- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Aging Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 905094, 11 pages
The Impact of Body Mass Index and Weight Changes on Disability Transitions and Mortality in Brazilian Older Adults
1Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1206 South 4th Street, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
2Zilber School of Public Health, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1240 N. 10th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53205, USA
3School of Public Health, Departament of Epidemiology, University of São Paulo, Avenida Dr. Arnaldo, 715 Pinheiros, 01246-904 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
4School of Nursing, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, University of São Paulo, Avenida Dr. Enéas de Carvalho Aguiar, 419 3o. andar, Sala 318, Cerqueira Cesar, 05403-000 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 2 November 2012; Revised 7 March 2013; Accepted 13 March 2013
Academic Editor: Heather Keller
Copyright © 2013 Flávia Cristina Drumond Andrade et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Cotlear, Population Aging? Is Latin America Ready?World Bank, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- K. Kinsella and W. He, An Aging World: 2008, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat, World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision, United Nations, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- S. Al Snih, J. E. Graham, Y. F. Kuo, J. S. Goodwin, K. S. Markides, and K. J. Ottenbacher, “Obesity and disability: relation among older adults living in latin america and the caribbean,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 171, no. 12, pp. 1282–1288, 2010.
- B. M. Popkin, L. S. Adair, and S. W. Ng, “Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 3–21, 2012.
- C. A. Monteiro, W. L. Conde, and B. M. Popkin, “Income-specific trends in obesity in Brazil: 1975–2003,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 1808–1812, 2007.
- C. A. Monteiro, W. L. Conde, and B. M. Popkin, “The burden of disease from undernutrition and overnutrition in countries undergoing rapid nutrition transition: a view from Brazil,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 433–434, 2004.
- C. A. Monteiro, W. L. Conde, and B. M. Popkin, “Independent effects of income and education on the risk of obesity in the Brazilian adult population,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 881S–886S, 2001.
- L. P. Corona, T. R. Pereira de Brito, D. P. Nunes, et al., “Nutritional status and risk for disability in instrumental activities of daily living in older Brazilians,” Public Health Nutrition, vol. 13, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- M. Monteverde, K. Noronha, A. Palloni, and B. Novak, “Obesity and excess mortality among the elderly in the United States and Mexico,” Demography, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 79–96, 2010.
- S. Al Snih, K. J. Ottenbacher, K. S. Markides, Y. F. Kuo, K. Eschbach, and J. S. Goodwin, “The effect of obesity on disability versus mortality in older Americans,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 167, no. 8, pp. 774–780, 2007.
- I. M. Majer, W. J. Nusselder, J. P. MacKenbach, and A. E. Kunst, “Life expectancy and life expectancy with disability of normal weight, overweight, and obese smokers and nonsmokers in Europe,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 1451–1459, 2011.
- H. K. Vincent, K. R. Vincent, and K. M. Lamb, “Obesity and mobility disability in the older adult,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 568–579, 2010.
- I. A. Lang, D. J. Llewellyn, K. Alexander, and D. Melzer, “Obesity, physical function, and mortality in older adults,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1474–1478, 2008.
- S. Larrieu, K. Pérès, L. Letenneur et al., “Relationship between body mass index and different domains of disability in older persons: the 3C study,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1555–1560, 2004.
- D. E. Alley and V. W. Chang, “The changing relationship of obesity and disability, 1988–2004,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 17, pp. 2020–2027, 2007.
- D. E. Alley, L. Ferrucci, M. Barbagallo, S. A. Studenski, and T. B. Harris, “A research agenda: the changing relationship between body weight and health in aging,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1257–1259, 2008.
- A. P. Carson, D. N. Holmes, and D. L. Howard, “Weight change and functional limitations among older adults in North Carolina,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 586–591, 2010.
- S. Al Snih, M. A. Raji, K. S. Markides, K. J. Ottenbacher, and J. S. Goodwin, “Weight change and lower body disability in older Mexican Americans,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 10, pp. 1730–1737, 2005.
- A. B. De Gonzalez, P. Hartge, J. R. Cerhan et al., “Body-mass index and mortality among 1.46 million white adults,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 23, pp. 2211–2219, 2010.
- L. C. Hwang, S. C. Chen, J. J. Tjung, H. Y. Chiou, C. J. Chen, and C. H. Tsai, “Body mass index as a predictor of mortality in older people in Taiwan,” International Journal of Gerontology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2009.
- Prospective Studies Collaboration, “Body-mass index and cause-specific mortality in 900 000 adults: collaborative analyses of 57 prospective studies,” The Lancet, vol. 373, no. 9669, pp. 1083–1096, 2009.
- A. Peeters, J. J. Barendregt, F. Willekens et al., “Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: a life-table analysis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 24–32, 2003.
- A. C. Tsai and M. Hsiao, “The association of body mass index (BMI) with all-cause mortality in older Taiwanese: results of a national cohort study,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 217–220, 2012.
- I. Janssen and A. E. Mark, “Elevated body mass index and mortality risk in the elderly,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 41–59, 2007.
- R. Bender, K. H. Jöckel, C. Trautner, M. Spraul, and M. Berger, “Effect of age on excess mortality in obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 16, pp. 1498–1504, 1999.
- K. M. Flegal, B. I. Graubard, D. F. Williamson, and M. H. Gail, “Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 293, no. 15, pp. 1861–1867, 2005.
- R. Huxley, F. Barzi, and M. Woodward, “Excess risk of fatal coronary heart disease associated with diabetes in men and women: meta-analysis of 37 prospective cohort studies,” British Medical Journal, vol. 332, no. 7533, pp. 73–76, 2006.
- M. Reuser, L. Bonneux, and F. Willekens, “The burden of mortality of obesity at middle and old age is small. A life table analysis of the US Health and Retirement Survey,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 601–607, 2008.
- S. L. Reynolds, Y. Saito, and E. M. Crimmins, “The impact of obesity on active life expectancy in older American men and women,” Gerontologist, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 438–444, 2005.
- E. Wong, B. Wang, L. Garrison, et al., “Examining the BMI-mortality relationship using fractional polynomials,” BMC Medical Research Methodology, vol. 11, no. 1, article 175, 2011.
- A. Zajacova and S. A. Burgard, “Shape of the BMI-mortality association by cause of death, using generalized additive models: NHIS 1986–2006,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 191–211, 2012.
- J. T. Gronniger, “A semiparametric analysis of the relationship of body mass index to mortality,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 173–178, 2006.
- A. Palloni, G. Pinto-Aguirre, and M. Pelaez, “Demographic and health conditions of ageing in Latin America and the Caribbean,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 762–771, 2002.
- R. Wong, M. Peláez, A. Palloni, and K. Markides, “Survey data for the study of aging in Latin America and the Caribbean: selected studies,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 157–179, 2006.
- C. Albala, M. L. Lebrão, E. M. L. Diaz, et al., “Salud, Bienestar y Envejecimiento (SABE): metodologia de la encuesta t perfil de la población estudiada,” Pan American Journal of Public Health, vol. 17, no. 5-6, pp. 307–322, 2005.
- F. C. D. Andrade, P. E. Guevara, M. L. Lebrão, Y. A. de Oliveira Duarte, and J. L. F. Santos, “Gender differences in life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy among older adults in São Paulo, Brazil,” Women's Health Issues, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 64–70, 2011.
- M. L. Lebrão and R. Laurenti, “Saúde, bem-estar e envelhecimento: o estudo SABE no município de São Paulo,” Revista Brasileira De Epidemiologia, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 127–141, 2005.
- F. C. D. Andrade, I. Vazquez-Vidal, and T. Flood, “One-year follow-up changes in weight are associated with changes in blood pressure in young Mexican adults,” Public Health, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 535–540, 2012.
- S. Walter, A. Kunst, J. MacKenbach, A. Hofman, and H. Tiemeier, “Mortality and disability: the effect of overweight and obesity,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1410–1418, 2009.
- H. Dong, M. Unosson, E. Wressle, and J. Marcusson, “Health consequences associated with being overweight or obese: a Swedish population-based study of 85-year-olds,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 243–250, 2012.
- C. S. Ritchie, J. L. Locher, D. L. Roth, T. McVie, P. Sawyer, and R. Allman, “Unintentional weight loss predicts decline in activities of daily living function and life-space mobility over 4 years among community-dwelling older adults,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 67–75, 2008.
- D. T. Villareal, C. M. Apovian, R. F. Kushner, and S. Klein, “Obesity in older adults: technical review and position statement of the American Society for Nutrition and NAASO, The Obesity Society,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 923–934, 2005.
- M. Thinggaard, R. Jacobsen, B. Jeune, T. Martinussen, and K. Christensen, “Is the relationship between bmi and mortality increasingly u-shaped with advancing age? A 10-year follow-up of persons aged 70–95 years,” Journals of Gerontology Series A, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 526–531, 2010.
- J. P. Curtis, J. G. Selter, Y. Wang, et al., “The obesity paradox: body mass index and outcomes in patients with heart failure,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 55–61, 2008.
- B. E. Alvarado, M. V. Zunzunegui, F. Béland, M. Sicotte, and L. Tellechea, “Social and gender inequalities in depressive symptoms among urban older adults of Latin America and the Caribbean,” Journals of Gerontology Series B, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. S226–S237, 2007.
- F. C. Andrade, “Measuring the impact of diabetes on life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy among older adults in Mexico,” The Journals of Gerontology Series B, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 381–389, 2010.
- M. C. S. Camargos, C. J. Machado, and R. Do Nascimento Rodrigues, “Disability life expectancy for the elderly, city of São Paulo, Brazil, 2000: gender and educational differences,” Journal of Biosocial Science, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 455–463, 2007.
- M. C. S. Camargos, C. J. Machado, and R. N. Rodrigues, “Life expectancy among elderly Brazilians in 2003 according to different levels of functional disability,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 845–852, 2008.
- S. Reyes-Beaman, C. Jagger, C. Garcia-Peña, O. Muñoz, P. E. Beaman, and B. Stafford, “Active life expectancy of older people in Mexico,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 213–219, 2005.
- C. A. Reyes-Ortiz, G. V. Ostir, M. Pelaez, and K. J. Ottenbacher, “Cross-national comparison of disability in Latin American and Caribbean persons aged 75 and older,” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2006.
- R. O. Guerra, B. E. Alvarado, and M. V. Zunzunegui, “Life course, gender and ethnic inequalities in functional disability in a Brazilian urban elderly population,” Aging, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 2008.
- J. L. F. Santos, M. L. Lebrão, Y. A. O. Duarte, and F. D. De Lima, “Functional performance of the elderly in instrumental activities of daily living: an analysis in the municipality of São Paulo, Brazil,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 879–886, 2008.
- M. F. Lima-Costa, S. V. Peixoto, D. L. Matos, J. O. A. Firmo, and E. Uchôa, “Predictors of 10-year mortality in a population of community-dwelling Brazilian elderly: the Bambuí cohort study of aging,” Cadernos De Saúde Pública, vol. 27, pp. s360–s369, 2011.
- N. M. de Vries, C. D. van Ravensberg, J. S. Hobbelen, M. G. Olde Rikkert, J. B. Staal, and M. W. Nijhuis-van der Sanden, “Effects of physical exercise therapy on mobility, physical functioning, physical activity and quality of life in community-dwelling older adults with impaired mobility, physical disability and/or multi-morbidity: a meta-analysis,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 136–149, 2012.
- F. R. Ferreira, C. C. César, V. P. Camargos, M. F. Lima-Costa, and F. A. Proietti, “Aging and urbanization: the neighborhood perception and functional performance of elderly persons in belo horizonte metropolitan area-Brazil,” Journal of Urban Health, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 54–66, 2010.
- M. V. Zunzunegui, B. E. Alvarado, F. Béland, and B. Vissandjee, “Explaining health differences between men and women in later life: a cross-city comparison in Latin America and the Caribbean,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 235–242, 2009.
- D. Wormser, S. Kaptoge, E. Di Angelantonio et al., “Separate and combined associations of body-mass index and abdominal adiposity with cardiovascular disease: collaborative analysis of 58 prospective studies,” The Lancet, vol. 377, no. 9771, pp. 1085–1095, 2011.
- T. Pischon, H. Boeing, K. Hoffmann et al., “General and abdominal adiposity and risk of death in Europe,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 20, pp. 2105–2120, 2008.
- T. Pischon, “Commentary: use of the body mass index to assess the risk of health outcomes: time to say goodbye?” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 528–529, 2010.
- A. A. Camarano and S. Kanso, “As instituições de longa permanência para idosos no Brasil,” Revista Brasileira de Estudos de População, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 232–235, 2010.