Research Article | Open Access
Maryam Azimi, Ali K. Kamrani, Hazem J. Smadi, "Statistics-Based Prediction Analysis for Head and Neck Cancer Tumor Deformation", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 3, Article ID 841876, 16 pages, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-2218.104.22.1681
Statistics-Based Prediction Analysis for Head and Neck Cancer Tumor Deformation
Most of the current radiation therapy planning systems, which are based on pre-treatment Computer Tomography (CT) images, assume that the tumor geometry does not change during the course of treatment. However, tumor geometry is shown to be changing over time. We propose a methodology to monitor and predict daily size changes of head and neck cancer tumors during the entire radiation therapy period. Using collected patients' CT scan data, MATLAB routines are developed to quantify the progressive geometric changes occurring in patients during radiation therapy. Regression analysis is implemented to develop predictive models for tumor size changes through entire period. The generated models are validated using leave-one-out cross validation. The proposed method will increase the accuracy of therapy and improve patient's safety and quality of life by reducing the number of harmful unnecessary CT scans.
- A. Kamrani and M. Azimi, “Geometrical modeling of H&N cancer tumor,” Journal of Rapid Prototyping, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2011.
- A. Mohamed, K. S. Kyriacou, and C. Davatzikos, “A statistical approach for estimating brain tumor induced deformation,” in IEEE workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis, pp. 52–59, 2001.
- A. Zizzari, U. Seiffert, B. Michaelis, G. Gademann, and S. Swiderski, “Detection of tumor in digital images of the brain,” in Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Signal Processing, Pattern recognition and Applications, pp. 132–137, Rhodes, Greece, 2001.
- A. Kamrani, I. Heramb, and R. George, “Rapid Prototyping Applications in Cancer Tumor Deformation Modeling,” in 34th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, San Francisco, CA, 2004.
- K. H. Hohne, M. Bomans, A. Pommert et al., “3D-Visualization of tomographic volume data using the generalized voxel model,” The Visual Computer, vol. 6, pp. 28–36, 1990.
- D. Shen, E. H. Herskovits, and C. Davatzikos, “An adaptive-focus statistical shape model for segmentation and shape modeling of 3-D brain structures,” IEEE transactions on medical imaging, vol. 20, pp. 257–270, 2001.
- T. F. Cootes, D. Cooper, C. J. Taylor, and J. Grahant, “Active shape models-their training and application,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 61, pp. 38–59, 1995.
- Y. Wang and L. H. Staib, “Elastic model based non-rigid registration incorporating statistical shape Information,” in Proceeding of MICCAI, pp. 1162–1173, 1998.
- P. Korn, N. Sidiropoulos, C. Faloutsos, E. Siegel, and Z. Protopapas, “Fast and effective retrieval of medical tumor shapes,” IEEE transactions on knowledge and data engineering, vol. 10, pp. 889–904, 1998.
- C. Kervrann and F. Heitz, “Statistical deformable model-based segmentation of image motion,” IEEE transactions on image processing, vol. 8, pp. 583–588, 1999.
- M. Ferrant, B. Macq, A. Nabavi, and S. K. Warfield, “Deformable Modeling for Characterizing Biomedical Shape Changes,” in Proceedings of 9th international conference on Discrete Geometry for Computer Imagery, pp. 235–248, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2001.
- K. Miller and K. Chinzei, “Constitutive modeling of brain tissue,” Experiment and Theory. J. Biomechanics, vol. 30, pp. 1115–1121, 1997.
- D. Davatzikos, D. Shen, A. Mohamed, and S. Kyriacou, “A framework for predictive modeling of anatomical deformations,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 20, pp. 836–843, 2001.
- P. R. Andersen, F. L. Bookstein, K. Conradsen, B. K. Ersboll, J. L. Marsh, and S. Kreiborg, “Surface bounded growth modeling applied to human mandibles,” IEEE transactions on medical imaging, vol. 19, pp. 1053–1063, 2000.
- A. A. Asachenkov, “Nonlinear models and data analysis of cancer patients,” in IEEE international symposium on circuits and systems, vol. 3, pp. 1617–1619, 1989.
- M. Garbey and G. Zouridakis, “Modeling tumor growth: From differential deformable models to growth prediction of tumors detected in PET images,” in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Conference on IEEE EMBS, vol. 3, pp. 2687–2690, Cancun, Mexico, 2003.
- A. Kamrani and M. Azimi, “Geometrical Modeling of H&N Cancer Tumor,” Journal of Rapid Prototyping, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 55–63, 2011.
- D. Delen, G. Walker, and A. Kadam, “Predicting breast cancer survivability: a comparison of three data mining methods,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 34, pp. 113–127, 2005.
- A. Oztekin, D. Delen, and Z. J. Kong, “Predicting the graft survival for heart-lung transplantation patients: an integrated data mining methodology,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 78, pp. e84–e96, 2009.
- A. Kusiak, B. Dixon, and S. Shah, “Predicting survival time for kidney dialysis patient: a data mining approach,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 35, pp. 311–327, 2005.
- P. C. Pendharkar, J. A. Rodger, G. J. Yaverbaum, N. Herman, and M. Benner, “Association, statistical, mathematical and neural approaches for mining breast cancer patterns,” Expert System with Applications, vol. 17, pp. 223–232, 1999.
- C. T. Su, C. H. Yang, K. H. Hsu, and W. K. Chiu, “Data mining for diagnosis of type II diabetes from three-dimensional body surface anthropometrical scanning data,” Computers and Mathematics with Applications, vol. 51, pp. 1075–1092, 2006.
- S. M. Chou, T. S. Lee, Y. E. Shao, and I. F. Chen, “Mining the breast cancer pattern using artificial neural networks and multivariate adaptive regression splines,” Expert Systems with Application, vol. 27, pp. 133–142, 2004.
- W. J. Kuo, R. F. Chang, D. R. Chen, and C. C. Lee, “Data mining with decision trees for diagnosis of breast tumor in medical ultrasonic images,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 66, pp. 51–57, 2001.
- T. A. Jilani, H. Yasin, M. Yasin, and C. Ardil, “Acute coronary syndrome prediction using data mining techniques-An application,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 59, pp. 474–478, 2009.
- J. Chhatwal, O. Alagoz, M. J. Lindstrom, C. E. Kahn, K. A. Shaffer, and E. S. Burnside, “A logistic regression model based on national mammography database format to aid breast cancer diagnosis,” AJR Am J Roentgenol, vol. 192, pp. 1117–1127, 2009.
- Y. Chen, S. Wang, C. H. Shen, and F. K. Choy, “Intelligent identification of childhood musical murmurs,” Journal of Healthcare Engineerng, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 125–140, 2012.
- A. A. Hanna and N. D. Keizer, “Integrating classification trees with local logistic regression in intensive Care prognosis,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 29, pp. 5–23, 2003.
- M. Ture, F. Tokatli, and I. K. Omurlu, “The comparisons of prognostic indexes using data mining techniques and Cox regression analysis in the breast cancer data,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, pp. 8247–8254, 2009.
- A. Osareh and B. Shadgar, “Classification and diagnostic prediction of cancers using gene microarray data analysis,” Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 9, pp. 459–468, 2009.
- T. Jonsdottir, E. T. Hvannberg, H. Sigurdsson, and S. Sigurdsson, “The feasibility of constructing a predictive outcome model for breast cancer using the tools of data mining,” Expert System with Applications, vol. 34, pp. 108–118, 2008.
- J. M. Jerez-Aragones, J. A. Gomez-Ruiz, G. Ramos-Jimenez, J. Munoz-Perez, and E. Alba-Cpnejo, “A combined neural network and decision trees model for prognosis of breast cancer relapse,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 27, pp. 45–63, 2003.
- H. Inamdar, A. Kamrani, and R. George, “Rapid prototyping application in cancer tumor deformation modeling,” in Proceeding of the 34th international conference on computers and industrial engineering, 2004.
- R. Olszewski, “Surgical engineering in Cranio-Maxillofacial surgery: A literature review,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53–86, 2012.
- R. M. Mickey, O. L. Dunn, and V. A. Clark, Applied Statistics Analysis of Variance and Regression, Wiley and Sons Inc, New Jersey, 3rd edition, 2004.
- M. Kima, A. Ghateb, and M. H. Phillipsa, “A stochastic control formalism for dynamic biologically conformal radiation therapy,” European Journal of operation research, vol. 219, pp. 541–556, 2012.
- M. Kim, A. Ghate, and M. H. Phillips, “A Markov decision process approach to temporal modulation of dose fractions in radiation therapy planning,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 54, pp. 4455–4476, 2009.
- M. C. Ferris and M. M. Voelker, “Fractionation in radiation treatment planning,” Math Programming, vol. 101, pp. 387–413, 2004.
- K. R. Swanson, “Can math cure cancer?” Forbes magazine, 2008.
Copyright © 2012 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.