- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 192503, 9 pages
Is There a Link between Mitochondrial Reserve Respiratory Capacity and Aging?
1Center for Healthy Aging, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Copenhagen, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
2Department of Genetics, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Received 1 February 2012; Accepted 11 April 2012
Academic Editor: Yousin Suh
Copyright © 2012 Claus Desler et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Claus Desler, and Lene Juel Rasmussen, “Mitochondria in Biology and Medicine,” Mitochondrion, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 472–476, 2012.
- Zhiyin Xun, Sulay Rivera-Sanchez, Sylvette Ayala-Pena, James Lim, Helen Budworth, Erin M. Skoda, Paul D. Robbins, Laura J. Niedernhofer, Peter Wipf, and Cynthia T. McMurray, “Targeting of XJB-5-131 to Mitochondria Suppresses Oxidative DNA Damage and Motor Decline in a Mouse Model of Huntington's Disease,” Cell Reports, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 1137–1142, 2012.
- Ana Manuel Dantas Machado, Claus Desler, Sisse Bøggild, Jesper A.B. Strickertsson, Lennart Friis-Hansen, Ceu Figueiredo, Raquel Seruca, and Lene Juel Rasmussen, “Helicobacter pylori infection affects mitochondrial function and DNA repair, thus, mediating genetic instability in gastric cells,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, 2013.
- Claus Desler, and Lene Juel Rasmussen, “Mitochondria in biology and medicine — 2012,” Mitochondrion, 2013.
- Garth L. Nicolson, and Michael E. Ash, “Lipid Replacement Therapy: A natural medicine approach to replacing damaged lipids in cellular membranes and organelles and restoring function,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, 2013.
- Reuben L. Smith, Richard de Boer, Stanley Brul, Yelena Budovskaya, and Hans van der Spek, “Premature and accelerated aging: HIV or HAART?,” Frontiers in Genetics, vol. 3, 2013.
- Robert Faris, Yang-Yi Fan, Alejandra DeAngulo, Robert S. Chapkin, Linda A. deGraffenried, and Christopher A. Jolly, “Mitochondrial glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase-1 is essential for murine CD4+ T cell metabolic activation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 2014.
- S Rose, R E Frye, J Slattery, R Wynne, M Tippett, S Melnyk, and S J James, “Oxidative stress induces mitochondrial dysfunction in a subset of autistic lymphoblastoid cell lines,” Translational Psychiatry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. e377, 2014.
- Nathan T. Fried, Cynthia Moffat, Erin L. Seifert, and Michael L. Oshinsky, “Functional mitochondrial analysis in acute brain sections from adult rats reveals mitochondrial dysfunction in a rat model of migraine,” American Journal Of Physiology-Cell Physiology, vol. 307, no. 11, pp. C1017–C1030, 2014.
- Shannon Rose, Richard E. Frye, John Slattery, Rebecca Wynne, Marie Tippett, Oleksandra Pavliv, Stepan Melnyk, and S. Jill James, “Oxidative Stress Induces Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Subset of Autism Lymphoblastoid Cell Lines in a Well-Matched Case Control Cohort,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 1, 2014.
- Cara A Timpani, Alan Hayes, and Emma Rybalka, “Revisiting the dystrophin-ATP connection: How half a century of research still implicates mitochondrial dysfunction in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy aetiology,” Medical Hypotheses, 2015.
- Daniel J. Tyrrell, Manish S. Bharadwaj, Cynthia G. Van Horn, Anthony P. Marsh, Barbara J. Nicklas, and Anthony J.A. Molina, “Blood-Cell Bioenergetics are Associated With Physical Function and Inflammation in Overweight/Obese Older Adults,” Experimental Gerontology, 2015.
- Scott P. Allen, Lynn M. Duffy, Pamela J. Shaw, and Andrew J. Grierson, “Altered age related changes in bioenergetic properties and mitochondrial morphology in fibroblasts from sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (SALS),” Neurobiology of Aging, 2015.
- Matthew J. Young, Margaret M. Humble, Karen L. DeBalsi, Kathie Y. Sun, and William C. Copeland, “ POLG2 disease variants: analyses reveal a dominant negative heterodimer, altered mitochondrial localization and impaired respiratory capacity ,” Human Molecular Genetics, pp. ddv240, 2015.
- Shu-Huei Kao, May-Yung Yen, An-Guor Wang, Yi-Ling Yeh, and An-Lo Lin, “Changes in Mitochondrial Morphology and Bioenergetics in Human Lymphoblastoid Cells With Four Novel OPA1 Mutations,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 2269–2278, 2015.
- H. A. Funes, A. Blas-Garcia, J. V. Esplugues, and N. Apostolova, “Efavirenz alters mitochondrial respiratory function in cultured neuron and glial cell lines,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 2015.
- Elie Ramly, Haytham M. A. Kaafarani, and George C. Velmahos, “The Effect of Aging on Pulmonary Function Implications for Monitoring and Support of the Surgical and Trauma Patient,” Surgical Clinics Of North America, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 53–+, 2015.
- Michael J. J. Chu, Anthony J. R. Hickey, Yannan Jiang, Amorita Petzer, Adam S. J. R. Bartlett, and Anthony R. J. Phillips, “Mitochondrial dysfunction in steatotic rat livers occurs because a defect in complex i makes the liver susceptible to prolonged cold ischemia,” Liver Transplantation, 2015.
- Shannon Rose, Rebecca Wynne, Richard E. Frye, Stepan Melnyk, and S. Jill James, “Increased Susceptibility to Ethylmercury-Induced Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Subset of Autism Lymphoblastoid Cell Lines,” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 2015, pp. 1–13, 2015.
- Daniel J. Tyrrell, Manish S. Bharadwaj, Matthew J. Jorgensen, Thomas C. Register, and Anthony J.A. Molina, “Blood Cell Respirometry is Associated with Skeletal and Cardiac Muscle Bioenergetics: Implications For a Minimally Invasive Biomarker of Mitochondrial Health,” Redox Biology, 2016.
- Sónia Campos, Luís Félix, Carlos Venâncio, Maria de Lurdes Pinto, Francisco Peixoto, Paula Guedes de Pinho, and Luís Antunes, “In vivo study of hepatic oxidative stress and mitochondrial function in rabbits with severe hypotension after propofol prolonged infusion,” SpringerPlus, vol. 5, no. 1, 2016.
- Lina M. Ruiz, Erik L. Jensen, Yancing Rossel, German I. Puas, Alvaro M. Gonzalez-Ibanez, Rodrigo I. Bustos, David A. Ferrick, and Alvaro A. Elorza, “Non-cytotoxic copper overload boosts mitochondrial energy metabolism to modulate cell proliferation and differentiation in the human erythroleukemic cell line K562,” Mitochondrion, 2016.
- Shona A. Mookerjee, David G. Nicholls, and Martin D. Brand, “Determining Maximum Glycolytic Capacity Using Extracellular Flux Measurements,” Plos One, vol. 11, no. 3, 2016.
- Aris Polyzos, Amy Holt, Christopher Brown, Celica Cosme, Peter Wipf, Alex Gomez-Marin, Maríadel R. Castro, Sylvette Ayala-Peña, and Cynthia T. McMurray, “Mitochondrial targeting of XJB-5-131 attenuates or improves pathophysiology in HdhQ150 animals with well-developed disease phenotypes,” Human Molecular Genetics, pp. ddw051, 2016.
- R E Frye, S Rose, J Chacko, R Wynne, S C Bennuri, J C Slattery, M Tippett, L Delhey, S Melnyk, S G Kahler, and D F MacFabe, “Modulation of mitochondrial function by the microbiome metabolite propionic acid in autism and control cell lines,” Translational Psychiatry, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. e927, 2016.
- Hirotaka Yamamoto, Katsutaro Morino, Lemecha Mengistu, Taishi Ishibashi, Kohei Kiriyama, Takao Ikami, and Hiroshi Maegawa, “Amla Enhances Mitochondrial Spare Respiratory Capacity by Increasing Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Antioxidant Systems in a Murine Skeletal Muscle Cell Line,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2016, pp. 1–11, 2016.
- Joshua A. Chu-Tan, Matt Rutar, Kartik Saxena, Yunlu Wu, Lauren Howitt, Krisztina Valter, Jan Provis, and Riccardo Natoli, “Efficacy of 670 nm Light Therapy to Protect against Photoreceptor Cell Death Is Dependent on the Severity of Damage,” International Journal of Photoenergy, vol. 2016, pp. 1–12, 2016.