- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 489269, 14 pages
1D and 2D Numerical Modeling for Solving Dam-Break Flow Problems Using Finite Volume Method
Department of Spatial Design, Chienkuo Technology University, Number 1, Chieh Shou N. Road, Changhua City 500, Taiwan
Received 6 January 2012; Accepted 13 February 2012
Academic Editor: Shuyu Sun
Copyright © 2012 Szu-Hsien Peng. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. C. Chen, “Failure mechanism and disaster mitigation on landslide-dammed lakes,” Journal of Chinese Soil and Water Conservation, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 299–311, 1999.
- Z. Y. Feng, “The seismic signatures of the surge wave from the 2009 Xiaolin landslide-dam breach in Taiwan,” Hydrological Processes, 2011. In press.
- W. Y. Tan, Shallow Water Hydrodynamics, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1992.
- C. B. Liao, M. S. Wu, and S. J. Liang, “Numerical simulation of a dam break for an actual river terrain environment,” Hydrological Processes, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 447–460, 2007.
- D. Liang, R. A. Falconer, and B. Lin, “Comparison between TVD-MacCormack and ADI-type solvers of the shallow water equations,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1833–1845, 2006.
- M. H. Tseng, “Improved treatment of source terms in TVD scheme for shallow water equations,” Advances in Water Resources, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 617–629, 2004.
- S. R. Idelsohn, E. Oñate, F. Del Pin, and N. Calvo, “Fluid-structure interaction using the particle finite element method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 195, no. 17-18, pp. 2100–2123, 2006.
- T. W. H. Sheu, C. Chiao, and C. Huang, “Development of a particle interaction kernel function in MPS method for simulating incompressible free surface flow,” Journal of Applied Mathematics, Article ID 793653, 16 pages, 2011.
- C. M. Wu and S. C. Chen, “Simulating runoff using the method of characteristics with unsteady rainfall events,” Journal of Mechanics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 171–178, 2005.
- H. D. Shi and Z. Liu, “Review and progress of research in numerical simulation of dam-break water flow,” Advances in Water Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2006.
- C. Hirsch, Numerical Computation of Internal and External Flows, Fundamentals of Numerical Discretization, vol. 2, John Wiley & Sons, New York , NY, USA, 1988.
- C. V. Bellos, J. V. Soulis, and J. G. Sakkas, “Experimental investigation of two-dimensional dam-break induced flows,” Journal of Hydraulic Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 47–75, 1992.
- G. Simpson and S. Castelltort, “Coupled model of surface water flow, sediment transport and morphological evolution,” Computers and Geosciences, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 1600–1614, 2006.
- M. B. Abbott, Computational Hydraulics Elements of the Theory of Free Surface Flows, vol. 1 of Monographs and Surveys in Water Resource Engineering, Pitman Publishing, London, UK, 1979.
- M. H. Chaudhry, Open-Channel Flow, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1993.
- W. H. Graf, Fluvial Hydraulics, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1998.
- E. F. Toro, Riemann Solvers and Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1999.
- H. Capart, Dam-break induced geomorphic flows and the transition from solid- to fluid-like behaviour across evolving interfaces, Ph.D. thesis, University of Louvain, Belgium, 2000.
- L. Fraccarollo, H. Capart, and Y. Zech, “A Godunov method for the computation of erosional shallow water transients,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 951–976, 2003.
- A. Harten, P. D. Lax, and B. van Leer, “On upstream differencing and Godunov-type schemes for hyperbolic conservation laws,” SIAM Review, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 35–61, 1983.
- L. Fraccarollo and E. F. Toro, “Experimental and numerical assessment of the shallow water model for two-dimensional dam-break type problems,” Journal of Hydraulic Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 843–864, 1995.
- R. J. LeVeque, Finite volume methods for hyperbolic problems, Cambridge Texts in Applied Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2002.
- J. J. Stoker, Water Waves, Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1957.
- M. H. Tseng, C. A. Hsu, and C. R. Chu, “Channel routing in open-channel flows with surges,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 2001.
- Z. Wang and H. T. Shen, “Lagrangian simulation of one-dimensional dam-break flow,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, vol. 125, no. 11, pp. 1217–1221, 1999.
- USACE, Flood Resulting from Suddenly Breached Dams, US Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, Miss, USA, 1960.