- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 951456, 8 pages
Nurse Managers' Perceptions Related to Their Leadership Styles, Knowledge, and Skills in These Areas—A Viewpoint: Case of Health Centre Wards in Finland
1Lapland Hospital District, P.O. Box 8041, 96101 Rovaniemi, Finland
2Department of Health Sciences, University of Oulu, P.O. Box 5000, 90014 University of Oulu, Finland
Received 2 February 2013; Accepted 11 March 2013
Academic Editors: B. M. Andersen, K. Clark, and A. Kenny
Copyright © 2013 Soili Vesterinen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Huston, “Preparing nurse leaders for 2020,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 905–911, 2008.
- M. Carney, “Leadership in nursing: current and future perspectives and challenges,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 411–414, 2009.
- H. K. Spence Laschinger, P. Wilk, J. Cho, and P. Greco, “Empowerment, engagement and perceived effectiveness in nursing work environments: does experience matter?” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 636–646, 2009.
- Statistics Finland, “Population projection 2009–2060,” http://www.stat.fi/til/vaenn/2009/vaenn_2009_2009-09-30_tie_001_en.html.
- National Institute for Health and Welfare, “Sosiaali-ja terveydenhuollon henkilöstö 2007,” Statistical report in Finland 7/2010, http://www.stakes.fi/tilastot/tilastotiedotteet/2010/Tr07_10.pdf.
- M. Flinkman, M. Laine, H. Leino-Kilpi, H. M. Hasselhorn, and S. Salanterä, “Explaining young registered Finnish nurses' intention to leave the profession: a questionnaire survey,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 727–739, 2008.
- D. C. Espinoza, A. Lopez-Saldana, and J. S. Stonestreet, “The pivotal role of the nurse manager in healthy workplaces: implications for training and development,” Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 327–334, 2009.
- T. Cowden, G. Cummings, and J. Profetto-Mcgrath, “Leadership practices and staff nurses' intent to stay: a systematic review,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 461–477, 2011.
- A. A. Farag, S. Tullai-Mcguinness, and M. K. Anthony, “Nurses' perception of their manager's leadership style and unit climate: are there generational differences?” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2009.
- A. M. Tomey, “Nursing leadership and management effects work environments,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 2009.
- J. Casida and J. Parker, “Staff nurse perceptions of nurse manager leadership styles and outcomes,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 478–486, 2011.
- D. L. Huber, M. Maas, J. McCloskey, C. A. Scherb, C. J. Goode, and C. Watson, “Evaluating nursing administration instruments,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 251–272, 2000.
- M. Suhonen and L. Paasivaara, “Shared human capital in project management: a systematic review of the literature,” Project Management Journal, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 4–16, 2011.
- J. Teperi, M. E. Porter, L. Vuorenkoski, and J. F. Baron, “The Finnish health care system: a value-based perspective,” Sitra Reports 82, Edita Prima Ltd., Helsinki, Finland, 2009.
- Ministry of Social affairs and Health 2010, “Terveydenhuoltolaki,” http://www.stm.fi/vireilla/lainsaadantohankkeet/sosiaali_ja_terveydenhuolto/terveydenhuoltolaki.
- National Institute for Health and Welfare, “Terveyskeskusten perusterveydenhuollon vuodeosastohoito 2008,” Official statistics in Finland, 2010, http://www.stakes.fi/tilastot/tilastotiedotteet/2010/Tr01_10.pdf.
- S. Watters, “Shared leadership: taking flight,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 26–29, 2009.
- R. P. Newhouse, “Creating infrastructure supportive of evidence-based nursing practice: leadership strategies,” Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 21–29, 2007.
- D. Weberg, “Transformational leadership and staff retention: an evidence review with implications for healthcare systems,” Nursing Administration Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 246–258, 2010.
- D. Goleman, R. Boyatzis, and A. McKee, Primal Leadership Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, Mass, USA, 2002.
- K. Akerjordet and E. Severinsson, “Emotionally intelligent nurse leadership: a literature review study,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 565–577, 2008.
- R. Feather, “Emotional intelligence in relation to nursing leadership: does it matter?” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 376–382, 2009.
- C. Young-Ritchie, H. K. Spence Laschinger, and C. Wong, “The effects of emotionally intelligent leadership behaviour on emergency staff nurses' workplace empowerment and organizational commitment,” Nursing Leadership, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 70–85, 2009.
- A. McCallin and A. Bamford, “Interdisciplinary teamwork: is the influence of emotional intelligence fully appreciated?” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 386–391, 2007.
- V. Lucas, H. K. Spence Laschinger, and C. A. Wong, “The impact of emotional intelligent leadership on staff nurse empowerment: the moderating effect of span of control,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 964–973, 2008.
- S. Vesterinen, A. Isola, and L. Paasivaara, “Hoitotyön johtajien johtamistyylitutkimus vuosina 1994-2006,” Premissi, no. 6, pp. 36–44, 2007 (Finnish).
- S. Vesterinen, A. Isola, and L. Paasivaara, “Leadership styles of Finnish nurse managers and factors influencing it,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 503–509, 2009.
- S. Vesterinen, M. Suhonen, A. Isola, and L. Paasivaara, “Nurse managers’ leadership styles in Finland,” Nursing Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 605379, 8 pages, 2012.
- N. Burns and S. K. Grove, The Practise of Nursing Research, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2001.
- B. Munro, Statistical Methods For the Health Care Research, Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2001.
- J. Casida and G. Pinto-Zipp, “Leadership-organizational culture relationship in nursing units of acute care hospitals,” Nursing Economics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 7–15, 2008.
- P. Kenmore, “Exploring leadership styles,” Nursing Management, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 24–26, 2008.
- I. W. Graham and E. Jack, “Promoting leadership: the development of a nurse executive team in an acute hospital trust,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 955–963, 2008.
- K. Rosengren, E. Athlin, and K. Segesten, “Presence and availability: staff conceptions of nursing leadership on an intensive care unit,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 522–529, 2007.
- C. Way, D. Gregory, J. Davis et al., “The impact of organizational culture on clinical managers' organizational commitment and turnover intentions,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 235–242, 2007.
- J. S. Mensik, “A view on generational differences from a generation X leader,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 483–484, 2007.
- V. V. Upenieks, “What constitutes effective leadership?: perceptions of magnet and nonmagnet nurse leaders,” Journal of Nursing Administration, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 456–467, 2003.
- A. Rego, F. Sousa, M. Pina e Cunha, A. Correia, and I. Saur-Amaral, “Leader self-reported emotional intelligence and perceived employee creativity: an exploratory study,” Creativity and Management, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 250–264, 2007.
- K. Akerjordet and E. Severinsson, “The state of the science of emotional intelligence related to nursing leadership: an integrative review,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 363–382, 2010.
- D. Polit and B. Hungler, Essentials of Nursing Research, Methods, Appraisal and Utilization, Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 1997.