- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications
Volume 2008 (2008), Article ID 328597, 10 pages
Feasibility Study and Design of a Wearable System-on-a-Chip Pulse Radar for Contactless Cardiopulmonary Monitoring
1Radio-frequency and Microwave Integrated Circuits Laboratory (RFLab), Department of Information Engineering (DIIEIT), University of Pisa, Via Caruso 16, 56122 Pisa, Italy
2Dipartimento di Informatica, Matematica, Elettronica e Trasporti (DIMET), Università “Mediterranea” di Reggio Calabria, Via Graziella, Feo di Vito, 89060 Reggio Calabria, Italy
3Interdepartmental Research, Center E. Piaggio, University of Pisa, Via Diotisalvi 2, 56122 Pisa, Italy
Received 28 September 2007; Accepted 15 January 2008
Academic Editor: Sajid Hussain
Copyright © 2008 Domenico Zito et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “New public safety applications and broadband internet access among uses envisioned by fcc authorization of ultra-wideband technology,” Federal Communications Commission, 2002, http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/ News_Releases/2002/nret0203.html.
- “47 cfr part 15,” Federal Communications Commission, 2002, http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules.
- D. Zito, D. Pepe, B. Neri, D. De Rossi, and A. Lanatá, “Wearable system-on-a-chip pulse radar sensors for the health care: System overview,” in Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (AINAW '07), vol. 1, pp. 766–769, Niagara Falls, Canada, May 2007.
- M. Klemm and G. Troester, “Textile uwb antennas for wireless body area networks,” IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 3192–3197, 2006.
- E. M. Staderini, “UWB radars in medicine,” IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2002.
- J. C. Lin, “Microwave sensing of physiological movement and volume change: a review,” Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 557–565, 1992.
- A. D. Droitcour, O. Boric-Lubecke, V. M. Lubecke, J. Lin, and G. T. A. Kovacs, “Range correlation and I/Q performance benefits in single-chip silicon doppler radars for noncontact cardiopulmonary monitoring,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 838–848, 2004.
- T. E. McEwan, “Body monitoring and imaging apparatus and method,” November 1996, U.S. Patent 5 573 012.
- I. J. Immoreev and S. V. Samkov, “Ultra-wideband (uwb) radar for remote measuring of main parameters of patient's vital activity,” Radio Physics and Radio Astronomy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 404–407, 2002.
- S. F. Cleary, F. Nickless, L. M. Liu, and R. Hoffman, “Studies of exposure of rabbits to electromagnetic pulsed fields,” Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 1980.
- J. A. D'Andrea, B. L. Cobb, and J. O. De Lorge, “Lack of behavioral effects in the rhesus monkey: high peak microwave pulses at 1.3 GHz,” Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 65–76, 1989.
- T. J. Walters, P. A. Mason, C. J. Sherry, C. Steffen, and J. H. Merritt, “No detectable bioeffects following acute exposure to high peak power ultra-wide band electromagnetic radiation in rats,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 562–567, 1995.
- C. J. Sherry, D. W. Blick, T. J. Walters, G. C. Brown, and M. R. Murphy, “Lack of behavioral effects in non-human primates after exposure to ultrawideband electromagnetic radiation in the microwave frequency range,” Radiation Research, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 93–97, 1995.
- J. H. Merritt, J. L. Kiel, and W. D. Hurt, “Considerations for human exposure standards for fast-rise-time high-peak- power electromagnetic pulses,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 586–589, 1995.
- J. R. Jauchem, R. L. Seaman, H. M. Lehnert, et al., “Ultra-wideband electromagnetic pulses: lack of effects on heart rate and blood pressure during two-minute exposures of rats,” Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 330–333, 1998.
- E. Della Mese, “Appunti al corso di Teoria e Tecnica Radar,” Ed. SEU Pisa.
- C. Gabriel and S. Gabriel, “Compilation of the dielectric properties of body tissues at rf and microwave frequencies,” 2002, http://www.brooks.af.mil/AFRL/HED/hedr/reports/ dielectric/home.html.
- D. Andreuccetti, R. Fossi, and C. Petrucci, “Calculation of the dielectric properties of body tissues in the frequency range 10 hz–100 ghz,” 2002, http://niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tissprop/htmlclie/stfrtag.
- K. Kiminami, A. Hirata, and T. Shiozawa, “Double-sided printed bowtie antenna for uwb communications,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 152–153, 2004.
- H. Schantz, “Near field channel mode,” 2006, IEEE P802.15 Working Group for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs).
- A. Monorchio, “Appunti di compatibilità elettromagnetica”.
- D. Zito, D. Pepe, B. Neri, and D. De Rossi, “Feasibility study of a low-cost system-on-a-chip UWB pulse radar on silicon for the heart monitoring,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Waveform Diversity & Design Conference (WDD '07), pp. 32–36, Pisa, Italy, June 2007.
- T. Zasowski, F. Althaus, M. Stager, A. Wittneben, and G. Troster, “UWB for noninvasive wireless body area networks: channel measurements and results,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies (UWBST '03), pp. 285–289, Reston, Va, USA, November 2003.
- K. Marsden, H.-J. Lee, D. S. Ha, and H.-S. Lee, “Low power cmos reprogrammable pulse generator for uwb systems,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies (UWBST '03), pp. 443–447, Reston, Va, USA, November 2003.
- M. I. Skolnik, Radar Handbook, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1970.
- F. Barale and D. Zito, “UWB 3.1–10.6 GHz CMOS LNA,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Ph.D. Research in Microelectronics and Electronics (PRIME '07), pp. 45–48, Bordeaux, France, July 2007.
- F. Zito, D. Zito, and D. Pepe, “UWB 3.1–10.6 GHz CMOS transmitter for system-on-a-chip nano-power pulse radars,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Ph.D. Research in Microelectronics and Electronics (PRIME '07), pp. 189–192, Bordeaux, France, July 2007.
- Z. N. Low, J. H. Cheong, and C. L. Law, “Low-cost PCB antenna for UWB applications,” IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 237–239, 2005.
- M. Maymandi-Nejad and M. Sachdev, “A monotonie digitally controlled delay element,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 2212–2219, 2005.
- R. Rieger, A. Demosthenous, and J. Taylor, “A 230-nW 10-s time constant CMOS integrator for an adaptive nerve signal amplifier,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1968–1975, 2004.