- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
ISRN Physical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 865219, 7 pages
Equilibrium, Kinetics, and Thermodynamics of the Biosorption of Zn(II) from Aqueous Solution Using Powdered Cow Hooves
1Department of Chemical Sciences, Afe Babalola University, PMB 5454, Ado-Ekiti 360101, Nigeria
2Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Technology, PMB 704, Akure 340252, Nigeria
Received 24 June 2013; Accepted 17 July 2013
Academic Editors: I. Anusiewicz, H. Reis, and E. B. Starikov
Copyright © 2013 Ilesanmi Osasona et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. C. Ajjabi and L. Chouba, “Biosorption of Cu2+ and Zn2+ from aqueous solutions by dried marine green macroalga Chaetomorpha linum,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 3485–3489, 2009.
- M. Jain, V. K. Garg, and K. Kadirvelu, “Adsorption of hexavalent chromium from aqueous medium onto carbonaceous adsorbents prepared from waste biomass,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 949–957, 2010.
- Y. Bulut and Z. Baysal, “Removal of Pb(II) from wastewater using wheat bran,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 107–113, 2006.
- F. A. Abu Al-Rub, M. H. El-Naas, F. Benyahia, and I. Ashour, “Biosorption of nickel on blank alginate beads, free and immobilized algal cells,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1767–1773, 2004.
- M. E. Argun, S. Dursun, C. Ozdemir, and M. Karatas, “Heavy metal adsorption by modified oak sawdust: thermodynamics and kinetics,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2007.
- B. Volesky and Z. R. Holan, “Biosorption of heavy metals,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 235–250, 1995.
- K. Vijayaraghavan and Y.-S. Yun, “Bacterial biosorbents and biosorption,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 266–291, 2008.
- A. Ratnakumari and K. Sobha, “Biosorption of Cu2+ using animal polymers: chick and duck feathers,” International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 664–669, 2012.
- P. Senthil Kumar, S. Ramalingam, R. V. Abhinaya, S. D. Kirupha, A. Murugesan, and S. Sivanesan, “Adsorption of metal ions onto the chemically modified agricultural waste,” Clean—Soil, Air, Water, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 188–197, 2012.
- A. S. A. Prasad, G. Varatharaju, C. Anushri, and S. Dhivyasree, “Biosorption of lead by Pleurotus florida and Trichoderma viride,” British Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 66–78, 2013.
- L. Norton, K. Baskaran, and T. McKenzie, “Biosorption of zinc from aqueous solutions using biosolids,” Advances in Environmental Research, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 629–635, 2004.
- R. J. E. Martins, R. Pardo, and R. A. R. Boaventura, “Cadmium(II) and zinc(II) adsorption by the aquatic moss Fontinalis antipyretica: effect of temperature, pH and water hardness,” Water Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 693–699, 2004.
- P. X. Sheng, Y.-P. Ting, J. P. Chen, and L. Hong, “Sorption of lead, copper, cadmium, zinc, and nickel by marine algal biomass: characterization of biosorptive capacity and investigation of mechanisms,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 275, no. 1, pp. 131–141, 2004.
- C.-Y. Chen, C.-Y. Yang, and A.-H. Chen, “Biosorption of Cu(II), Zn(II), Ni(II) and Pb(II) ions by cross-linked metal-imprinted chitosans with epichlorohydrin,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 796–802, 2011.
- E. Yalcın, K. Cavusoglu, and K. Kınalıoglu, “Biosorption of Cu2+ and Zn2+ by raw and autoclaved Rocellap Hycopsi,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 367–373, 2010.
- C. Yang, J. Wang, M. Lei, G. Xie, G. Zeng, and S. Luo, “Biosorption of zinc(II) from aqueous solution by dried activated sludge,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 675–680, 2010.
- J. C. Igwe, D. N. Ogunewe, and A. A. Abia, “Competitive adsorption of Zn (II), Cd (II) and Pb (II) ions from aqueous and non- aqueous solution by maize cob and husk,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 1113–1116, 2005.
- R. Souag, D. Touaibia, B. Benayada, and A. Boucenna, “Adsorption of heavy metals (Cd, Zn and Pb) from water using keratin powder prepared from Algerien sheep hoofs,” European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 416–425, 2009.
- T. W. Tee and A. R. M. Khan, “Removal of lead, cadmium and zinc by waste tea leaves,” Environmental Technology Letters, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1223–1232, 1988.
- A. Sarı and M. Tuzen, “Biosorption of cadmium(II) from aqueous solution by red algae (Ceramium virgatum): equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 157, no. 2-3, pp. 448–454, 2008.
- Y. P. Kumar, P. King, and V. S. R. K. Prasad, “Removal of copper from aqueous solution using Ulva fasciata sp.-A marine green algae,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 367–373, 2006.
- B. Nasernejad, T. E. Zadeh, B. B. Pour, M. E. Bygi, and A. Zamani, “Camparison for biosorption modeling of heavy metals (Cr (III), Cu (II), Zn (II)) adsorption from wastewater by carrot residues,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 3-4, pp. 1319–1322, 2005.
- S. Al-Asheh, F. Banat, and D. Al-Rousan, “Beneficial reuse of chicken feathers in removal of heavy metals from wastewater,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 321–326, 2003.
- N. Nasuha, B. H. Hameed, and A. T. M. Din, “Rejected tea as a potential low-cost adsorbent for the removal of methylene blue,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 175, no. 1–3, pp. 126–132, 2010.
- Y.-S. Ho, “Removal of copper ions from aqueous solution by tree fern,” Water Research, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2323–2330, 2003.