- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 798239, 10 pages
Assessment of Ondansetron-Associated Hypokalemia in Pediatric Oncology Patients
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, University of Alberta, 11405-87 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 1C9
Received 4 July 2012; Accepted 14 August 2012
Academic Editors: Z. Estrov and L. Mutti
Copyright © 2012 Elsa Fiedrich et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. T. Holdsworth, D. W. Raisch, and J. Frost, “Acute and delayed nausea and emesis control in pediatric oncology patients,” Cancer, vol. 106, no. 4, pp. 931–940, 2006.
- M. Aapro, “5-HT3-receptor antagonists in the management of nausea and vomiting in cancer and cancer treatment,” Oncology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 97–109, 2005.
- Glaxosmithkline, Prescription medicines: Zofran. Brentford, Middlesex UK: Glaxosmithkline plc, 2010 [updated July, 2010, cited October, 2010], http://www.gsk.com/products/prescription-medicines/zofran.htm.
- P. Behnam-Motlagh, P. E. Sandström, R. Henriksson, and K. Grankvist, “Diverging effects of 5-HT3 receptor antagonists ondansetron and granisetron on estramustine-inhibited cellular potassium transport,” Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 244–249, 2001.
- S. R. Turner and M. Pinsk, “Ondansetron-associated hypokalemia in a 2-year-old with pre-B-cell ALL,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 58–60, 2008.
- S. G. Cunningham, “Fluid and electrolyte disturbances associated with cancer and its treatment,” Nursing Clinics of North America, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 579–593, 1982.
- A. Khanna and N. A. Kurtzman, “Metabolic alkalosis,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. S86–S96, 2006.
- P. Behnam-Motlagh, P. E. Sandström, R. Henriksson, and K. Grankvist, “Ondansetron but not granisetron affect cell volume regulation and potassium ion transport of glioma cells treated with estramustine phosphate,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 128, no. 8, pp. 449–455, 2002.
- Bodyventures, Diet and Fitness today: online health and fitness. Bodyventures, 2010 [updated 2010, cited October, 2010], http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/.
- J. Rodriguez-Soriano, M. Ubetagoyena, and A. Vallo, “Transtubular potassium concentration gradient: a useful test to estimate renal aldosterone bio-activity in infants and children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 1990.
- M. G. Nicholls, “Side effects and metabolic effects of converting-enzyme inhibitors,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension A, vol. 9, pp. 653–664, 1987.
- B. F. Palmer, “A physiologic-based approach to the evaluation of a patient with hypokalemia,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1184–1190, 2010.
- S. N. Thornton, “Thirst and hydration: physiology and consequences of dysfunction,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2010.
- R. H. Sterns, M. Cox, P. U. Feig, and I. Singer, “Internal potassium balance and the control of the plasma potassium concentration,” Medicine, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 339–354, 1981.
- G. J. Schwartz, L. P. Brion, and A. Spitzer, “The use of plasma creatinine concentration for estimating glomerular filtration rate in infants, children, and adolescents,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 571–590, 1987.
- M. I. Wilde and A. Markham, “Ondansetron: a review of its pharmacology and preliminary clinical findings in novel applications,” Drugs, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 773–794, 1996.
- F. Roila and A. Del Favero, “Ondansetron clinical pharmacokinetics,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 95–109, 1995.