- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 751310, 6 pages
The Association between Seasonal Variation in Vitamin D, Postural Sway, and Falls Risk: An Observational Cohort Study
1School of Human Life Sciences, University of Tasmania, Launceston, TAS 7250, Australia
2School of Physiotherapy, Curtin University, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
Received 28 May 2013; Revised 12 August 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editor: Alice Nieuwboer
Copyright © 2013 Marie-Louise Bird et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Rubenstein, “Falls in older people: epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention,” Age and Ageing, vol. 35, pp. 37–41, 2006.
- A. Bergland, G.-B. Jarnlo, and K. Laake, “Predictors of falls in the elderly by location,” Aging, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 2003.
- Y. Lajoie and S. P. Gallagher, “Predicting falls within the elderly community: comparison of postural sway, reaction time, the Berg balance scale and the Activities-specific Balance Confidence (ABC) scale for comparing fallers and non-fallers,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 11–26, 2004.
- J. K. Dhesi, L. M. Bearne, C. Moniz et al., “Neuromuscular and psychomotor function in elderly subjects who fall and the relationship with vitamin D status,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 891–897, 2002.
- S. W. Muir and M. Montero-Odasso, “Effect of vitamin D supplementation on muscle strength, gait and balance in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 2291–2300, 2011.
- J. K. Dhesi, S. H. D. Jackson, L. M. Bearne et al., “Vitamin D supplementation improves neuromuscular function in older people who fall,” Age and Ageing, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 589–595, 2004.
- I. A. F. van der Mei, A.-L. Ponsonby, O. Engelsen et al., “The high prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency across Australian populations is only partly explained by season and latitude,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 115, no. 8, pp. 1132–1139, 2007.
- J. A. Pasco, M. J. Henry, M. A. Kotowicz et al., “Seasonal periodicity of serum vitamin D and parathyroid hormone, bone resorption, and fractures: the Geelong Osteoporosis Study,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 752–758, 2004.
- L. D. Gillespie, M. C. Robertson, W. J. Gillespie et al., “Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 2, Article ID CD007146, 2008.
- S. Pajala, P. Era, M. Koskenvuo, J. Kaprio, T. Törmäkangas, and T. Rantanen, “Force platform balance measures as predictors of indoor and outdoor falls in community-dwelling women aged 63–76 years,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 2008.
- C. Annweiler, M. Montero-Odasso, A. M. Schott, G. Berrut, B. Fantino, and O. Beauchet, “Fall prevention and vitamin D in the elderly: an overview of the key role of the non-bone effects,” Journal of Neuro-engineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 7, no. 1, article 50, 2010.
- M. L. Bird, K. D. Hill, I. K. Robertson, et al., “Serum [25(OH)D] status, ankle strength and activity show seasonal variation in older adults: relevance for winter falls in higher latitudes,” Age and Ageing, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 181–185, 2013.
- S. Mirchandani, G. B. Aharonoff, R. Hiebert, E. L. Capla, J. D. Zuckerman, and K. J. Koval, “The effects of weather and seasonality on hip fracture incidence in older adults,” Orthopedics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2005.
- P.-Y. Yeung, P.-H. Chau, J. Woo, V. W.-T. Yim, and T. H. Rainer, “Higher incidence of falls in winter among older people in Hong Kong,” Journal of Clinical Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 13–16, 2011.
- A. J. Campbell, G. F. S. Spears, M. J. Borrie, and J. L. Fitzgerald, “Falls, elderly women and the cold,” Gerontology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 205–208, 1988.
- J. K. Pittaway, K. D. K. Ahuja, J. M. Beckett, et al., “Make vitamin D while the sun shines, take supplements when t doesn't: a longitudinal, observational study of older adults in Tasmania, Australia,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 3, Article ID e59063, 2013.
- M.-L. Bird, K. Hill, M. Ball, and A. D. Williams, “Effects of resistance- and flexibility-exercise interventions on balance and related measures in older adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 444–454, 2009.
- B. E. Maki, P. J. Holliday, and A. K. Topper, “A prospective study of postural balance and risk of falling in an ambulatory and independent elderly population,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. M72–M84, 1994.
- M. A. Hughes, P. W. Duncan, D. K. Rose, J. M. Chandler, and S. A. Studenski, “The relationship of postural sway to sensorimotor function, functional performance, and disability in the elderly,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 567–572, 1996.
- K. Hill, J. Schwarz, L. Flicker, and S. Carroll, “Falls among healthy, community-dwelling, older women: a prospective study of frequency, circumstances, consequences and prediction accuracy,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 1999.
- M. Pfeifer, B. Begerow, H. W. Minne, C. Abrams, D. Nachtigall, and C. Hansen, “Effects of a short-term vitamin D and calcium supplementation on body sway and secondary hyperparathyroidism in elderly women,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1113–1118, 2000.
- W. P. Berg, H. M. Alessio, E. M. Mills, and C. Tong, “Circumstances and consequences of falls in independent community-dwelling older adults,” Age and Ageing, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 261–268, 1997.
- H. A. Bischoff-Ferrari, B. Dawson-Hughes, H. B. Staehelin et al., “Fall prevention with supplemental and active forms of vitamin D: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b3692, 2009.
- H. A. Bischoff-Ferrari, J. E. Orav, J. A. Barrett, and J. A. Baron, “Effect of seasonality and weather on fracture risk in individuals 65 years and older,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1225–1233, 2007.