- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 685190, 8 pages
Physical Inactivity and Related Barriers: A Study in a Community Dwelling of Older Brazilians
1Department of Physical Education, Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), Avenida 24-A, 1515 Bela Vista, 13506-900 Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
2Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 906 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Received 22 June 2012; Revised 12 October 2012; Accepted 13 October 2012
Academic Editor: Wojtek Chodzko-Zajko
Copyright © 2012 Sebastião Gobbi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. J. Chodzko-Zajko, D. N. Proctor, M. A. Fiatarone Singh et al., “Exercise and physical activity for older adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1510–1530, 2009.
- H. B. Hubert, D. A. Bloch, J. W. Oehlert, and J. F. Fries, “Lifestyle habits and compression of morbidity,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. M347–M351, 2002.
- S. C. Dumith, P. C. Hallal, R. S. Reis, and H. W. Kohl, “Worldwide prevalence of physical inactivity and its association with human development index in 76 countries,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 53, no. 1-2, pp. 24–28, 2011.
- R. Guthold, T. Ono, K. L. Strong, S. Chatterji, and A. Morabia, “Worldwide variability in physical inactivity. A 51-country survey,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 486–494, 2008.
- G. Zhao, E. S. Ford, C. Li, and L. S. Balluz, “Physical activity in U.S. Older adults with diabetes mellitus: prevalence and correlates of meeting physical activity recommendations,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 132–137, 2011.
- A. A. Florindo, V. V. Guimarães, C. L. G. Cesar, M. B. De Azevedo Barros, M. C. G. P. Alves, and M. Goldbaum, “Epidemiology of leisure, transportation, occupational, and household physical activity: prevalence and associated factors,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 625–632, 2009.
- A. Shibata, K. Oka, K. Harada, Y. Nakamura, and I. Muraoka, “Psychological, social, and environmental factors to meeting physical activity recommendations among Japanese adults,” International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol. 6, article 1479, p. 60, 2009.
- S. J. Marshall, D. A. Jones, B. E. Ainsworth, J. P. Reis, S. S. Levy, and C. A. Macera, “Race/ethnicity, social class, and leisure-time physical inactivity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 44–51, 2007.
- J. Sims, K. Hill, S. Davidson, J. Gunn, and N. Huang, “A snapshot of the prevalence of physical activity amongst older, community dwelling people in Victoria, Australia: patterns across the “young-old” and ‘fold-old’,” BMC Geriatrics, vol. 7, article 4, 2007.
- J. Dawson, M. Hillsdon, I. Boller, and C. Foster, “Perceived barriers to walking in the neighbourhood environment and change in physical activity levels over 12 months,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 562–568, 2007.
- J. Dawson, M. Hillsdon, I. Boller, and C. Foster, “Perceived barriers to walking in the neighborhood environment: a survey of middle-aged and older adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 318–335, 2007.
- M. Rasinaho, M. Hirvensalo, R. Leinonen, T. Lintunen, and T. Rantanen, “Motives for and barriers to physical activity among older adults with mobility limitations,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 90–102, 2007.
- T. R. B. Benedetti, E. d'Orsi, A. Schwingel, and W. J. Chodzko-Zajko, “Convivência groups: building active and healthy communities of older adults in Brazil,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2012, 7 pages, 2012.
- F. V. Siqueira, L. A. Facchini, R. X. Piccini et al., “Physical activity in young adults and the elderly in areas covered by primary health care units in municipalities in the South and Northeast of Brazil,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 39–54, 2008.
- F. F. Reichert, A. J. D. Barros, M. R. Domingues, and P. C. Hallal, “The role of perceived personal barriers to engagement in leisure-time physical activity,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 515–519, 2007.
- DHHS. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, 2008.
- D. Stokols, J. Allen, and R. L. Bellingham, “The social ecology of health promotion: implications for research and practice,” American Journal of Health Promotion, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 247–251, 1996.
- J. F. Sallis, R. B. Cervero, W. Ascher, K. A. Henderson, M. K. Kraft, and J. Kerr, “An ecological approach to creating active living communities,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 27, pp. 297–322, 2006.
- C. L. Craig, A. L. Marshall, M. Sjöström et al., “International physical activity questionnaire: 12-Country reliability and validity,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1381–1395, 2003.
- T. R. B. Benedetti, P. D. C. Antunes, C. R. Rodriguez-Añez, G. Z. Mazo, and E. L. Petroski, “Reproducibility and validity of the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) in elderly men,” Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte, vol. 13, no. 1, 2007.
- M. S. Hirayama, “Physical Activity and Parkinson disease: behavior change, self-efficacy and perceived barriers,” Rio Claro, Brazil, Institute of Bioscience—Department of Physical Education, Sao Paulo State University, 2006.
- P. C. Hallal, C. G. Victora, J. C. K. Wells, and R. C. Lima, “Physical inactivity: prevalence and associated variables in Brazilian adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 1894–1900, 2003.
- M. L. Booth, A. Bauman, N. Owen, and C. J. Gore, “Physical activity preferences, preferred sources of assistance, and perceived barriers to increased activity among physically inactive Australians,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 131–137, 1997.
- W. J. Brown and Y. D. Miller, “Too wet to exercise? Leaking urine as a barrier to physical activity in women,” Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 373–378, 2001.
- A. G. Knuth, G. Bacchieri, C. G. Victora, and P. C. Hallal, “Changes in physical activity among Brazilian adults over a 5-year period,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 591–595, 2010.
- A. Shibata, K. Oka, Y. Nakamura, and I. Muraoka, “Prevalence and demographic correlates of meeting the physical activity recommendation among Japanese adults,” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2009.
- E. L. Idler and Y. Benyamini, “Self-rated health and mortality: a review of twenty-seven community studies,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 1997.
- A. Stathi, H. Gilbert, K. R. Fox, J. Coulson, M. Davis, and J. L. Thompson, “Determinants of neighborhood activity of adults aged 70 and over: a mixed methods study,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 148–170, 2012.
- H. R. Bowles, J. R. Morrow, B. L. Leonard, M. Hawkins, and P. M. Couzelis, “The association between physical activity behavior and commonly reported barriers in a worksite population,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 464–470, 2002.
- S. G. Trost, N. Owen, A. E. Bauman, J. F. Sallis, and W. Brown, “Correlates of adults' participation in physical activity: review and update,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 1996–2001, 2002.
- E. Costello, M. Kafchinski, J. Vrazel, and P. Sullivan, “Motivators, barriers, and beliefs regarding physical activity in an older adult population,” Journal of Geriatrics and Physical Therapy, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 138–147, 2011.
- P. C. Hallal, S. M. Matsudo, V. K. Matsudo, T. L. Araújo, D. R. Andrade, and A. D. Bertoldi, “Physical activity in adults from two Brazilian areas: similarities and differences,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 573–580, 2005.
- L. H. Anderson, B. C. Martinson, A. L. Crain et al., “Health care charges associated with physical inactivity, overweight, and obesity,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 2, no. 4, p. A09, 2005.
- R. R. Pate, M. Pratt, S. N. Blair et al., “Physical activity and public health: a recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American College of Sports Medicine,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 5, pp. 402–407, 1995.
- IBGE—Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics, Demographic Census 2010, http://www.ibge.gov.br/cidadesat/topwindow.htm.
- P. C. Hallal, L. F. Gomez, D. C. Parra et al., “Lessons learned after 10 years of IPAQ use in Brazil and Colombia,” Journal of Physical Activity & Health, vol. 7, supplement 2, pp. S259–264, 2010.
- R. Rzewnicki, Y. Vanden Auweele, and I. De Bourdeaudhuij, “Addressing overreporting on the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) telephone survey with a population sample,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 299–305, 2003.