Research Article | Open Access
Rita Noumeir, "Requirements for Interoperability in Healthcare Information Systems", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 3, Article ID 354580, 24 pages, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22126.96.36.1993
Requirements for Interoperability in Healthcare Information Systems
Interoperability is a requirement for the successful deployment of Electronic Health Records (EHR). EHR improves the quality of healthcare by enabling access to all relevant information at the diagnostic decision moment, regardless of location. It is a system that results from the cooperation of several heterogeneous distributed subsystems that need to successfully exchange information relative to a specific healthcare process. This paper analyzes interoperability impediments in healthcare by first defining them and providing concrete healthcare examples, followed by discussion of how specifications can be defined and how verification can be conducted to eliminate those impediments and ensure interoperability in healthcare. This paper also analyzes how Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) has been successful in enabling interoperability, and identifies some neglected aspects that need attention.
- The HIMSS Integration and Interoperability Steering Committee (I&I), , Interoperability Definition and Background, 2005, http://www.himss.org/content/files/interoperability_definition_background_060905.pdf, Accessed October 18, 2011.
- P. Muñoz, J. D. Trigo, I. Martínez, A. Muñoz, J. Escayola, and J. García, “The ISO/EN, 13606 Standard for the Interoperable Exchange of Electronic Health Records,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 2011.
- The Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) standard. DICOM Homepage, http://medical.nema.org, Accessed October 18, 2011.
- R. Noumeir, “Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise Process,” Int. J. Healthcare Technology & Management, vol. 9, pp. 167–180, 2008.
- MESA software, IHE Test Tools, http://ihedoc.wustl.edu/mesasoftware/index.htm, Accessed October 18, 2011.
- NIST Manufacturing Business to Business (B2B) Interoperability Testbed, http://www.mel.nist.gov/msid/b2btestbed, Accessed October 12, 2010.
- E. J. Barkmeyer, A. Barnard Feeney, P. O. Denno et al., “Concepts for Automating Systems Integration,” NIST Interagency/Internal Report 6928, NISTIR, 2003.
- S. Junho, K. Jaewook, and N. Ivezic, “Application information mapping test: an efficient content-level semantic equivalence test procedure for B2B integration,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 976–986, 2009.
- OASIS ebXML Implementation, Interoperability and Conformance Technical Committee, ebXML Test Framework Committee Specification, version 1. 1. 2004.
- K. Dongsoo and Y. Jung-Hee, Development of an ebXML Conformance Test System for e-Business Solutions, vol. 2738 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2003, 145-154.
- P. Bednar, K. Furdik, M. Kleimann, R. Klischewski, M. Skokan, and S. Ukena, “Semantic integration of eGovernment services in Schleswig-Holstein,” in 7th International Conference Electronic Government – EGOV, vol. 5184 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 315–327, 2008.
- Y. S. Jeong, C. M. Eastman, R. Sacks, and I. Kaner, “Benchmark tests for BIM data exchanges of precast concrete,” Automation in Construction, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 469–484, 2009.
- C. M. Eastman, Y. S. Jeong, R. Sacks, and I. Kaner, “Exchange model and exchange object concepts for implementation of national BIM standards,” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2010.
- E. Lambert, “Return of experience regarding use of IEC CIM standard in distribution,” in IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, vol. 5, 2008.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, NIST Health IT Standards and Testing web site, http://healthcare.nist.gov/index.html, Accessed October 12, 2011.
- S. Saboor, A. Hörbst, and E. Ammenwerth, “Quality of Electronic Health Records - Coverage of Potential Information Weaknesses by Major EHR Quality Seals,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 365–388, 2011.
- “Open Distributed Processing: Reference Model – Part 1: Overview,” ISO/IEC IS 10746 ITU-T X. 900, International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland, 1998.
- Work begins on Ontario's fourth and final diagnostic imaging repository, http://www.infoway-inforoute.ca/lang-en/about-infoway/news/news-releases/745-work-begins-on-ontarios-fourth-and-final-diagnostic-imaging-repository, Accessed October 12, 2011.
- IHE Technical Framework and supplements, http://www.ihe.net/Technical_Framework/index.cfm, Accessed October 18, 2011.
- R. Noumeir and J. F. Pambrun, “Images within the Electronic Health Record,” in IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 1761–1764.
- R. Noumeir, “Sharing Medical Documents and Images: Architecture and Communication Infrastructure,” IEEE IT-Professional, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 46–52, 2011.
- T. Namli, G. Aluc, and A. Dogac, “An interoperability test framework for HL7-based systems,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 389–399, 2009.
- D. E. Vega, I. Schieferdecker, and G. Din, “Design of a test framework for automated interoperability testing of healthcare information systems,” in 2nd International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine, pp. 134–140, 2010.
- R. Noumeir and R. Bérubé, “IHE cross-enterprise document sharing for imaging: interoperability testing software,” Source Code For Biology and Medicine, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 9–15, 2010.
- L. Gebase, R. Snelick, and M. Skall, “Conformance testing and interoperability: a case study in healthcare data exchange,” in Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Software Engineering Research & Practice, pp. 143–149, 2008.
Copyright © 2012 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.