Research Article | Open Access
Waressara Weerawat, Juta Pichitlamken, Peerapong Subsombat, "A Generic Discrete-Event Simulation Model for Outpatient Clinics in a Large Public Hospital", Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 4, Article ID 798050, 22 pages, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1260/2040-22220.127.116.115
A Generic Discrete-Event Simulation Model for Outpatient Clinics in a Large Public Hospital
The orthopedic outpatient department (OPD) ward in a large Thai public hospital is modeled using Discrete-Event Stochastic (DES) simulation. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are used to measure effects across various clinical operations during different shifts throughout the day. By considering various KPIs such as wait times to see doctors, percentage of patients who can see a doctor within a target time frame, and the time that the last patient completes their doctor consultation, bottlenecks are identified and resource-critical clinics can be prioritized. The simulation model quantifies the chronic, high patient congestion that is prevalent amongst Thai public hospitals with very high patient-to-doctor ratios. Our model can be applied across five different OPD wards by modifying the model parameters. Throughout this work, we show how DES models can be used as decision-support tools for hospital management.
- A. M. Law, Simulation Modeling & Analysis, McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 4th edition, 2007.
- S. G. Henderson and B. L. Nelson, Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science: Simulation, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2006.
- A. F. Seila and S. Brailsford, “Opportunities and challenges in health care simulation,” in Advancing the Frontiers of Simulation: A Festschrift in Honor of George Samuel Fishman, International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, pp. 195–229, Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, 2009.
- M. L. Weng and A. A. Houshmand, “Healthcare simulation: a case study at a local clinic,” in Proceeding of the 1999 Winter Simulation Conference, P. A. Farrington, H. B. Nembhard, D. T. Sturrock, and G. W. Evans, Eds., pp. 1577–1584, 1999.
- A. Raouf and M. Ben-Daya, “Outpatient clinic's staffing: a case Study,” International Journal of Health Care Quality, vol. 10, pp. 229–232, 1997.
- Z. C. Zhu, B. H. Heng, and K. L. Teow, “Simulation study of the optimal appointment number for outpatient clinics,” International Journal of Simulation Modelling, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 156–165, 2009.
- A. Wijewickrama and S. Takakuwa, “Simulation analysis of appointment scheduling in an outpatient department of internal medicine,” in Proceeding of the 2005 Winter Simulation Conference, M. E. Kuhl, N. M. Steiger, F. B. Armstrong, and J. A. Joines, Eds., pp. 2264–2273, 2005.
- S. Su and C.-L. Shih, “Managing a mixed-registration-type appointment system in outpatient clinic,” International Journal of Medical Informatics, vol. 70, pp. 31–40, 2003.
- S. M. Ballard and M. E. Kuhl, “The use of simulation to determine maximum capacity in the surgical suit operating room,” in Proceeding of the 2006 Winter Simulation Conference, L. F. Perrone, F. P. Wieland, J. Liu, B. G. Lawson, D. M. Nicol, and R. M. Fujimoto, Eds., pp. 433–438, 2006.
- F. F. Beasler, H. E. Jahnsen, and M. DaCosta, “The use of simulation and design of experiments for estimating maximum capacity in an emergency room,” in Proceeding of the 2003 Winter Simulation Conference, S. Chick, P. J. Sanchez, D. Ferrin, and D. J. Morrice, Eds., pp. 1903–1906, 2003.
- G. Werker, A. Sauré, J. French, and S. Shechter, “The use of discrete-event simulation modelling to improve radiation therapy planning process,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 92, pp. 76–82, 2009.
- C. Duguay and F. Chetouane, “Modeling and improving emergency department systems using discrete event simulation,” Simulation, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 311–320, 2007.
- S. Brenner, Z. Zeng, Y. Liu, J. Wang, J. Li, and P. K. Howard, “Modeling and analysis of the emergency department at university of Kentucky Chandler Hospital using simulations,” Journal of Emergency Nursing, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 303–310, 2010.
- V. A. Raghavan, V. Venkatadri, V. Kesavakumaran, S. Wang, M. Khasawneh, and K. Srihari, “Reengineering the cardiac catheterization lab processes: a lean approach,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, pp. 45–65, 2010.
- J. P. Oddoye, D. F. Jones, M. Tamiz, and P. Schmidt, “Combining simulation and goal programming for healthcare planning in a medical assessment unit,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 193, pp. 250–261, 2009.
- J. R. Villamizar, W. C. A. Pereira, F. C. Coelli, and R. M. V. R. Almeida, “Discrete-event computer simulation methods in the optimisation of a physiotherapy clinic,” Physiotherapy, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 71–77, 2010.
- Q. Su, X. Yao, P. Su, J. Shi, Y. Zhu, and L. Xue, “Hospital registration process reengineering using simulation method,” Journal of Healthcare Engineering, vol. 1, pp. 67–82, 2010.
- W. D. Kelton, R. P. Sadowski, and N. B. Swets, Simulation with Arena, McGraw-Hill, Inc, New York, 5th edition, 2010.
- J. Banks, J. S. Carson, B. L. Nelson, and D. M. Nicol, Discrete-Event System Simulation, Prentice-Hall, 5th edition, 2009.
Copyright © 2013 Hindawi Publishing Corporation. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.