- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 471857, 15 pages
Performance Evaluation of Data Compression Systems Applied to Satellite Imagery
1Image Processing Division, National Institute for Space Research (INPE), 12227-001 São José dos Campos, SP, Brazil
2School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Campinas (Unicamp), 13083-852 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 30 June 2011; Revised 30 September 2011; Accepted 27 October 2011
Academic Editor: Bruno Aiazzi
Copyright © 2012 Lilian N. Faria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Salomon, Data Compression: The Complete Reference, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2007.
- National Institute for Space Research, “CBERS—China-Brazil earth resources satellite: history,” 2011, http://www.cbers.inpe.br/?hl=en&content=historico/.
- National Institute for Space Research, “CBERS—China-Brazil earth resources satellite: cameras, CBERS 1, 2, and 2B,” 2011, http://www.cbers.inpe.br/?hl=en&content=cameras1e2e2b/.
- National Institute for Space Research, “CBERS—China-Brazil earth resources satellite: cameras, CBERS 3 and 4,” 2011, http://www.cbers.inpe.br/?hl=en&content=cameras3e4/.
- R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, Prentice Hall, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2007.
- G. Yu, T. Vladimirova, and M. N. Sweeting, “Image compression systems on board satellites,” Acta Astronautica, vol. 64, no. 9-10, pp. 988–1005, 2009.
- I. H. Witten, R. M. Neal, and J. G. Cleary, “Arithmetic coding for data compression,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 520–540, 1987.
- D. A. Huffman, “A method for the construction of minimum-redundancy codes,” Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1098–1101, 1952.
- S. Golomb, “Run-length encoding,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 399–401, 1966.
- N. Moayeri, “A low-complexity, fixed-rate compression scheme for color images and documents,” The Hewlett-Packard Journal, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 46–52, 1998.
- W. B. Pennebaker and J. L. Mitchell, JPEG: Still Image Data Compression Standard, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 1992.
- ISO/IEC FCD 14495-1, “Lossless and near-lossless coding of continuous tone still images (JPEG-LS), ISO international standard,” July 1997.
- D. Taubman and M.W. Marcellin, JPEG2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards and Practice, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1st edition, 2001.
- A. Kiely and M. Klimesh, “The ICER progressive wavelet image compressor,” The Interplanetary Network Progress Report, vol. 42–155, pp. 1–46, 2003.
- A. Kiely, M. Klimesh, H. Xie, and N. Aranki, “ICER-3D: a progressive wavelet-based compressor for hyperspectral images,” The Interplanetary Network Progress Report, vol. 42–164, pp. 1–21, 2006.
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems, “CCSDS 122.0-B-1: image data compression, report concerning space data system standards, blue book,” November 2005.
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems, “CCSDS 120.1-G-1: image data compression, report concerning space data system standards, green book,” June 2007.
- ITU-T Recomendation T.832 ISO/IEC 29199-2, Information technology—JPEG XR image coding system—Image coding specification, ITU-T CCITT Recommendation, 2009.
- F. Dufaux, G. J. Sullivan, and T. Ebrahimi, “The JPEG XR image coding standard [Standards in a Nutshell],” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 195–204, 2009.
- C. Tu, S. Srinivasan, G. J. Sullivan, S. L. Regunathan, and H. S. Malvar, “Low-complexity hierarchical lapped transform for lossy-to-lossless image coding in JPEG XR/HD Photo,” Proceedings of SPIE Applications of Digital Image Processing XXXI, vol. 7073, 2008.
- China Academy of Space Technology, “Introduction to DCPM encoding algorithm in data transmission sub-system of PANMUX_IRMSS onboard CBERS 3&4 satellites,” *[S.l.]: CAST, (Wx CBERS03/04DPS.SM01), 2010.
- M. J. Weinberger, G. Seroussi, and G. Sapiro, “The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: principles and standardization into JPEG-LS,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 1309–1324, 2000.
- ITU-T T.81—ISO/IEC10918-1, digital compression and coding of continuous-tone images, requirements and guidelines, ITU CCITT recommendation, September 1992.
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems, “CCSDS 120.0.G-2: lossless data compression, recommendation for space data systems standards, green book,” December 2006.
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems, “CCSDS 121.0.B-1: lossless data compression, blue book,” May 1997.
- P.-S. Yeh, P. Armbruster, A. Kiely et al., “The new CCSDS image compression recommendation,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 4138–4145, March 2005.
- “LOCO-I/JPEG-LS reference encoder—v.1.00,” May 2011, http://www.hpl.hp.com/loco/software.htm/.
- “An implementation of CCSDS 122.0-B-1 recommended standard,” May 2011, http://hyperspectral.unl.edu/.
- ISO/IEC FCD 29199-5, “Information technology—JPEG XR image coding system—part 5: reference software,” [ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N 5020], May 2011.
- Z. Wang and A. C. Bovik, “Mean squared error: lot it or leave it? A new look at signal fidelity measures,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 98–117, 2009.
- Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image quality assessment: from error visibility to structural similarity,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 600–612, 2004.
- Z. Wang, “The SSIM index for image quality assessment,” http://www.cns.nyu.edu/lcv/ssim/.
- National Institute for Space Research, “Image catalog,” May 2011, http://www.dgi.inpe.br/CDSR/.