- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 732027, 8 pages
Impact of Diabetes and Hyperglycemia on Survival in Advanced Breast Cancer Patients
1Clínica de Cáncer de Mama, Instituto Nacional de Cancerología (INCan), 14080 México, DF, Mexico
2Departamento de Oncología Médica, INCan, 14080 México, DF, Mexico
3Unidad de Investigación Biomédica en Cáncer, INCan and Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
Received 1 February 2012; Revised 31 May 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Cynthia Villarreal-Garza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- 100,000 Will Die from Diabetes in Mexico in 2012, Medical News Today, 2007.
- Estadísticas a Propósito del día Mundial Contral el Cáncer. Datos Nacionales, Geografía INdEy, 2011.
- Globocan 2008, Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2008, Cancer. IAfRo, 2008.
- J. A. W. Chapman, D. Meng, L. Shepherd et al., “Competing causes of death from a randomized trial of extended adjuvant endocrine therapy for breast cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 252–260, 2008.
- I. Wolf, S. Sadetzki, R. Catane, A. Karasik, and B. Kaufman, “Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 103–111, 2005.
- F. Xue and K. B. Michels, “Diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and breast cancer: a review of the current evidence.,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. s823–835, 2007.
- S. C. Larsson, C. S. Mantzoros, and A. Wolk, “Diabetes mellitus and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 856–862, 2007.
- K. S. Peairs, B. B. Barone, C. F. Snyder et al., “Diabetes mellitus and breast cancer outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2011.
- L. V. Van De Poll-Franse, S. Houterman, M. L. G. Janssen-Heijnen, M. W. Dercksen, J. W. W. Coebergh, and H. R. Haak, “Less aggressive treatment and worse overall survival in cancer patients with diabetes: a large population based analysis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 120, no. 9, pp. 1986–1992, 2007.
- T. P. Srokowski, S. Fang, G. N. Hortobagyi, and S. H. Giordano, “Impact of diabetes mellitus on complications and outcomes of adjuvant chemotherapy in older patients with breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 13, pp. 2170–2176, 2009.
- K. Erickson, R. E. Patterson, S. W. Flatt et al., “Clinically defined type 2 diabetes mellitus and prognosis in early-stage breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 54–60, 2011.
- A. Belfiore, L. Frittitta, A. Costantino et al., “Insulin receptors in breast cancer,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 784, pp. 173–188, 1996.
- V. Papa and A. Belfiore, “Insulin receptors in breast cancer: biological and clinical role,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 324–333, 1996.
- T. J. Beckman, R. M. Cuddihy, S. M. Scheitel, J. M. Naessens, J. M. Killian, and V. Shane Pankratz, “Screening mammogram utilization in women with diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 2049–2053, 2001.
- B. P. Tabaei, W. H. Herman, A. F. Jabarin, and C. Kim, “Does diabetes care compete with the provision of women's preventive care services?” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 2644–2649, 2005.
- W. A. Satariano, “Comorbidity and functional status in older women with breast cancer: Implications for screening, treatment, and prognosis,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 47, pp. 24–31, 1992.
- W. J. Louwman, M. L. G. Janssen-Heijnen, S. Houterman et al., “Less extensive treatment and inferior prognosis for breast cancer patient with comorbidity: a population-based study,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 779–785, 2005.
- S. T. Fleming, A. Rastogi, A. Dmitrienko, and K. D. Johnson, “A comprehensive prognostic index to predict survival based on multiple comorbidities: a focus on breast cancer,” Medical Care, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 601–611, 1999.
- L. L. Lipscombe, P. J. Goodwin, B. Zinman, J. R. McLaughlin, and J. E. Hux, “The impact of diabetes on survival following breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 109, no. 2, pp. 389–395, 2008.
- J. M. M. Evans, L. A. Donnelly, A. M. Emslie-Smith, D. R. Alessi, and A. D. Morris, “Metformin and reduced risk of cancer in diabetic patients,” British Medical Journal, vol. 330, no. 7503, pp. 1304–1305, 2005.
- S. L. Bowker, S. R. Majumdar, P. Veugelers, and J. A. Johnson, “Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 254–258, 2006.
- S. Jiralerspong, A. M. G. Angulo, and M. C. Hung, “Expanding the arsenal: Metformin for the treatment of triple-negative breast cancer?” Cell Cycle, vol. 8, no. 17, p. 2681, 2009.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, and T. Y. Tai, “Secular trend for mortality from breast cancer and the association between diabetes and breast cancer in Taiwan between 1995 and 2006,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2009.