Research Article | Open Access
Semi-Automatic Anatomical Tree Matching for Landmark-Based Elastic Registration of Liver Volumes
One promising approach to register liver volume acquisitions is based on the branching points of the vessel trees as anatomical landmarks inherently available in the liver. Automated tree matching algorithms were proposed to automatically find pair-wise correspondences between two vessel trees. However, to the best of our knowledge, none of the existing automatic methods are completely error free. After a review of current literature and methodologies on the topic, we propose an efficient interaction method that can be employed to support tree matching algorithms with important pre-selected correspondences or after an automatic matching to manually correct wrongly matched nodes. We used this method in combination with a promising automatic tree matching algorithm also presented in this work. The proposed method was evaluated by 4 participants and a CT dataset that we used to derive multiple artificial datasets.
- T. Lange, S. Wörz, K. Rohr, and P. M. Schlag, Landmark-based 3d Elastic Registration of Pre- and Postoperative Liver CT Data, Bildverarbeitung für die Medizin (BVM), 2009.
- P. Hassenpflug, Gefäß basierte Registrierung zur Computer gestützten Navigation in der Leberchirurgie, Ph.D. Dissertation, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität, 2004.
- A. Charnoz, V. Agnus, G. Malandain, L. Soler, and M. Tajine, “Tree Matching Applied to Vascular System,” in Graph-based Representation in Pattern Recognition, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3434, pp. 183–192, Springer, 2005.
- T. Lohe, T. Kröger, S. Zidowitz, H.-O. Peitgen, and X. Jiang, “Hierarchical matching of anatomical trees for medical image registration,” in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Medical Biometrics (ICMB), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 4901, pp. 224–231, Springer, 2008.
- J. H. Metzen, T. Kröger, A. Schenk, S. Zidowitz, H.-O. Peitgen, and X. Jiang, “Matching of tree Structures for Registration of Medical Images,” in Graph-Based Representations in Pattern Recognition, Springer, 2007.
- T. Lange, N. Papenberg, S. Heldmann et al., “3D Ultrasound-CT Registration of the Liver Using Combined Landmark-Intensity Information,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS), vol. 4, pp. 79–88, 2009.
- T. Heimann and H.-P. Meinzer, “Statistical Shape Models for 3D Medical Image Segmentation: A Review,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 543–563, 2009.
- D. Furukawa, A. Shimizu, and H. Kobatake, “Automatic Liver Segmentation based on Maximum a Posterior Probability Estimation and Level set Method,” in Proc. MICCAI Workshop 3-D Segmentat. Clinic: A Grand Challenge, pp. 117–124, 2007.
- S. Pan and B. M. Dawant, “Automatic 3-D Segmentation of the Liver from Abdominal CT Images: A Level-set Approach,” in Proc. SPIE Med. Imag.: Image Process, M. Sonka and K. M. Hanson, Eds., vol. 4322, pp. 128–138, 2001.
- R. Beichel, C. Bauer, A. Bornik, E. Sorantin, and H. Bischof, “Liver Segmentation in CT Data: A Segmentation Refinement Approach,” in Proc. MICCAI Workshop 3-D Segmentat. Clinic: A Grand Challenge, pp. 235–245, 2007.
- G. Schmidt, M. A. Athelogou, R. Schönmeyer, R. Korn, and G. Binnig, “Cognition Network Technology for a Fully Automated 3-D Segmentation of Liver,” in Proc. MICCAI Workshop 3-D Segmentat. Clinic: A Grand Challenge, pp. 125–133, 2007.
- T. Heimann et al., “Comparison and Evaluation of Methods for Liver Segmentation from CT Datasets,” IEEE Trans Med Imaging, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1251–1265, 2009.
- C. Kirbas and F. K. H. Quek, “Vessel Extraction Techniques and Algorithms: A Survey,” in Proceedings of the third IEEE Symposium on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, pp. 238–245, 2003.
- D. Selle, B. Preim, A. Schenk, and H.-O. Peitgen, “Analysis of Vasculature for Liver Surgical Planning,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1344–1357, 2002.
- Z. Lin, J. Jin, and H. Talbot, “Unseeded Region Growing for 3D Image Segmentation,” in Selected Papers from the Pan-Sydney Workshop on Visualisation, pp. 31–37, Australian Computer Society, Inc., 2001.
- D. Selle, W. Spindler, B. Preim, and H.-O. Peitgen, “Mathematical Methods in Medical Imaging: Analysis of Vascular Structures for Liver Surgery Planning,” in Mathematics Unlimited - 2001 and Beyond, B. Enquist and W. Schmid, Eds., pp. 103–109, Springer, 2000.
- P. Perona and J. Malik, “Scale-Space and Edge Detection Using Anisotropic Diffusion,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 629–639, 1990.
- Y. Sato, S. Nakajima, N. Shiraga et al., “Three-dimensional multi-scale line filter for segmentation and visualization of curvilinear structures in medical images,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 2, pp. 143–168, 1998.
- A. F. Frangi, W. J. Niessen, K. L. Vincken, and M. A. Viergever, “Multiscale Vessel Enhancement Filtering,” in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Interventation (MICCAI), p. 1496, Springer, 1998.
- C. Bauer and H. Bischof, “A Novel Approach for Detection of Tubular Objects and its Application to Medical Image Analysis,” in Proceedings of the 30th DAGM Symposium on Pattern Recognition, Springer, 2008.
- H. E. Bennink, H. C. van Assen, G. J. Streekstra, R. ter Wee, J. A. E. Spaan, and B. M. ter Haar Romeny, “A Novel 3D Multi-scale Lineness Filter for Vessel Detection,” in Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Interventation (MICCAI), N. Ayache, S. Ourselin, and A. J. Maeder, Eds., vol. 4792, pp. 436–443, Springer, 2007.
- W.-P. Choi, K.-M. Lam, and W.-C. Siu, “Extraction of the Euclidean Skeleton Based on a Connectivity Criterion,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 721–729, 2003.
- L. Latecki, Q. Li, X. Bai, and W. Liu, “Skeletonization Using SSM of the Distance Transform,” in International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), vol. 5, pp. 349–352, 2007.
- M. Ilg and R. Ogniewicz, “The Application of Voronoi Skeletons to Perceptual Grouping in Line Images,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 382–385, 1992.
- K. Palágyi, J. Tschirren, and M. Sonka, “Quantitative Analysis of Intrathoracic Airway Trees: Methods and Validation,” in Information Processing in Medical Imaging, vol. 2732, pp. 222–233, Springer, 2003.
- T. Lee, R. L. Kashyap, and C. Chu, “Building Skeleton Models via 3-D Medical Surface/Axis Thinning Algorithms,” in Graphical Models and Image Processing, vol. 56, pp. 462–478, Academic Press, 1994.
- M. Pelillo, K. Siddiqi, and S. Zucker, “Matching Hierarchical Structures Using Association Graphs,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1105–1120, 1999.
- S. Gold and A. Rangarajan, “A Graduated Assignment Algorithm for Graph Matching,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 377–388, 1996.
- S. Medasani, R. Krishnapuram, and Y. Choi, “Graph Matching by Relaxation of Fuzzy Assignments,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 173–182, 2001.
- A. Charnoz, V. Agnus, G. Malandain, L. Soler, and M. Tajine, “Tree Matching Applied to Vascular System,” in Graph-based Representation in Pattern Recognition, pp. 183–192, Springer, 2005.
- J. Tschirren, G. McLennan, K. Palagyi, E. Hoffman, and M. Sonka, “Matching and Anatomical Labeling of Human Airway Tree,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1540–1547, 2005.
- J. N. Kaftan, A. P. Kiraly, D. P. Naidich, and C. L. Novak, “A Novel Multipurpose Tree and Path Matching Algorithm with Application to Airway Trees,” Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, 215–224, 2006.
- M. W. Graham and W. E. Higgins, “Globally Optimal Model-based Matching of Anatomical Trees,” in Proceedings of SPIE - Medical Imaging 2006: Image Processing, 614415, 2006.
- VOXEL-MAN Group, Voxel-Man Organ Atlas, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, 2008.
- C. Lorenz and J. v. Berg, “A Comprehensive Shape Model of the Heart,” Medical Image Analysis, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 657–670, 2006.
- R. Whitaker and X. Xue, “Variable-Conductance, Level-Set Curvature for Image Denoising,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 3, pp. 142–145, 2001.
- T.-C. Lee, R. L. Kashyap, and C.-N. Chu, “Building Skeleton Models via 3-D Medial Surface/Axis Thinning Algorithms,” Graphical Models and Image Process (CVGIP), vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 462–478, 1994.
- Y. Chen, C. O. Laura, and K. Drechsler, “Generation of a Graph Representation from Threedimensional Skeletons of the Liver Vasculature,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on BioMedical Engineering and Informatics (BMEI), 2009.
Copyright © 2010 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.