- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Artificial Intelligence
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 482949, 18 pages
Comparison of Adaptive Information Security Approaches
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Kaitoväylä 1, 90571 Oulu, Finland
Received 27 May 2013; Accepted 24 August 2013
Academic Editors: P. Kokol, Y. Liu, and Z. Liu
Copyright © 2013 Antti Evesti and Eila Ovaska. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. O. Kephart and D. M. Chess, “The vision of autonomic computing,” Computer, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 4–50, 2003.
- M. C. Huebscher and J. A. McCann, “A survey of Autonomic computing—degrees, models, and applications,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 40, no. 3, article 7, 2008.
- S. Dobson, S. Denazis, A. Fernández et al., “A survey of autonomic communications,” ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 223–259, 2006.
- M. Salehie and L. Tahvildari, “Self-adaptive software: landscape and research challenges,” ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems, vol. 4, no. 2, article 14, 2009.
- A. Elkhodary and J. Whittle, “A survey of approaches to adaptive application security,” in Proceedings of the Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems Workshop, pp. 16–23, Minneapolis, Minn, USA, May 2007.
- B. Hashii, S. Malabarba, R. Pandey, and M. Bishop, “Supporting reconfigurable security policies for mobile programs,” Computer Networks, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 77–93, 2000.
- W. Hu, J. Hiser, D. Williams et al., “Secure and practical defense against code-injection attacks using software dynamic translation,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Virtual Execution Environments, pp. 2–12, ACM, Ottawa, Canada, June 2006.
- J. C. Knight and E. A. Strunk, “Achieving critical system survivability through software architectures,” in Architecting Dependable Systems II, R. Lemos, C. Gacek, and A. Romanovsky, Eds., pp. 51–78, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- T. Ryutov, L. Zhou, C. Neuman, T. Leithead, and K. E. Seamons, “Adaptive trust negotiation and access control,” in Proceedings of 10th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, pp. 139–146, Yorkshire, UK, June 2005.
- G. Russello and N. Dulay, “An architectural approach for self-managing security services,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops, pp. 153–158, Bradford, UK, May 2009.
- A. Saxena, M. Lacoste, T. Jarboui, U. Lücking, and B. A. Steinke, “Software framework for autonomic security in pervasive environments,” in Information Systems Security, P. McDaniel and S. Gupta, Eds., pp. 91–109, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- R. Hulsebosch, M. Bargh, G. Lenzini, P. Ebben, and S. Iacob, “Context sensitive adaptive authentication,” in Smart Sensing and Context, G. Kortuem, J. Finney, R. Lea, and V. Sundramoorthy, Eds., pp. 93–109, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2007.
- H. Abie, R. M. Savola, J. Bigham, I. Dattani, D. Rotondi, and G. Da Bormida, “Self-healing and secure adaptive messaging middleware for business-critical systems,” International Journal On Advances in Security, vol. 3, pp. 34–51, 2010.
- A. Mihovska and N. R. Prasad, “Adaptive security architecture based on EC-MQV algorithm in personal network (PN),” in Proceedings of the 4th Annual International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking & Services (MobiQuitous '07), pp. 1–5, August 2007.
- ISO/IEC 9126-1, 2001 Software Engineering—Product Quality—Part 1: Quality Model, International Organization of Standardization, 2001.
- A. Avižienis, J.-C. Laprie, B. Randell, and C. Landwehr, “Basic concepts and taxonomy of dependable and secure computing,” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–33, 2004.
- ISO/IEC 15408-1, 2009 Common Criteria for Information Technology Security Evaluation—Part 1: Introduction and General Model, 2009.
- G. Stoneburner, A. Goguen, and A. Feringa, “Risk management guide for information technology systems,” Tech. Rep. 800-30, 2002.
- A. Herzog, N. Shahmehri, and C. Duma, “An ontology of information security,” Journal of Information Security and Privacy, vol. 1, pp. 1–23, 2007.
- D. M. Chess, C. C. Palmer, and S. R. White, “Security in an autonomic computing environment,” IBM Systems Journal, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 107–118, 2003.
- M. Svahnberg, J. Van Gurp, and J. Bosch, “A taxonomy of variability realization techniques,” Software, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 705–754, 2005.
- E. Niemelä, A. Evesti, and P. Savolainen, “Modeling quality attribute variability,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Evaluation of Novel Approaches to Software Engineering, pp. 169–176, Madeira, Portugal, May 2008.
- L. Bass, P. Clements, and R. Kazman, Software Architecture in Practice, Addison-Wesley, Boston, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- N. Yoshioka, H. Washizaki, and K. Maruyama, “A survey on security patterns,” Progress in Informatics, no. 5, pp. 35–47, 2008.
- T. Priebe, E. Fernandez, J. Mehlau, and G. Pernul, “A pattern system for access control,” in Research Directions in Data and Applications Security XVIII, C. Farkas and P. Samarati, Eds., pp. 235–249, Springer, Boston, Mass, USA, 2004.
- M. Matinlassi and E. Niemelä, “The impact of maintainability on component-based software systems,” in Proceedings of the 29th IEEE Euromicro Conference, pp. 25–32, Belek, Turkey, September, 2003.
- G. Russello, L. Mostarda, Dulay, and N. Escape, “A component-based policy framework for sense and react applications,” in Component-Based Software Engineering, M. Chaudron, C. Szyperski, and R. Reussner, Eds., pp. 212–229, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008.
- G. Russello, L. Mostarda, and N. Dulay, “A policy-based publish/subscribe middleware for sense-and-react applications,” Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 638–654, 2011.
- R. He and M. Lacoste, “Applying component-based design to self-protection of ubiquitous systems,” in Proceedings of the the 3rd ACM Workshop on Software Engineering for Pervasive Services (ACM '08), pp. 9–14, Sorrento, Italy, July 2008.
- R. J. Hulsebosch, A. M. Salden, M. S. Bargh, P. W. G. Ebben, and J. Reitsma, “Context sensitive access control,” in Proceedings of 10th ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, pp. 111–119, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2005.
- G. Lenzini, M. S. Bargh, and B. Hulsebosch, “Trust-enhanced security in location-based adaptive authentication,” Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 197, no. 2, pp. 105–119, 2008.
- J. M. Seigneur, G. Lenzini, and B. Hulsebosch, “Adaptive trust management,” in Self-Organising Software, G. Di Marzo Serugendo, M. Gleizes, and A. Karageorgos, Eds., pp. 379–403, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- H. Abie, “Adaptive security and trust management for autonomic message-oriented middleware,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems, pp. 810–817, Macau, China, October 2009.
- R. Savola and H. Abie, “Development of measurable security for a distributed messaging system,” International Journal On Advances in Security, vol. 2, pp. 358–380, 2009.