 1984.
- M. Nunez, T. L. Hart, and J. D. Kalma, “Estimating solar radiation in a tropical environment using satellite data,” Journal of Climatology, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 573–585, 1984.
- R. H. B. Exell, “Mapping solar radiation by meteorological satellite,” Renewable Energy Review Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, 1984.
- D. Cano, J. M. Monget, M. Albuisson, H. Guillard, N. Regas, and L. Wald, “A method for the determination of the global solar radiation from meteorological satellite data,” Solar Energy, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 31–39, 1986.
- G. Dedieu, P. Y. Deschamps, and Y. H. Kerr, “Satellite estimation of solar irradiance at the surface of the earth and of surface albedo using a physical model applied to Meteosat data,” Journal of Climate & Applied Meteorology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 79–87, 1987.
- M. Nunez, W. J. Skirving, and N. R. Viney, “A technique for estimating regional surface albedos using geostationary satellite data,” Journal of Climatology, vol. 11, pp. 100–120, 1987.
- C. Sorapipatana, R. H. B. Exell, and D. Borel, “A bispectral method for determining global solar radiation from meteorological satellite data,” Solar and Wind Technology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 321–327, 1988.
- C. Sorapipatana and R. H. B. Exell, “Mesoscale mapping of daily insolation over Southest Asia from satellite data,” Solar and Wind Technology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 1989.
- L. Diabaté, G. Moussu, and L. Wald, “Description of an operational tool for determining global solar radiation at ground using geostationary satellite images,” Solar Energy, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 201–207, 1989.
- H. G. Beyer, C. Costanzo, and D. Heinemann, “Modifications of the heliosat procedure for irradiance estimates from satellite images,” Solar Energy, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 207–212, 1996.
- J. Hirunlabh, R. Sarachitti, P. Namprakai, et al., “Estimating solar radiation at the earth’s surface from satellite data,” Tammasart International Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 1, pp. 89–97, 1997.
- P. Ineichen and R. Perez, “Derivation of cloud index from geostationary satellites and application to the production of solar irradiance and daylight illuminance data,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 119–130, 1999.
- K. Wyser, W. O'Hirok, C. Gautier, and C. Jones, “Remote sensing of surface solar irradiance with corrections for 3-D cloud effects,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 272–284, 2002.
- M. Nunez, “The development of a satellite-based insolation model for the tropical western Pacific Ocean,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 607–627, 1993.
- C. Schillings, H. Mannstein, and R. Meyer, “Operational method for deriving high resolution direct normal irradiance from satellite data,” Solar Energy, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 475–484, 2004.
- F. Vignola, P. Harlan, R. Perez, and M. Kmiecik, “Analysis of satellite derived beam and global solar radiation data,” Solar Energy, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 768–772, 2007.
- E. Cogliani, P. Ricchiazzi, and A. Maccari, “Physical model SOLARMET for determinating total and direct solar radiation by meteosat satellite images,” Solar Energy, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 791–798, 2007.
- J. Polo, L. F. Zarzalejo, M. Cony, et al., “Solar radiation estimations over India using Meteosat satellite images,” Solar Energy, vol. 85, pp. 2395–2406, 2011.
- N. Lu, J. Qin, K. Yang, and J. Sun, “A simple and efficient algorithm to estimate daily global solar radiation from geostationary satellite data,” Energy, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 3179–3188, 2011.
- M. Journée, R. Müller, C. Bertrand, et al., “Solar resource assessment in the Benelux by merging Meteosat-derived climate data and ground measurements,” Solar Energy, vol. 86, pp. 3561–3574, 2012.
- J. L. Bosch, F. J. Batlles, L. F. Zarzalejo, and G. López, “Solar resources estimation combining digital terrain models and satellite images techniques,” Renewable Energy, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2853–2861, 2010.
- S. Janjai, J. Laksanaboonsong, M. Nunez, and A. Thongsathitya, “Development of a method for generating operational solar radiation maps from satellite data for a tropical environment,” Solar Energy, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 739–751, 2005.
- M. Iqbal, An Introduction to Solar Radiation, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1983.
- ASTM, Standard Solar Constant and Zero Air Mass Solar Spectral Table. Standard E-490-00 American Society for Testing and materials, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA, 2000.
- E. F. Vermote, D. Tanrè, J. L. Deuzè, M. Herman, and J. J. Morcrette, “Second simulation of the satellite signal in the solar spectrum, 6S: an overview,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 35, pp. 675–686, 1997.
- S. Janjai, W. Wanvong, and J. Laksanaboonsong, “The determination of surface albedo of Thailand using satellite data,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Joint International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environment (SEE '06), pp. 156–161, Bangkok, Thailand, 2006.
- B. Leckner, “The spectral distribution of solar radiation at the earth's surface-elements of a model,” Solar Energy, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 143–150, 1978.
- K. Chiwpreecha and S. Janjai, “An investigation of the atmospheric ozone in Thailand,” in Proceedings of the Annual Conference of Silpakorn University Research and Development Institute, Silpakorn University, Nakhon Pathom, Thailand, January 2010.
- T. Jantarach, I. Masiri, and S. Janjai, “Comparison of MODIS aerosol optical depth retrievals with ground-based measurements in the tropics,” Procedia Engineering, vol. 32, pp. 392–398, 2012.