- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 238428, 18 pages
Nanoparticles for Brain Drug Delivery
Department of Health Sciences, University of Milano-Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, 20900 Monza, Italy
Received 20 March 2013; Accepted 11 April 2013
Academic Editors: H. Itoh, H. Pant, and M. Seno
Copyright © 2013 Massimo Masserini. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [54 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sama Sleiman, and Giovanni Coppola, “Epigenetics of Alzheimer's Disease and Frontotemporal Dementia,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 709–721, 2013.
- Catalina Anisoara Peptu, Lacramioara Ochiuz, Liana Alupei, Cristian Peptu, and Marcel Popa, “Carbohydrate Based Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Across Biological Barriers,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 2107–2148, 2014.
- Tanima Bose, Diane Latawiec, Partha Pratim Mondal, and Subhra Mandal, “Overview of nano-drugs characteristics for clinical application: the journey from the entry to the exit point,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 16, no. 8, 2014.
- Stanley Bazarek, and Daniel A. Peterson, “Prospects for engineering neurons from local neocortical cell populations as cell-mediated therapy for neurological disorders,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, 2014.
- Aikaterini Lalatsa, and Andreas G. Schatzlein, “Strategies To Deliver Peptide Drugs to the Brain,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1081–1093, 2014.
- Dan Liu, Bingqian Lin, Wei Shao, Zhi Zhu, Tianhai Ji, and Chaoyong Yang, “In Vitro and in Vivo Studies on the Transport of PEGylated Silica Nanoparticles across the Blood-Brain Barrier,” Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 2131–2136, 2014.
- Kavitha Siva, Giuseppina Covello, and Michela A. Denti, “Exon-Skipping Antisense Oligonucleotides to Correct Missplicing in Neurogenetic Diseases,” Nucleic Acid Therapeutics, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 69–86, 2014.
- David J. Mc Carthy, Meenakshi Malhotra, Aoife M. O’Mahony, John F. Cryan, and Caitriona M. O’Driscoll, “Nanoparticles and the Blood-Brain Barrier: Advancing from In-Vitro Models Towards Therapeutic Significance,” Pharmaceutical Research, 2014.
- Genaro Gabriel Ortiz, Fermín Paul Pacheco-Moisés, Miguel Ángel Macías-Islas, Luis Javier Flores-Alvarado, Mario A. Mireles-Ramírez, Erika Daniela González-Renovato, Vanessa Elizabeth Hernández-Navarro, Angélica Lizeth Sánchez-López, and Moisés Alejandro Alatorre-Jiménez, “Role of the Blood-Brain Barrier in Multiple Sclerosis,” Archives of Medical Research, 2014.
- Hasan Ebrahimi Shahmabadi, Fatemeh Movahedi, Maedeh Koohi Moftakhari Esfahani, Seyed Ebrahim Alavi, Ali Eslamifar, Gholamreza Mohammadi Anaraki, and Azim Akbarzadeh, “Efficacy of Cisplatin-loaded polybutyl cyanoacrylate nanoparticles on the glioblastoma,” Tumor Biology, 2014.
- Marlies Gijs, An Aerts, Nathalie Impens, Sarah Baatout, and André Luxen, “Aptamers as radiopharmaceuticals for nuclear imaging and therapy,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, 2015.
- Lucas Cordeiro, Larissa Müller, Marcos A. Gelesky, Wilson Wasielesky, Daniele Fattorini, Francesco Regoli, José Marìa Monserrat, and Juliane Ventura-Lima, “Evaluation of coexposure to inorganic arsenic and titanium dioxide nanoparticles in the marine shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2015.
- Clarence S. Yah, and Geoffrey S. Simate, “Nanoparticles as potential new generation broad spectrum antimicrobial agents,” DARU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 23, no. 1, 2015.
- Maysam Pedram, Amir Shamloo, Aria Alasty, and Ebrahim Ghafar-Zadeh, “Toward Epileptic Brain Region Detection Based on Magnetic Nanoparticle Patterning,” Sensors, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 24409–24427, 2015.
- Yasaman Hosseini, Seyed Ebrahim Alavi, Azim Akbarzadeh, and Amir Heidarinasab, “Improving lithium carbonate therapeutics by pegylated liposomal technology: an in vivo study,” Comparative Clinical Pathology, 2015.
- Lingzhou Zhao, Jingyi Zhu, Yongjun Cheng, Zhijuan Xiong, Yueqin Tang, Lilei Guo, Xiangyang Shi, and Jinhua Zhao, “ Chlorotoxin-Conjugated Multifunctional Dendrimers Labeled with Radionuclide 131 I for Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography Imaging and Radiotherapy of Gliomas ,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, pp. 150825105741001, 2015.
- Yukio Takeshita, and Richard M. Ransohoff, “Blood-brain barrier and neurological diseases,” Clinical and Experimental Neuroimmunology, 2015.
- Yuliana Monsalve, Giovanni Tosi, Barbara Ruozi, Daniela Belletti, Antonietta Vilella, Michele Zoli, Maria Angela Vandelli, Flavio Forni, Betty L López, and Ligia Sierra, “PEG-g-chitosan nanoparticles functionalized with the monoclonal antibody OX26 for brain drug targeting,” Nanomedicine, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 1735–1750, 2015.
- Deepak Sharma, Rakesh Kumar Sharma, Navneet Sharma, Reema Gabrani, Sanjeev K. Sharma, Javed Ali, and Shweta Dang, “Nose-To-Brain Delivery of PLGA-Diazepam Nanoparticles,” AAPS PharmSciTech, 2015.
- Julie T.-W. Wang, Noelia Rubio, Houmam Kafa, Enrica Venturelli, Chiara Fabbro, Cécilia Ménard-Moyon, Tatiana Da Ros, Jane K. Sosabowski, Alastair D. Lawson, Martyn K. Robinson, Maurizio Prato, Alberto Bianco, Frederic Festy, Jane E. Preston, Kostas Kostarelos, and Khuloud T. Al-Jamal, “Kinetics of functionalised carbon nanotube distribution in mouse brain after systemic injection: Spatial to ultra-structural analyses,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2015.
- Monique Culturato Padilha Mendonça, Edilene Siqueira Soares, Marcelo Bispo de Jesus, Helder José Ceragioli, Mônica Siqueira Ferreira, Rodrigo Ramos Catharino, and Maria Alice da Cruz-Höfling, “Reduced graphene oxide induces transient blood–brain barrier opening: an in vivo study,” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, vol. 13, no. 1, 2015.
- Louiza Bohn Thomsen, Maj Schneider Thomsen, and Torben Moos, “Targeted drug delivery to the brain using magnetic nanoparticles,” Therapeutic Delivery, 2015.
- Christopher J. Cheng, Gregory T. Tietjen, Jennifer K. Saucier-Sawyer, and W. Mark Saltzman, “A holistic approach to targeting disease with polymeric nanoparticles,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, 2015.
- Meenakshi Malhotra, André Toulouse, Bruno M. D. C. Godinho, David John Mc Carthy, John F. Cryan, and Caitriona M. O'Driscoll, “RNAi therapeutics for brain cancer: current advancements in RNAi delivery strategies,” Mol. BioSyst., vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 2635–2657, 2015.
- Washington Chigumira, Prosper Maposa, Louis L. Gadaga, Admire Dube, Dexter Tagwireyi, and Charles C. Maponga, “Preparation and Evaluation of Pralidoxime-Loaded PLGA Nanoparticles as Potential Carriers of the Drug across the Blood Brain Barrier,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, pp. 1–5, 2015.
- Beniamino Palmieri, Dimitri Poddighe, Maria Vadalà, Carmen Laurino, Carla Carnovale, and Emilio Clementi, “Severe somatoform and dysautonomic syndromes after HPV vaccination: case series and review of literature,” Immunologic Research, 2016.
- Maysam Z. Pedram, Amir Shamloo, Ebrahim GhafarZadeh, and Aria Alasty, “Dynamic analysis of magnetic nanoparticles crossing cell membrane,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2016.
- Vimala N. Bharadwaj, Jonathan Lifshitz, P. David Adelson, Vikram D. Kodibagkar, and Sarah E. Stabenfeldt, “Temporal assessment of nanoparticle accumulation after experimental brain injury: Effect of particle size,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 29988, 2016.
- Ronak Savla, and Tamara Minko, “Nanoparticle design considerations for molecular imaging of apoptosis: Diagnostic, prognostic, and therapeutic value,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2016.
- Maysam Pedram, Amir Shamloo, Aria Alasty, and Ebrahim Ghafar-Zadeh, “Optimal Magnetic Field for Crossing Super-Para-Magnetic Nanoparticles through the Brain Blood Barrier: A Computational Approach,” Biosensors, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 25, 2016.
- Cláudia Saraiva, Catarina Praça, Raquel Ferreira, Tiago Santos, Lino Ferreira, and Liliana Bernardino, “Nanoparticle-mediated brain drug delivery: Overcoming blood-brain barrier to treat neurodegenerative diseases,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2016.
- Mihaela Aldea, Ioan Alexandru Florian, Gabriel Kacso, Lucian Craciun, Sanda Boca, Olga Soritau, and Ioan Stefan Florian, “Nanoparticles for Targeting Intratumoral Hypoxia: Exploiting a Potential Weakness of Glioblastoma,” Pharmaceutical Research, 2016.
- Yu Zhang, Jason S. Buhrman, Yang Liu, Jamie E. Rayahin, and Richard A. Gemeinhart, “Reducible Micelleplexes are Stable Systems for Anti-miRNA Delivery in Cerebrospinal Fluid,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2016.
- Ivana Cacciatore, Michele Ciulla, Erika Fornasari, Lisa Marinelli, and Antonio Di Stefano, “Solid lipid nanoparticles as a drug delivery system for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, pp. 1–11, 2016.
- Maedeh Koohi Moftakhari Esfahani, Seyed Ebrahim Alavi, Shahedeh Shahbazian, and Hasan Ebrahimi Shahmabadi, “Drug Delivery of Cisplatin to Breast Cancer by Polybutylcyanoacrylate Nanoparticles,” Advances in Polymer Technology, 2016.
- Inmaculada Posadas, Silvia Monteagudo, and Valentín Ceña, “Nanoparticles for brain-specific drug and genetic material delivery, imaging and diagnosis,” Nanomedicine, 2016.
- Kayla Miller, Suraj Dixit, Amy-Lee Bredlau, Alfred Moore, Emilie McKinnon, and Ann-Marie Broome, “Delivery of a drug cache to glioma cells overexpressing platelet-derived growth factor receptor using lipid nanocarriers,” Nanomedicine, 2016.
- Shubhra Chaturvedi, and Anil K. Mishra, “Small Molecule Radiopharmaceuticals – A Review of Current Approaches,” Frontiers in Medicine, vol. 3, 2016.
- S. Aday, R. Cecchelli, D. Hallier-Vanuxeem, M.P. Dehouck, and L. Ferreira, “Stem Cell-Based Human Blood–Brain Barrier Models for Drug Discovery and Delivery,” Trends in Biotechnology, 2016.
- Maysam Z. Pedram, Amir Shamloo, Ebrahim GhafarZadeh, and Aria Alasty, “Dynamic Analysis of Magnetic Nanoparticles Crossing Cell Membrane,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2016.
- Rita Cortesi, Elisabetta Esposito, Markus Drechsler, Gabriella Pavoni, Ivana Cacciatore, Maddalena Sguizzato, and Antonio Di Stefano, “L-dopa co-drugs in nanostructured lipid carriers: A comparative study,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 2016.
- Corinne Portioli, Michele Bovi, Donatella Benati, Marta Donini, Massimiliano Perduca, Alessandro Romeo, Stefano Dusi, Hugo L. Monaco, and Marina Bentivoglio, “Novel functionalization strategies of polymeric nanoparticles as carriers for brain medications,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2016.
- Ghislain Djiokeng Paka, and Charles Ramassamy, “Optimization of Curcumin-Loaded PEG-PLGA Nanoparticles by GSH Functionalization: Investigation of the Internalization Pathway in Neuronal Cells,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2016.
- Kuan-Hung Lin, Shu-Ting Hong, Hsiang-Tsui Wang, Yu-Li Lo, Anya Lin, and James Yang, “Enhancing Anticancer Effect of Gefitinib across the Blood–Brain Barrier Model Using Liposomes Modified with One α-Helical Cell-Penetrating Peptide or Glutathione and Tween 80,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1998, 2016.
- Shreyas Shah, “The nanomaterial toolkit for neuroengineering,” Nano Convergence, vol. 3, no. 1, 2016.
- André M. Emilie, Passirani Catherine, Seijo Begona, Sanchez Alejandro, and Montero-Menei Claudia N, “Nano and microcarriers to improve stem cell behaviour for neuroregenerative medicine strategies: application to Huntington’s disease,” Biomaterials, 2016.
- Rohit S. Mulik, Chenchen Bing, Michelle Ladouceur-Wodzak, Imalka Munaweera, Rajiv Chopra, and Ian R. Corbin, “Localized Delivery of Low-Density Lipoprotein Docosahexaenoic Acid Nanoparticles to the Rat Brain using Focused Ultrasound,” Biomaterials, 2016.
- Tian-Tian Zhang, Wen Li, Guanmin Meng, Pei Wang, and Wenzhen Liao, “Strategies for transporting nanoparticles across the blood–brain barrier,” Biomater. Sci., vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 219–229, 2016.
- Hualong Fu, Cheng Peng, Zhigang Liang, Jiapei Dai, Boli Liu, and Mengchao Cui, “In vivo near-infrared and Cerenkov luminescence imaging of amyloid-β deposits in the brain: a fluorinated small molecule used for dual-modality imaging,” Chem. Commun., 2016.
- Abhayraj S. Joshi, Avinash Gahane, and Ashwani Kumar Thakur, “Deciphering the mechanism and structural features of polysorbate 80 during adsorption on PLGA nanoparticles by attenuated total reflectance – Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,” RSC Adv., vol. 6, no. 110, pp. 108545–108557, 2016.
- Asme Boussahel, Daniel M Ibegbu, Rhita Lamtahri, Julie Maucotel, Julien Chuquet, Benjamin Lefranc, Jérôme Leprince, Marta Roldo, Jean-Claude Le Mével, Darek Gorecki, and Eugen Barbu, “ Investigations of octylglyceryl dextran- graft -poly(lactic acid) nanoparticles for peptide delivery to the brain ,” Nanomedicine, 2017.
- Joana Loureiro, Stephanie Andrade, Ana Duarte, Ana Neves, Joana Queiroz, Cláudia Nunes, Emmanuel Sevin, Laurence Fenart, Fabien Gosselet, Manuel Coelho, and Maria Pereira, “Resveratrol and Grape Extract-loaded Solid Lipid Nanoparticles for the Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease,” Molecules, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 277, 2017.
- Tapan Kumar Shaw, Dipika Mandal, Goutam Dey, Murari Mohan Pal, Paramita Paul, Samrat Chakraborty, Kazi Asraf Ali, Biswajit Mukherjee, Amal Kumar Bandyopadhyay, and Mahitosh Mandal, “Successful delivery of docetaxel to rat brain using experimentally developed nanoliposome: a treatment strategy for brain tumor,” Drug Delivery, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 346–357, 2017.
- Min-Hua Chen, Yi-Jhen Jenh, Sheng-Kai Wu, Yo-Shen Chen, Nobutaka Hanagata, and Feng-Huei Lin, “Non-invasive Photodynamic Therapy in Brain Cancer by Use of Tb3+-Doped LaF3 Nanoparticles in Combination with Photosensitizer Through X-ray Irradiation: A Proof-of-Concept Study,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, 2017.